This 066 Grenaded........What The Hell Happened???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always run mine at a minimum of 40:1 with Ultra, and never had an issue. Seeing on average a 180-200 saws a month going thru the shop, you can't believe how many user's half azz the mix, it's unbeliveable how thin the mix is in a majority of the saws. (No reference to the saw in the thread) Most folks just eyeball the amount of fuel they add to their jug, after buying the cheapest gas they can find. We have a big issue with gas from Casey's convienence stores, most test right at 14% ethanol and has a large amount of parafin in it, the parafin builds up on the inlet screen until it creates a lean condition, Germany figured that one out. It amazes me people will spend a ton on a good saw and then pinch pennies when feeding it. Brad hit the nail on the head, Amsoil prolly is good stuff, marketing is just nuts. I keep several test tubes on hand to show customers the quality of fuel they had in their saws, most are totally unaware if what they have done until you visualize it for them.

Has anyone ever tested how much 32:1 vs 50:1, for example, actually affects the tune? I suspect that it would be very little. I've not tested it though.

Brad, in my expierence, it has little effect on the tune, almost none, although I'm just going off tach readings, after mixing 50:1,40:1 and 32:1 and running it, dumping it and a new blend and firing up again, less than 150 rpm from 50 to 32:1, it's amazing what you try on a slow day. We did it with a old 025 that had 155 lbs of compression.

I totally agree with 40-1 or richer, I been doing that for over 20 years. but what can y'all tell us about the synthetic oils? I don't think it matters on brand long as it ain;t some cheap stuff. how is synthetic better than regular?

Can't speak for other brands, but the difference between Stihl Ultra (synthetic) and Stihl orange bottle (dino) is Ultra has 20% more lubricants, 40% more detergent and a corrosion inhibitor to protect the brass in the carby. Nothing but synthetic for mine, no cycle shops for 30-40 miles so Ultra it is.

does it have stabilizers like the stihl orange bottle? what y'all sayin so far makes sense. I have had such good luck with the orange bottle it hard to change, I have two of the early 044s and they good as new after used commercial since new. I realize gas has changed.

Left off Terry but I can't edit so oh well. Last but not least.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Would sure give it a try if I could buy it off the shelf locally, what's a good source for the Belray, Randy? Any site sponsors peddle it?

Has anyone ever tested how much 32:1 vs 50:1, for example, actually affects the tune? I suspect that it would be very little. I've not tested it though.

i am skeered of 50 to 1 now ,this saw still had 225 psi with this piston and still started and cut wood ok ,must have cold siezed at one time is all i can think of
440 piston 300.jpg
440 piston 297.jpg

Back