thinking of getting a dump trailer???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One word of advice... get the highest gvwr trailer you can get in the size that you want. Mine has 14k axles and its on a 6x12 trailer. That leaves me around 10k of payload.

One word of advice... get the highest gvwr trailer you can get in the size that you want. Mine has 14k axles and its on a 6x12 trailer. That leaves me around 10k of payload.

That's a good point, and to expand on it, when a trailer empty is a high weight due to heavy construction, it can reduce the load it can carry, and more importantly, it will reduce the the load the towing vehicle can handle.

Then there is the issue of registration when going into higher weights.

total weight cannot exceed #26,000 or be plated in combination to exceed that weight. It then becomes CDL territory.
The best thing to do is check your states DOT regulations, and the State Police regulations just to make sure, you don't want to learn on the side of the road.

If your main use is going to be firewood get bigger the 6x10. I would get at least a 14ft. I have 2 14ft ump trailers and 1 12ft dump trailer. Sometimes i wish i had a 16ft for firewood. I hate to stack wood. On the 1ft I can haul 8-ranks (2 2/3 true cords) I stack the back row and then throw the rest in. This is with 5ft sides. 6x10 is a nice trailer but go bigger if you can.

Scott

We love ours, you can really load them down, and they are so easy to dump. We use it for hauling sand, gravel, wood, and even a skid steer.

NH_480.jpg

Dumpbed_woodpile_480.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so i've narrowed it down to the low profile, since i'll be loading mostly with my back.lol

Now you guys gave me another decision; the 6x10 or 6x12???? I thought the 6x10 would be plenty and easier to manuver in tighter places, but i see most say go bigger. my crew cab is pretty long by itself...but what's another 2 feet right??? decisions, decisions......
thanks for all the help....

Ok, so i've narrowed it down to the low profile, since i'll be loading mostly with my back.lol

Now you guys gave me another decision; the 6x10 or 6x12???? I thought the 6x10 would be plenty and easier to manuver in tighter places, but i see most say go bigger. my crew cab is pretty long by itself...but what's another 2 feet right??? decisions, decisions......

I was going to get a 6x10 but at the last minute I found a 6.6(80")x12ft. I am so glad I did. A 80x12 fills up with wood fast so I'm sure that a 6x10 would fill up even faster. Also the GVW is highter and there should be ramps so you can haul a skid steer or a small car if you needed. A nice option to have. :clap:

The longer the trailer is, the easier it is to back.
I've found (in shop buildings, and trailers) that if you get more than you think you need, you'll find out that you needed more than you thought.

Andy

I'll be looking at a dump trailer also in the coming months, I was told that its better to get a gooseneck setup as the weight you are pulling is not at the end of the truck but over the back axle.
The person who told me this has had both setups and he like the gooseneck with the scissor lift, 6 ton swing open doors.

6x12 by 8 feet tall is about 3 cords of wood thrown loose. if the cord is 3,000 pounds, then you are still underweight.

There is NO friggin way you can get 8 foot sideboards on your trailer.

My point is to get a a big gvw like the man suggested, but also get a big friggin trailer also.

I don't think you'll need the gooseneck.

I'll be looking at a dump trailer also in the coming months, I was told that its better to get a gooseneck setup as the weight you are pulling is not at the end of the truck but over the back axle.
The person who told me this has had both setups and he like the gooseneck with the scissor lift, 6 ton swing open doors.

I thought about a gooseneck, but unless you're going with a 16'+ trailer and will be carring excessive loads, I dont think it's necessary. It adds significantly to the cost and there's also the loss of utility in the truck bed. I've had over 12,000 lbs of stone in my 7x14 on multiple occasions and never felt like I needed the gooseneck, the truck pulled it just fine. I've also had the trailer and bed loaded with wood and brush, which couldn't be done with the gooseneck.

Although I do agree, the gooseneck will pull a little nicer.

Look for a 7x12 if you can fnd it. Or get a 7x14. a 7x14 with 4 ft sides holds a tad over 2 cord thrown loose. A 6x12 with 4ft sides holds a little over 1 1/3 cord thrown in.

Scott

No matter what you do get, it will be a learning experience, and if you are unhappy or outgrow the trailer, you'll know what to do next time.
There will be plenty of takers on a used dump trailer too.

In my opinion you are correct (I dispise having to pull a bumper hitch). If the ball is placed right it will distribute weight to the steering axle also. A gooseneck is just easier on the truck, period. You can turn a gooseneck around where you wouldn't even think about trying it with a bumper hitch.
If you get a long enough trailer, all you need to carry in the bed of the truck is your saws, gas, and tools.

Andy

Go with the 6x12. My truck is a crew cab long box. Biggest pickup out there. Its tight, but i've never had a problem where i couldn't back into a place. Just today it was very tight, but i made it. You just need to practice and know how to drive/back up a trailer.

Latest posts

Back