The worth of a BRAND NEW 066 MAG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would make sense, if there wasn't a newer and better model available for the same price. Why on earth would anybody pay the same money for a saw that is 15 years older, and arguably less capable?
Your situation is like dealing with a classic car. You wanted that piece for some reason other than for proffesional use, sure you may be planning on using it in the field, but it's special to you for another reason, and that is why you paid what you did. Remeber classic cars arent classics untill they're 20yo LOL

I doubt the 066 MAG is less capable than a MS660! :popcorn::popcorn:

That would make sense, if there wasn't a newer and better model available for the same price. Why on earth would anybody pay the same money for a saw that is 15 years older, and arguably less capable?
Your situation is like dealing with a classic car. You wanted that piece for some reason other than for proffesional use, sure you may be planning on using it in the field, but it's special to you for another reason, and that is why you paid what you did. Remeber classic cars arent classics untill they're 20yo LOL

Uhhhhhhhhhhh cuse me sir but there is no better 90cc Stihl saw than the sqaure back 066, none made today. Did you know that 066 would hand a new 660 its azz in the cut, has a bit more power than the EPA choked down 660's.

Now tell me what would you give for that saw knowing side by side it will emabarrass your 660. Would it not be worth the same 1100. the 660's fetch today?

You are correct however about whether its going to be used or be collected. Once that 066 is all scratched up and beat up its value drops way off, kinda like that old rusted out 57 Chevy sitting behind the barn with 0 miles on it, it won't bring what a like new one will bring, beauty is expensive,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I doubt the 066 MAG is less capable than a MS660! :popcorn::popcorn:

Very correct, I own them both. The sqaure back has a bit more power than the newer 660's thanks to it runs dirty as hell, guzzles fuel like crazy and has a open muffler to boot, power out the wazooo...

All this arguing is nonsensical. . . The market will set the prices.

If I'm selling hot dogs for 5 bucks, and the rest of the three guys in my immediate area are selling the same product for 2 bucks. . . I either have to adjust to the market, or sell less hot dogs.

And the points being made about currency inflation are very good points!! If I grab my DeLorean and a lightning bolt, and travel back to 1868. . . I can make 10 dollars go a very long way.

If I travel back to 1948. . . I'm watching a film with some western shorts, eating some popcorn and drinking a soda pop all for a nickle.

I travel back to 1965, and I'm paying 40 bucks a month for a nice apartment, and 6 bucks a month for utilities. I'm also paying 31 cents a gallon to fuel my Chevy pickup.

Tommy bought an 076 for 500 mackerels. . . Big deal. The seller had supply, Tommy supplied demand, and a transaction occurred. There was no coercion there. . . Two, presumably, happy parties.

I refer back to my earlier post. . . Some will pay more than others, period.

I definately think it depends on the buyer. some guys wouldnt drop 750 on it while others would throw a grand at it. To me its far from "New" and I wouldnt pay new price for it. I do however like the looks of the square back better and would love to own that saw.

Are you nuts, drunk, high, or all of the above?

If I travel back to 1948. . . I'm watching a film with some western shorts, eating some popcorn and drinking a soda pop all for a nickle.

I travel back to 1965, and I'm paying 40 bucks a month for a nice apartment, and 6 bucks a month for utilities. I'm also paying 31 cents a gallon to fuel my Chevy pickup.

Can I go? Haha, no really... 1989 please, Ive been needing a new set of Reebox Pumps. I wore mine out in uh, 1990.

If I'm selling hot dogs for 5 bucks, and the rest of the three guys in my immediate area are selling the same product for 2 bucks. . . I either have to adjust to the market, or sell less hot dogs.

And the points being made about currency inflation are very good points!! If I grab my DeLorean and a lightning bolt, and travel back to 1868. . . I can make 10 dollars go a very long way.

Tommy bought an 076 for 500 mackerels. . . Big deal. The seller had supply, Tommy supplied demand, and a transaction occurred. There was no coercion there. . . Two, presumably, happy parties.

I refer back to my earlier post. . . Some will pay more than others, period.

LOLOL, welp if your hot dogs taste better I'm buying yours, don't givea dayumm what they cost, flavor is what I want,haha

Yup the old guy with the 076 is in his 60's now and he merely can't handle that big saw anymore. I told him several yrs ago your getting kinda old for that big saw aren't you, he said you got that right. I said well don't scratch it all up and I'll give you 500.00 for it when your willing to admit you don't want to handle all that weight anymore. This past Saturday he brought it in but it would not run. I cleaned the carb and got it running and he decided the time was right to let it go. The repair was free of course, my way to push him over the edge, he was happy with his 500.00, no charge for the repair, me , I'm happy adding that big MOFO to the collection. Has a 41 inch bar on it and a brand new .404 chain, I think we both did good, the saw will probably never see another piece of wood, just a collector item I wanted...

Last edited:
Are you nuts, drunk, high, or all of the above?

Can I go? Haha, no really... 1989 please, Ive been needing a new set of Reebox Pumps. I wore mine out in uh, 1990.

