This is if you have a policy on using earplugs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my hearing is very rotten from not reading this thread 30 years ago, I have found that the biggest problem I have hearing is with background noise. I think I can actually hear some one on the ground more clearly when I am wearing the earmuffs on my helmet. The groundie can always bouce a chunk of stove wood off you to get your attention!!!! (at least in our local trees).

I can't stand to run a farm tractor without hearing protection unless I'm just moving it a few feet or so.

Why all the discussion?
It's your policy, he works for you.
No plugs x1= as5 ripping,and warning
No plugs x2= 1 day off without pay (a day in the week, not mon or fri)
It's a safety violation. The fact that he is too stupid to follow a small rule makes me wonder what else he does/doesn't do when you're away?
Just because he doesn't care if he can hear now, doesn't mean he won't sue you for wrecking his hearing later (by not enforcing the rules)

Surely you, as the boss, don't stand around discussing his reasons for not following the rules. Sheez, if thats happening, who's really in charge there anyway?

-Ralph

Begleytree am not sure if you understand the ?.

We know who is in charge out here!

The ? is how do you answer a smart as5.

Maybe you just don't answer and ignore the smart as5 or just say it's the policy and follow it.

people know a days just don't have common sense! :blob5:

I would handle it like this.

"Not wearing hearing protection is not an option."

"What other way do you think we can address the problem of communication between ground and climber?"

If a dialog gets going, you may be able to pull off some good ideas.

okietreedude1 said:
Ive worn earplugs every day at work for over 10 yrs. My ears have gotten so sensitive, I put them in at home mowing the yard.

I bought some muffs just for lawn and snow, since I did not want to wear my helmet ;)

What if somebody is calling you from the ground to stop cutting a you can't hear him.
That's his reason on not wearing them what are your views guys.

My answer to people who do not care is that I don't want to pay for his disability when hearing loss comes on. The policy is to wear required PPE, disregarding of said policy will result disciplinary measure to include suspension, and dismissal.

duartebigmex said:
Begleytree am not sure if you understand the ?.

We know who is in charge out here!

The ? is how do you answer a smart as5.

I'm not sure if you understood the answer.
IF you're the boss, and he knows it, why is he being a smartas5 to you? Was this in proximity to the crew?

ARE you the boss?

or better still..
WHY is he still working for your outfit? or at least, why didn't he get time off to think about it?
See what I'm getting at?

[explanation] Blatent disregard for company policy, and smarting off to the boss about it when its pointed out SHOULD be the fastest way to the unemployment office I could think of. He gets away with this, what and better yet WHO next? You stop the little things right now, before it progresses into something bigger.
With this, you'll be making excuses to the new groundie who thinks it's too hot to wear chaps while busting up brush in the LZ. You'll end up wussing out and blaming it on osha and all the gov't rules. You wrote the policy, you enforce it. end of discussion.
Don't you have better and more productive things to do than debate company policy with an employee? Didn't he sign for and receive a copy upon employment? The fact that he didn't bother to read it doesn't negate the fact that it is still binding and enforced.
[/explanation]

BTW, I'm really not trying to start a fight with you, but, you asked for opinions. All you got from me was my honest opinion, and what I've done, and will do again, in your situation. I've seen this before with foremen under me. It always ends up being blown up to more than it was if its not corrected immedieatly. Be sure to give him another copy of the policy.
-Ralph

We are talking about how two different types of risk managemnt are coming together.

The individual sees the small risk of something happening to him as acceptable. He does not need a helmet or ear protection, but has had dust in the eyes so he willingly wears that cool pair of sun/saftey galsses you provide.

The employer not only does not want the risk to the individual, because most do care about their people, but they allso need to protect themselves from;
  • loss from paid convolecence
  • W/C claims
  • long term disability
  • increased insurance premiums
  • OSHS fines in the case of inspection or fatality inquiry

I'm sure others could add to that list.

Many employees do not understand the larger risk "bucket" the employer needs to concider when enforcing these policy measures the individual finds a hinderance.

There are several easy responces allready mentioned "I'm the boss" is true, but does nothing to promote understanding. "we get a discount on our insurance premium" may go farther.

MasterBlaster said:
So in another way, what you're saying is a deaf person couldn't safely perform as a treeworker?

A co-worker of mine said he worked for one on the island of Jersey. (Channel Islands)

I don't have any hearing loss, people just talk too quiet sometimes......

Exactly Well said John Paul Sanborn!

Promoting a understanding is what I me.

Making people understand not make them more bolder that they all ready are.

:blob5:

My best friend's dad is very hard of hearing. He has a hearing aid, but doesn't wear it because he enjoys the silence.

You know the small, front right hand pocket on jeans and some work pants? ("Change pocket")
I always have at least 2 pairs of foam Aearo classic ear plugs in that pocket.
I use plugs and muffs. A guy I've worked with for years is just about deaf because he is too macho to wear ear pro.
When a mechanic I know was trying to sell me a used saw he recently tuned, he fired it inside his shop, and ran it wide open throttle to show me how well it could run. It was sooo d--mned loud I got an instant headache that lasted for an hour....and he does that all day long. :alien:

I've been wearing earplugs steady for 19 years, working around loud equipment, saws, large deisels, helicopters, yarders etc. My hearing is damaged and thats with protection. these guys that refuse to wear it are morons. Quite simple, dont enable them, if they refuse to follow your policy, right or not cut them loose. :blob2:

I find extending an aluminum ladder is too loud without earplugs. I usually wear them whenever I am working regardless what I am doing. Kind of overkill when I'm not using a saw and the chipper is shutdown but I don't feel right without them.

Matthias, Me too. It is weird when I find myself donning hearing protection to make a half dozen polesaw cuts, but I always work with ear protection and gloves.- IT is hard to even start without them.

i'v played in bands for the las t8 years as well as going t gigis and raves - i once passed out at a free party with my head reatting on the bass bins of a 12k rig - lost my hearing for about 2 days - i'v had tinnitus for the last 3-4 years.
i try and wear muffs and plugs all the time coz it can only get worse.

Back