This could be my next milling project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very nice wood. For those who don't know, do a google image search of things made with this stuff. You'll be instantly jealous of BobL (that is, if you weren't already...)

Thanks Guys. Apart from dense hard burl that can be used for exotic tool making I personally don't like burl for use in much else, especially large pieces furniture because so often the outcomes rely totally on the wood and there is little or no effort put into the other design elements. Nevertheless we will mill it and see what we come up with.

Bob, is that a Burnese Mountain Dog. I didn't know they could take the heat down your way. I thought it was one of the Colly's at first, but looks too much like a Burner. Here's a pic of my Baby. She was 4 years old and 97 pounds. Got sick and went down to 65 pounds. I spent enough trying to save her I could have bought a band mill. They think it was lymphoma, but she tested negative to all the test we did. Finally had to put her down, Joe.

Bob, is that a Burnese Mountain Dog. I didn't know they could take the heat down your way. I thought it was one of the Colly's at first, but looks too much like a Burner. Here's a pic of my Baby. She was 4 years old and 97 pounds. Got sick and went down to 65 pounds. I spent enough trying to save her I could have bought a band mill. They think it was lymphoma, but she tested negative to all the test we did. Finally had to put her down, Joe.

We do get burnese mountain dogs here but his is a beautiful boarder collie

So sorry to hear about your dog. The BMDs are beautiful. There are at least 3 that go down to the big park by a river across from the city centre here in Perth. The hotter it gets the earlier they are out for their walk. The dog is the younger of our two Border collies - they are great characters - here they are waiting for me to throw a ball.
IMG_4043.jpg

Thanks Guys. Apart from dense hard burl that can be used for exotic tool making I personally don't like burl for use in much else, especially large pieces furniture because so often the outcomes rely totally on the wood and there is little or no effort put into the other design elements. Nevertheless we will mill it and see what we come up with.

You would be better off cubing that burl up into blocks for exotic tool handles etc ;)

That hole will probably extend to the heart (open completely or be very split and porous).

Mill from tree trunk side for first cut and successive cuts. Cube once quality degrades.

You get this burl from that clearance sale last week?

As for furniture, it is because most hobbyists don't grasp line,form,function and balance. They can just appreciate (hopefully) the wonder of natures creation. Some people can't see this this at all either.

View attachment 498192 That is a platter turned from a piece of Jarrah burl. It is horrible to work with

Your work?

Dry jarrah burl can def be a bastard to work. That looks to be part burl, part tree trunk.

Not a perfect solution, as it restricts finish. Fill Burl with clear resin before working.

You would be better off cubing that burl up into blocks for exotic tool handles etc ;)
see below

That hole will probably extend to the heart (open completely or be very split and porous).
The hole is the heart. It goes in about a ft and then narrows and curves sideways.

Mill from tree trunk side for first cut and successive cuts. Cube once quality degrades.?
My Mill can make a 20"+ deep so I 'm looking at first milling it into 16 - 18" thick slabs so that we can see what it's like inside.
From there it can be blocked or further slabbed depending on demand.

You get this burl from that clearance sale last week?
The tree lopper I work for picked it up while doing some bush clearing. It was in a pile of stuff that was going to be burnt.

As for furniture, it is because most hobbyists don't grasp line,form,function and balance. They can just appreciate (hopefully) the wonder of natures creation. Some people can't see this this at all either.
I agree, but I don't think many pros get burl furniture right either. There's very few pieces of burl furniture that I can say I like.

Latest posts

Back