the wood gods have smiled on me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
the land behind me is getting cleared for tillable .I asked if I could cut some firewood and was told ' its mostly poplar , cut as much as you want '. well it is 3/4 poplar . but the woodshed is filling up fast with cherry ,beech, maple , yellow birch , hickory , apple , ash and elm . its real nice to be cutting within sight of the woodshed .

I see a lot of poplar in your stacks. I'd take some too as long as it is close and easy to get or in the way of getting the good stuff.
ive been cutting poplar when its in the way . today I cut nothing but hickory . when ive cut all the hardwood I can get to ill cut as much poplar as I can till my sheds are full .

Do they tax carports, or portable buildings? How about backyard canopys?

yep. remember, this is NYS...they tax every thing and any thing. not sure about portable buildings...I'd have to ask.

they were going to tax me for a 34 foot deck they said we had. we have no deck, so we went to the town and protested it. come to find out, they use Google maps and compare them to google maps from two years prior....sneaky..eh? and what they thought was a deck along our house was, in fact, my wife's garden!!! LOL saved a $3,000 tax bill.

then, he saw the central air condenser...and said they have to tax us for that. LOL

you just can't win....gotta love NY

yep. remember, this is NYS...they tax every thing and any thing. not sure about portable buildings...I'd have to ask.

they were going to tax me for a 34 foot deck they said we had. we have no deck, so we went to the town and protested it. come to find out, they use Google maps and compare them to google maps from two years prior....sneaky..eh? and what they thought was a deck along our house was, in fact, my wife's garden!!! LOL saved a $3,000 tax bill.

then, he saw the central air condenser...and said they have to tax us for that. LOL

Boy does that suck! I mean, well and truly suck! Hmm..hmm..lenme see..A BIG family tent? I've seen some whoppers, pitch it securely up on pallets and tie it down good so it doesn't blow away, open up the windows, etc when it is not raining out. Honest, can't think of much more other than maybe a used big camping trailer, look for a deal on a ratted out one, gut it completely.

Boy does that suck! I mean, well and truly suck! Hmm..hmm..lenme see..A BIG family tent? I've seen some whoppers, pitch it securely up on pallets and tie it down good so it doesn't blow away, open up the windows, etc when it is not raining out. Honest, can't think of much more other than maybe a used big camping trailer, look for a deal on a ratted out one, gut it completely.

Heh, I picked one up a few years ago that was too far gone to try fixing, 30' 1976 Sprinter. So, pulled the fridge out, only 5 years old or so, sold for $150. Pulled the AC which was about the same age, ended up putting on our camper we bought a few years later. Was gonna scrap it, or burn and keep the frame. An old scrapper seen it and got my $300 back out of it. He used it to hoard scrap, I assume copper and aluminum. He had to have license up to date so the town Nazis didn't make him remove it. It was an ugly lookin SOB. I laughed every time I rode by. He finally sold the property it was on and not sure where it ended up.

Sheds on skids are not taxed. All those Amish made sheds with runners on the bottom are considered mobile and tax exempt in NY. ;)

the drifts are getting too deep for me to get out back . so far I got 24 facecord of mixed hardwood and 7 of poplar . it does go quick when cutting in sight of the woodshed .when I can get back out there , ill cut till I run out of room .

allstihl, I have the same type of deal behind me only it's trees and all. The ash are just starting to show signs of being a real problem quickly. I already cut 100's of poplars and ash down but I'm keeping everything separate. I'm sort of cutting by sections. I go in 1st and remove all the dangerous standing dead stuff and all the stuff already on the ground, cut to 8 to 12' and put it in big limb piles for my buzzsaw. This makes some decent trails to get the standing wood out. Then I go in and cut the poplars, drag them to a landing then haul them home and pile for processing later. Then I go in and cut the ash leaving the biggest trees standing. I'll save those for last, they are petty healthy and make a pile of wood in a hurry. There is also a section with cedar too, I've got almost all the poplar and smaller ash out of that section so this year I will go in and remove the cedar that is leaning or in the way. I need cedar posts to make a fence otherwise I would just leave it there until I have time to cut out the posts to sell. Maybe around 50 acres so it's gonna keep me stocked as long as I keep the current owners happy. Big cash crop farmers so I keep the fence lines and crop fields clean 1st. I also clean up a few big stones after they plough the fields. Anything to keep them happy. If I were you I would keep the poplar separate and use it up 1st so you have a long time supply of good hardwood. Do a good job of the tops and the owner will likely let you keep the place cleaned up.
1st pic is crates of 24" split poplar. 2nd is poplar trees that my daughter cut down, 1st time running a saw. 3rd pic shows the poplar section which is basically the outside 150' around the bush. 4th pic is of the ash or mainly hardwood section of the bush. Much thinner but of course better wood. My family used to own the bush.
IMG_00001937.jpg IMG_00000038.jpg IMG_00000089.jpg IMG_00001646.jpg

Latest posts

Back