Think you know how to start a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her husband should buy her safety chaps, cut resistant boots, head, eye and ear protection. Show her how to ground start that saw. Then inform her how lucky he is to have her. Hard working self motivated woman.
He might have been the one that showed her how to start it and said she didn't need all that safety gear cause it would be too heavy to climb into a brush pile.

Steve

I can't say I wear all the safety gear either, I wear my steel toe boots, ear muffs and of course my eye glasses, not safety type, but regular type, last but not least, my saw gloves.

Steve

No disagreement there. Not challenging her experience either.

I used a chainsaw for 30 years before I learned how to use it safely.

Philbert

Even after you learned to run it safely, if you took a video of yourself running a saw and post it on the internet, there will still be a dozen guys queuing up to tell you that your doing it wrong.

There will never be a shortage of critics.

Aside from the "throw start" I have done everything that I see her do in the video at one time or another and in some situation or other when running a saw.

It's all a learning process. Next year her technique will change and be different again.

Even after you learned to run it safely, if you took a video of yourself running a saw and post it on the internet, there will still be a dozen guys queuing up to tell you that your doing it wrong.

Every time I think, 'I just have to make one cut, I don't really need my chaps. . . ' I imagine that photograph or video that will emerge, and the endless grief that would follow.

It's all a learning process. Next year her technique will change and be different again.
Doubt that. Read the comments on YouTube. Not her first chainsaw.

Philbert

My hat's off to her, even if she does start her saw in an unusual way, and could probably benefit from a few safety tips.

Nothing wrong with being safe, but if everyone had always followed to the letter all the safety "mumbo jumbo that's now touted as "must haves" and "must do's".... there'd still be a lot of wood standing in the forest.....and beginning to rot.

ANSI approved eye-wear
ANSI approved chaps
ANSI approved hard hat
ANSI approved face shield
ANSI approved ear muffs
ANSI approved steel toe boots
ANSI approved gloves

Now I'm safe to Start the saw:

Must set on firm level ground .... darn I can't find any.
Must set chain brake .... nope
Must grasp pull starter firmly ... okay
Oops .... better put up some caution tape first and barricade the 'starting area' to protect any innocent passersby.
Okay back at it...
Must do this
Must do that
Oops.....forgot my ANSI approved rain-wear ..... looks like it might begin raining before I get this saw started.
Better get some ANSI approved sun screen too .... running this chainsaw in the sunshine will be hazardous .... if it quits raining :drinkingcoffee:

All the while .... that chick is done with her wood cutting and heading to the porch for a cold beer, with all her limbs in tact.
Just sayin' .....

Always gonna be Holier than Thou's whether it's religion, chainsaws, or insert __________

There will never be a shortage of critics.

There could be a possibility of having to change the way she does things more so if she does not have the full set of appendages she was born with

Brooke was on the survival show - Alone - twice and is quite the skilled woods gal. The show is on The History Channel each spring. The participants are dropped off individually in remote settings without contact with anyone else and have to build a shelter, find food and survive the isolation as long as they can. Whoever can outlast the rest of the participants , aka. last person standing wins $50,000 .
Her background copied from History channel
Spending her winters in Reed City, Michigan and her summers in Fox, Alaska, Brooke Whipple is a light-hearted, adventurer and explorer. She has spent a lifetime chasing wilderness endeavors and is passionate about sharing her enthusiasm for the outdoors. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Outdoor/Adventure Recreation Management and has taught thousands of youth and adults the joy of outdoor exploration.

Description copied from History Channel

Ten returning participants attempt redemption in Mongolia on Alone Season 5, a frigid and remote region at the edge of Siberia. There, they will be put to the ultimate test of will and human endurance—surviving as long as they can, completely isolated and alone, with nothing but the contents of a small backpack. Each individual must create their own shelters, catch food from the land, overcome the harsh foreign terrain and bitter cold, and contend with a host of deadly predators. They will truly be on their own. No camera crew. No gimmicks. Last one standing wins.
Here are the ten items Brooke selected to bring on her survival journey to Mongolia:

1. Axe
2. Saw
3. Sleeping bag
4. Fishing line and hooks
5. Ferro rod
6. Multitool
7. Pot
8. Bow and arrows
9. Food ration
10. Trapping wire

If it's on the telly, it must be true. Especially the History channel.
I'm not saying it's not true. Just not to be trusted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brooke was on the survival show - Alone - twice and is quite the skilled woods gal. The show is on The History Channel each spring. The participants are dropped off individually in remote settings without contact with anyone else and have to build a shelter, find food and survive the isolation as lone as they can. Whoever can outlast the rest of the participants , aka. last person standing wins $50,000 .
Her background copied from History channel
Spending her winters in Reed City, Michigan and her summers in Fox, Alaska, Brooke Whipple is a light-hearted, adventurer and explorer. She has spent a lifetime chasing wilderness endeavors and is passionate about sharing her enthusiasm for the outdoors. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Outdoor/Adventure Recreation Management and has taught thousands of youth and adults the joy of outdoor exploration.

Description copied from History Channel

Ten returning participants attempt redemption in Mongolia on Alone Season 5, a frigid and remote region at the edge of Siberia. There, they will be put to the ultimate test of will and human endurance—surviving as long as they can, completely isolated and alone, with nothing but the contents of a small backpack. Each individual must create their own shelters, catch food from the land, overcome the harsh foreign terrain and bitter cold, and contend with a host of deadly predators. They will truly be on their own. No camera crew. No gimmicks. Last one standing wins.
Here are the ten items Brooke selected to bring on her survival journey to Mongolia:

1. Axe
2. Saw
3. Sleeping bag
4. Fishing line and hooks
5. Ferro rod
6. Multitool
7. Pot
8. Bow and arrows
9. Food ration
10. Trapping wire
#7, pot? I’m hoping that’s a cooking pot.:rolleyes:

Back