Hey, I call them the way I see them. Don't think your comment was necessary, but it also shows who I'm talking to soooo.... That being said, lets do a little test. Throw that bad boy up on ebay, I'll pay the listing fee, and we'll see just how much it fetches. Put a super high reserve on it so it doesn't actually sell, and if no one here on this forum messes with the bidding, we'll see just how much its worth, than we can see who's high, drunk, nuts, or all of the above....

Hey, I call them the way I see them. Don't think your comment was necessary, but it also shows who I'm talking to soooo.... That being said, lets do a little test. Throw that bad boy up on ebay, I'll pay the listing fee, and we'll see just how much it fetches. Put a super high reserve on it so it doesn't actually sell, and if no one here on this forum messes with the bidding, we'll see just how much its worth, than we can see who's high, drunk, nuts, or all of the above....

I just call you like I see you. I wasnt trying to be personal, but you have to wonder... hmm you cant be the problem, everyone else is right?
Look, Im not on AS to show off what I have, or receive praise for anything that I have or ask about. Just to enjoy a hobby, and share it with everyone else that feels the same passion for it that I do.
Dont be too thin skinned about whats said on here either, but at the same time- if you come off to me like a turd, Ill treat you like a turd.

I doubt you want to pay my listing fees on the bay, or put a wager on what I get out of this saw either. Like I said, this is my hobby, and I enjoy it for all that it is. At the end of the day, I dont come home to an 066, I come home to a house wife and dog that means more to me than any of this does. So take me lightly, as I do you- cause' this is just all talk about saws and our opinions of them.

Last edited:

FWIW, i have watched 066 flat top parts saws sell for over $300
also saw an 090 go for 3 grand, i paid $250 for an 041 av.......
ive seen a very well used 066 go for $675 hmm thats about 300 less

you seem to think just because its old its worth nothing...... Ever watch barrett jackson?

game-set-match

you cant argue with facts

Last edited:
FWIW, i have watched 066 flat top parts saws sell for over $300
also saw an 090 go for 3 grand, i paid $250 for an 041 av.......

you seem to think just because its old its worth nothing...... Ever watch barrett jackson?

game-set-match

Yes I'ved watched the B/J auctions, thats exactly the same point I made earlier in this thread. All I'm saying is that it's a stretch to expect the same or more money for a 15yo saw than a new one from anybody else but a collector.

And Carbine, like I and someone else suggested, throw it up on ebay for fun and see what it gets. What the millions of folks there bid, pretty much will tell you what its worth. Also, I didnt say I'd pay ALL your listing fees, just the one for this particular saw :)

Yes I'ved watched the B/J auctions, thats exactly the same point I made earlier in this thread. All I'm saying is that it's a stretch to expect the same or more money for a 15yo saw than a new one from anybody else but a collector.

And Carbine, like I and someone else suggested, throw it up on ebay for fun and see what it gets. What the millions of folks there bid, pretty much will tell you what its worth. Also, I didnt say I'd pay ALL your listing fees, just the one for this particular saw :)

but, each of us are collectors. so when we say what its worth thats from our pov. we're not always talking street value

but, each of us are collectors. so when we say what its worth thats from our pov. we're not always talking street value

Well there we have it. I guess there should be some guidelines stated at the top of these threads LOL. I've collected a few things that I've paid more for than what they are worth to most people, i get that, but if you're asking a generalized question such as "what's this worth?" you're going to get a bunch of varying opinions.

Well there we have it. I guess there should be some guidelines stated at the top of these threads LOL. I've collected a few things that I've paid more for than what they are worth to most people, i get that, but if you're asking a generalized question such as "what's this worth?" you're going to get a bunch of varying opinions.

exactly:cheers:

Whats it worth is mostly self explanatory. Collector or no collector, this saw wont be rapidly different. As Ive told other members on the site... you get good feedback, from guys who know the business inside and out. And you get responses that dont have much merit, or experience behind their opinion. Ya gotta take it all in stride.
Im pretty sure of what this saw is worth, and is why I bought it. Why did I ask? Because I like to hear from the guys here, different ideas, different opinions. Same thing as asking a bunch of guys you dont know from Adam as to why a Kubota engine aint runnin' haha.

Very correct, I own them both. The sqaure back has a bit more power than the newer 660's thanks to it runs dirty as hell, guzzles fuel like crazy and has a open muffler to boot, power out the wazooo...

Coming from another who has ran both quite extensively, the 066 will indeed spank the 660. It's just an all around better saw IMO. Well, not JMO, but everyone elses too I believe.

I say my opinion, but using both, I know this for a fact. :)

Well if a new never gassed 066 isn't worth the same as a new 660 then why do NIB 440 sell for more than 441s when they appear on ebay? I would think that saw would bring $900 or more on ebay.

That is one SWEET saw. It would last about 2 seconds at my house before she was filled up and throwing chips.

Well Wiggs, Im not sending you this saw.. but I will have those decals out in the mail tomorrow morning. I SWEAR! I havent forgot about ya!

Latest posts

Back