Think I'm planted to deep, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After some help on here with a pesticide issue about another tree, some comments about planting to deep have me concerned for my two maples and two oaks infront of my house. All four were planted last fall (almost a year ago). These were potted trees (1" caliber ,maybe...about 6 feet tall) I pulled a rookie move and planted the top of the pots soil level with the ground...I know realize I should have gone looking for root flares....

I just tried to find the first structural root and it's anywhere from 3-5 inches down (not even sure I found one at 5 inches down). Should I dig them up and reposition now? All four looks healthy, one maple really grew a lot this year and had a ton of really fine adventurous roots.

Is it safe to dig up and lift these? Should I do it now (beginning of sept) or wait till later fall? I'm in eastern PA, could still have some hot days.
DSCN3118_zpsacda56e0.jpg

DSCN3116_zps3455bffb.jpg
DSCN3121_zpsdbb4da8d.jpg
DSCN3122_zps2dd6e850.jpg
DSCN3119_zps2801a3cf.jpg

The tape measure pics are not the best due to the angle of the pic. Looks like one is very deep, one is just right and the other I can't tell. I would dig up the deep one and replant. The others cover the roots back up and make sure the mulch is 3"to 4" away from the trunk. Soil looks dry

Latest posts

Back