Thinking its a cord. (Need the math)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Got the trailer unloaded this morning and took some measurements of the stacked pile. Not real good at math but I thinking I may be closer to a cord then 3/4 of a cord with the loaded pickup included. The stacked pile measures 9' bottom, 6.5' one side, 3' other side, 4' of the top is 6.5' and it slopes down 5' to the 3' measurement. Most of the pieces are right at 24" give or take so can someone put a pencil to this and tell me exactly what the trailer was hauling. Also took a better shot of the loaded pickup as this will all be piled in the ugly pile yet this afternoon. Did you notice something in the back ground of the bottom picture that has an interest on what is getting stacked out in the field?

you can not accurately measure a cord of wood when the ends are not stacked all the same way! crisscrossing the ends expand the amount of wood by look's with more empty space an less wood! go figure?

I hear you but looking at the top picture I would say that there is not a whole bunch more room between the end crossed splits and the regular stacked splits. Taking in to account the dead air space between all of the splits would anyone want to venture a guess. Is the total load counting the pickup still at 3/4 of a cord or am I closer to a full cord?

Are you just talking about the single row?

9' bottom, 6.5' one side, 3' other side, 4' of the top is 6.5' and it slopes down 5' to the 3' measurement

Doesn't make any sense looking at the pictures.

Length x width x height will give you volume. If your worried about the sloping at the end of your row, take your length measurement at the middle (height) of the row.

Pretty hard to do the math for me too, that stacking makes it tricky.

Oh well as someone stated above it is a lot of wood and I think there will be 2 more loads just like the first before I get these trees cleaned up. I will let my Brother know that pretty much everyone on this board agreed that it was not a cord and he was right. Thanks for all the comments.

I did the math. You are close to 0.76 cord the way you have it stacked. As chucker said, the math is overestimating it because of the pretty end stack that occupies the space of 0.20 cord but contains less wood than a straight stack would.

Didn't you already start a thread about this?

My rough math works to a bit over 2/3 of a cord not counting whatever you have in the truck, so roughly a cord all told.

I read both threads. They are similar but in no way redundant. One had the wood in a trailer and this one has it stacked with measurements. Then again, would it really matter if they were the same? It's not like this board is polluted with a gazillion threads this time of year. I wouldn't worry about it. I enjoyed both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't know there was a thread limit on this board. We have so MANY new threads every day I didn't mean to clutter up the board. Again sorry if I offended you with the second thread.

It was just a question. The info seemed familiar to me, almost "deja vu", but I wasn't sure.

Second load split and stacked this morning. Pickup was loaded with uglys again and unloaded in a separate place. Man those $hit spreaders can haul a ton of wood.

Second load split and stacked this morning. Pickup was loaded with uglys again and unloaded in a separate place. Man those $hit spreaders can haul a ton of wood.
Well, now you might have just over a cord. It takes two pickup truckloads to haul a cord away, unless the truck is stacked up like mine is as shown in my avatar. BTW, most of those split logs seem a little large to me.

Latest posts

Back