Thinking about having my 261c souped up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The last saw I had worked on was a 441 that Dave Neiger worked over.

My goto is my 261C and I think Id like to have it worked on. Its got 1 firewood season under it to date and I use it more than the 441, so Id like to squeeze some more oomph out of the 261 while preserving longevity and durability. Not looking for a race saw.

Who in the game? Ive been out of it since 2009 and don't have a clue whos building dependable saws.

I did search but did not see an answer to my query.

Builders, feel free to comment as well.

Thanks.

Casey, there are lots of importuners out there. Lol
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
As far as life expectancy, I'd say 10 - 15 years of use and/or 1000 cords if the saw isn't abused and receives general maintainance, however, if it's a Stihl, knock about 5 years off that estimate.
John

Casey, there are lots of importuners out there. Lol
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
As far as life expectancy, I'd say 10 - 15 years of use and/or 1000 cords if the saw isn't abused and receives general maintainance, however, if it's a Stihl, knock about 5 years off that estimate.
John
1000 cords and the saw would outlast my ability to pick it up. I might do 10 per year and that's doing enough to stay ahead. I did almost 20 last year but I had to hit the ground running and put up this year's wood.

sent from a field

ICYMI, there is a dog in the background of the vid. I have very few vids of cookie cutting, but in most of them, I see Buddy flashing in and out of camera carrying his Frisbee.

Ported 261 is a nice rig. I have 16" Picco on mine just for grins.

I'll be scheduling new work in Dec. Most of January is available. Turnaround time will be short.
Thanks for chiming in.

Recognizing that you may not be able to answer these questions in the open forum due to terms of service...

What do you charge for a mild woods port keeping reliability on the forefront?

Do you offer any sort of warranty on your work? I got the extended warranty on the saw when I bought it so I need to factor that into the value of the saw being modified.

Thanks.

sent from a field

Thanks for chiming in.

Recognizing that you may not be able to answer these questions in the open forum due to terms of service...

What do you charge for a mild woods port keeping reliability on the forefront?

Do you offer any sort of warranty on your work? I got the extended warranty on the saw when I bought it so I need to factor that into the value of the saw being modified.

Thanks.

sent from a field

Send me a PM, and we'll talk about cost.

I don't know what anyone else does on warranty, but I stand behind my work 110%. If you ever have any issue with a saw that I have done I will do my level best to make it right. I've even repaired saws with issues that had nothing to do with my modifications just because I never want to hear anyone say that sending a saw off to have it ported is a bad idea. Ask around.......I doubt you'll find anyone that can say I do not stand behind my work, and go over and above what is expected.

Latest posts

Back