Think I got a really good deal today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpence2177

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a husqvarna 440 a couple of weeks ago to do a clearing job at my house (new to this and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a saw.) I have owned stihls weedeater (fs80 20 years old and still runs great!) and blower my whole life but didn't want to swing for one because I originally was just looking to clear some trees and sell the wood to make back money on my saw.

Well the more I get into it the more I love it and want to start selling firewood every year just to make some spare cash ( I can mow lawns just don't have the time to commit every other week to yards in this time of my life)

Well today I stopped in a local pawn shop to look at guns and asked if they had any cheap saws. Most of them were junk and then he said he had a husqvarna 51 that he can't get the chain to move. He had $230 listed because it ran and cranked fine. He said he boss didn't want to put any more money into it so he would let me have it for what they had into it. He said $50 and I asked if I could crank it. He said sure. Went out and it cranked on the 4th pull. Took it home and swapped my spare 18 inch bar and tightened the chain correctly and it works fine! Here is a pic of before I got the bar swapped. I'll post more later because it looks like they deleted the decompression valve for some reason so I may see what y'all think about swapping it back to a regular one.

f768d42e29d541e1c79b974e46afc352.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good find...actually a big 'you suck' kinda deal around here, lol. Husky 51's are excellent saws.
Haha thank you sir. I don't have a compression tester or anything and the muffler was a little loose I should've taken it off and looked for scoring. I figure until I run into a problem use good fuel and good chain oil and run it till a problem arises and then rebuild it.

Haha thank you sir. I don't have a compression tester or anything and the muffler was a little loose I should've taken it off and looked for scoring. I figure until I run into a problem use good fuel and good chain oil and run it till a problem arises and then rebuild it.

There ya go...good e-free fuel, if available, and a good quality synthetic oil for your pre-mix. Listen to the tune of the saw running wide open in wood, make sure the oiler is working properly...and run that bad boy like ya stole it.

And welcome aboard to the club here. Lots of good info sitewide.

There ya go...good e-free fuel, if available, and a good quality synthetic oil for your pre-mix. Listen to the tune of the saw running wide open in wood, make sure the oiler is working properly...and run that bad boy like ya stole it.

And welcome aboard to the club here. Lots of good info sitewide.
Thanks glad to be here!

51 is a great saw. If you treat it right it will run near forever. it's an easy upgrade to a 55 if you do need to rebuild. lots of parts still around if you need em too. Also some came with a deleted decomp from the factory. don't really see a need for it on a 51

51 is a great saw. If you treat it right it will run near forever. it's an easy upgrade to a 55 if you do need to rebuild. lots of parts still around if you need em too. Also some came with a deleted decomp from the factory. don't really see a need for it on a 51
Ok thanks I wasn't sure. Yeah it pulls fine don't really see the need either just wanted it back to stock. Does anyone know where the pins for the gas tank handle/top cover meet? This one apparently broke and they put a nail in it and bent it

So what bar and chain was on there and what was the issue with them? Maybe they were adjusted just way too tight? I thought you were gonna tell the the clutch brake was engaged.

Ok thanks I wasn't sure. Yeah it pulls fine don't really see the need either just wanted it back to stock. Does anyone know where the pins for the gas tank handle/top cover meet? This one apparently broke and they put a nail in it and bent it

You have a picture of what your talking about.
Maybe someone has an IPL for the 51 to link to

You have a picture of what your talking about.
Maybe someone has an IPL for the 51 to link to
I think I ordered it it is the trigger pin. I'll post the number in a second
29ef0ad5ab22deaf28ec0bab22cc0c5d.jpg

I ordered this part on eBay for like $7 probably wasn't worth it. But the last thing I want is a sharp nail poking my hand when I'm handling a saw at Wot.

7c99bd749c457b80ed78aef8ee6d2774.jpg

Here are some better pics I need to clean the bar up I accidentally got it into the mud one good time. Needs a new chain and filter and looks to be ready to start cutting!
770f258729face16fff6ee349d5ead47.jpg

88d4a9bb693add31ff99d38c1b5c4a0c.jpg

974d250871cdbcb4041f27ce948ad891.jpg

I think I ordered it it is the trigger pin. I'll post the number in a second
29ef0ad5ab22deaf28ec0bab22cc0c5d.jpg

I ordered this part on eBay for like $7 probably wasn't worth it. But the last thing I want is a sharp nail poking my hand when I'm handling a saw at Wot.

7c99bd749c457b80ed78aef8ee6d2774.jpg

I saw a different part number but don't know the serial of your saw, hopefully the person who put the nail in used a smaller nail and didn't widen the hole to fit the nail or cause wear in the handle to retain the correct pin tightly. But you'll soon find out. You did order the correct part I just don't know if that pin differs from others, but probably not.

Latest posts

Back