Thinning trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a small area about 20'x20' with 10 trees ranging from 4-8" and 2 large 15+" diameter trees. Whats the best way to go about thinning this area without damaging the trees i want to keep? I would like to take down one of the large trees as its right next to a smaller one to open it up and allow the other smaller trees to fill in. This larger tree is right next to another smaller tree (about 24"). The other large tree has a dead branch on it.
If it helps, ill take some pics tomorrow.

I have a small area about 20'x20' with 10 trees ranging from 4-8" and 2 large 15+" diameter trees. Whats the best way to go about thinning this area without damaging the trees i want to keep? I would like to take down one of the large trees as its right next to a smaller one to open it up and allow the other smaller trees to fill in. This larger tree is right next to another smaller tree (about 24"). The other large tree has a dead branch on it.
If it helps, ill take some pics tomorrow.

I'm no expert but it sounds like pretty close quarters for more than a couple trees but it would depend on the species. Yes, by all means post a photo and find out what types you have. And welcome to the ArboristSite!

Hire a local certified arborist to perform the work. they will be your best option to perform the project safely and without collateral damage. Be prepared to spend about $65 an hour for each man on the site. 2 arborist for 8 hours + $1040.00.
This is a great site full of good info, have fun.

Well i got the camera out too late, pics a little dark. The trees are bunched in the roughly 20' square area. Which is the edge of my cutting line, for expanding my yard.
Ill get a "daylight" pic tomorrow.

Well i got the camera out too late, pics a little dark. The trees are bunched in the roughly 20' square area. Which is the edge of my cutting line, for expanding my yard.
Ill get a "daylight" pic tomorrow.

Ok, i can tell from the dark pic. this is NO problem for an arborist. Look in your Yellow Pages for a Certified Arborist. They can perform the climbing, lowering, removal for you in a safe, professional manner. Look for a Preservationist Co. with Certified Arborist. They would rather prune, and save the trees but they also remove, and done so in a safe manner. This would be an 'easy' day for them. Remember CERTIFIED! You don't want 'bubbas tree service' out there flopping huge wood to the ground and destroying the surrounding trees or your home.
good luck.

Wow, mr. Buzz. U r good. That helped quite a bit. I can run a saw but computer wizardry escapes me.

I would like to take down one of the large trees as its right next to a smaller one to open it up and allow the other smaller trees to fill in. The other large tree has a dead branch on it.
Are you clear on your goals for this project? You want to remove a big tree so other trees can get bigger. Dead branches are easy to prune without removing the whole tree.

What does it mean to "expand' the yard--plant more grass? Trees are lower mainteneance than grass, so why plant more grass?

Yes find out what you have--type and condition of tree--BEFORE you start cutting. You can't put em back if you change your mind.

ktm250rider,
In the photo, the area doesn't look as crowded as it sounded in your original post, but those trees are going to grow. Sounds like your goal (a noble one) is to keep as many healthy trees in that area as possible. To ensure the optimal growing conditions and minimize hazards like dead branches and disease, you need to know what the short and long term needs are for the types of trees you have. Really - I think you should hire an arborist.

I have to agree with woodweasal - I am good!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah that shows the layout much better, thanks.

Unfortunately, hiring anyone is out of the question right now. Money is tight due to being unemployed. Perhaps if i learned chinese i could get an engineering job again.

I believe the small trees are oaks, the one right next to the large tree I believe is a maple. The larger two, I dont know. Ill post some closeups.

The goal is to expand the yard for kids to play football, baseball etc. With a 72" mower, theres really not much "work" to do.

Hmm, cant seem to upload pics. Keep getting a failed message.
Fill size is 2.75 meg. I wish i could figure out how to resize the files. I used to be able to but cant find how on my home 'puter.

Easiest way I know is to get Windows free Power Tools. It installs a program that let's you right click on a pic and chose the resize size.

I see a few smaller trees that could go first. Crooked, roots up out of the ground. Why don't you start by looking it over and taking out the trees that obviously have to go, and then see where that leads you?

BRILLIANT!

STill a little dark. Perhaps Ill take some more when the sun gets over the pines.

Oh yeah, i had to resize them online. Gatesyboy doesnt support ME anymore.

more photo magic

I worked on a couple of the last ones too. Looks like some decay in the area of the hanging limb. Is this the tree you were considering removing? The ones with the gray smooth bark resemble beech - not sure if you have these in Canterbury or not.

I understand about the $$. Again, I'm no expert but tawilson may have the best suggestion - start with the smaller ones and see how it looks. Leave the biggest till last as these would take the most time to replace if you felt you had to.

Looks like someone has already been cutting in the background of the first picture.

Yup, that clearing is where im clearing for a bigger yard. The trees in question are where im stopping. The one with the decay was the one id like to leave however, I think im gonna leave both large ones and take a couple of the smaller ones and call it quits on this area.

Now that i think of it I have another tree that I think needs to come down. It looks like it similar problem as the branch in my pics. It looks like when they logged my land (many years ago before i bought it) this tree was used as a pivot point and is pretty well worn from the base up to about 3 feet.

There you go. Like a lot of projects, the hardest part is figuring out where to start. Once you get started things sometimes fall in place.:cheers:

Try contacting an arborist and offering a barter for the certified and insured work. How attached r u to that motorcycle?:D

Back