Think you know how to start a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pointed this video out as being a bizarre way to start a saw. Didn't say it was especially dangerous. The chain brake was on so what the hell is she going to hurt badly with a chain that isn't moving? Anyone who has done a lot of firewood cutting has used his foot to hold a piece still, how else you going to do it? Love the confidence she works with, just wouldn't want her to sharpen my saw.

. . . if everyone had always followed to the letter all the safety "mumbo jumbo that's now touted as "must haves" and "must do's".... there'd still be a lot of wood standing in the forest.....and beginning to rot.

ANSI approved eye-wear
ANSI approved chaps
ANSI approved hard hat
ANSI approved face shield
ANSI approved ear muffs
ANSI approved steel toe boots
ANSI approved gloves

Now I'm safe to Start the saw:

Must set on firm level ground .... darn I can't find any.
Must set chain brake .... nope
Must grasp pull starter firmly ... okay

OK; you got dressed and pulled a rope. If that keeps you from cutting wood in the forest, there is something else going on.

Always gonna be Holier than Thou's whether it's religion, chainsaws, or insert __________
Exactly what your post sounds like.

Philbert

I pointed this video out as being a bizarre way to start a saw. Didn't say it was especially dangerous. . . . Love the confidence she works with, just wouldn't want her to sharpen my saw.
Lots of ways to start a saw, to cut, to sharpen, etc. She did not seem to be in control for any of them. If you watch someone who is good (at anything) they make it look smooth and easy (even when it is not).

If that was a guy making the video I don't think that a lot of the comments would be as positive. I know a lot of women who use a saw smoothly and safely.

Philbert

I don't see much difference between her style and drop starting from a safety standpoint.

Or is that the issue, any kind of starting not on the ground?

Her way the saw can twist in her hand and the chain will hit her body. It's only her grip strength on the wrap handle, along with the balance of the saw and how hard it is to pull the cord that keeps it from twisting. If it gets harder to pull the cord (as ms250s are known to do) the balance of those forces will change. Her way is also a lot of effort.

When you drop start if your grip is weak or you mess up the timing, the chain just goes in the dirt. It's still not all that safe but it's safer than what she's doing.

I either start the saw on the ground (with larger saws or the first cold start) or brace the rear handle on the back of my thigh. I used to drop start but the brace method is safer and less effort.

I either start the saw on the ground (with larger saws or the first cold start) or brace the rear handle on the back of my thigh. I used to drop start but the brace method is safer and less effort.

Now were talking the proper way to start a saw. Every once in awhile I'll drop start a stubborn saw to get it going holding the throttle open because it is flooded.

I just start my saws with the saw beside me, not sticking my saw down in the mud. Also hard to start on under water when I'm clearing the creek of downed trees. I do start my bow saw on the ground, no mud of course.

Steve

I don't see the problem?
There was no hairy arse crack to be seen?
One of the more safer videos for ones eyes to see on this site! Unless you like hairy arse crack that is?
This thread just looks to be a few triggered sensitive guys threatened by someone that can clearly hand sharpen a chainsaw chain better than they can? go figure? lol

Lots of ways to start a saw, to cut, to sharpen, etc. She did not seem to be in control for any of them. If you watch someone who is good (at anything) they make it look smooth and easy (even when it is not).

If that was a guy making the video I don't think that a lot of the comments would be as positive. I know a lot of women who use a saw smoothly and safely.

Philbert
I totally agree Philbert the best way of putting an end to all this out of control use of a file and chainsaw would be for you to post videos of yourself in total control of said wrongs.....yes?
Lol never going to happen is it that's ok we will take your word for it..

Latest posts

Back