This Happened this morning in home town !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock37

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Man Cut By Chainsaw While Trimming Tree

Monroeville Tree Cutter Sent To Hospital

POSTED: 1:10 pm EDT October 28, 2011
UPDATED: 4:42 pm EDT October 28, 2011

Email Print

0 comments

MONROEVILLE, Pa. -- A man was rushed to the hospital Friday morning after being cut by a chainsaw.
Authorities said a man was cutting trees on a property in the 4400 block of Marywood Drive in Monroeville when the chainsaw he was using cut his leg.
Monroeville firefighters and EMTs told Channel 4 Action News reporter Bob Mayo that the victim was in danger of bleeding to death.
"He had a traumatic wound to his thigh and was bleeding profusely," said Monroeville No. 5 Fire Company Fire Chief Ron Harvey. The first responders told Mayo they initially used the worker's own ladders to get to him.
Harvey said the victim was approximately 26 feet high in a tree, hanging upside down from his safety harness, facing the sky.

Monroeville Firefighter EMT Nate Abbott climbed the latter to reach the victim. He said the victim was unconscious when he reached him, but was able to get a response from him after a few moments.
The tree trimmer works for JJ Tree Service. His identity and condition were not released.
Another worker at the scene with the victim said the injured man has more than 30 years experience cutting trees.
Rescue crews say the victim may have lost up to two liters of blood.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/29615679/detail.html#ixzz1c6yqtKbx

Last edited:
Do climbers even wear chaps? Can't say I have seen one ever. (I sure as heck wear the myself, down here on the ground).

hope he comes through ok. about 20-25 years ago my dad cut his left thigh to the bone from a kickback (he had 15 years experience at the time). after one hell of a ride on the skidder blade and in the log truck he had around 125 stitches and 30ish staples. he did make a full recovery thank goodness.

I have said it before and I now say it again. Trees are very easy to trim when they are laying on the ground, will not even have to get the ladder out of the shed.

LOL, I'm with you on this one Johnny. I know theres plenty of pro's out there that can do it and do it well, but not this ole boy. No way......no way.....

I bet the OSHA people will be all over this .Hope the company is insured well, those can be expensive medical bills.It really surprises me how cheap chaps are and people still risk it with out them.Hope he recovers.

i can hear it now ban chainsaws before they jump out of the cabnet and cut every one

It is stupidity like this that has made insurance and license requirement become very expensive :dizzy:In my state to get into tree work you need a 2 million dollar bond a Contractors license,roughly 8 thousand dollars for insurance and licenses to be legally allowed to do tree work:dizzy:

Good question

Do climbers even wear chaps? Can't say I have seen one ever. (I sure as heck wear the myself, down here on the ground).
-that's a good question. I have viewed a few vids posted from this site showing some climbing and trimming, etc, and I don't recall seeing anyone wearing chaps in a tree. I could have missed it, but don't recall any.

Maybe if some of the chaps makers would introduce just protective pants instead of chaps, possibly with a removable real thin liner for washing? So you don't have to wear two full articles of clothing? It would seem wearing both would severely restrict mobility up in the tree.

Latest posts

Back