This is my Silky, this is my gun, this one's for pruning, and this one's for fun.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Did you folks catch a glimpse of a show on cable the past week, were they man was using a super-powered pressure washer style gun?

Seems like 20,000 psi or better is sticking in my memory.

The man swiped the spray across a 4 x 4 and cut it like it was nothing.

Another attachement, cut through like 1/4" steel pipe - big diameter pipe - in a matter of seconds by adding abrasive dust to the water.

I used to kid about ROBOCLIMBER and laser pruning tools, but when I saw this water gun - one man tool / two handed - the idea of high tech pruning tools seemed within our grasp.

The water gun didn't look all that massive.

Honestly, I think the tool could work in certain applications. It looked like it had a motor working about 3 hydraulic cylinders to generate the pressure.

This is my silky there are many like it but this one is mine. Withouth me my silky is useless without my silky I am useless. Fantastic movie.

It was a real tool.

And not on a movie. Maybe Discovery, Modern Marvels on History channel - something of that nature.

This may be getting similar, but I can see the hydraulics and rams at the angle shown on the aqua miser page.

http://www.aquamiser.com/

I found a couple of similar links. Not sure if they sell the gun parts.

Last edited:
Vaden, That sounds great. Any tool to mitigate the dangers of climbing should be, at least, looked at. u guys have any thoughts as to the quality of the cut from a high pressure gun? Think of the soupy mess on the ground. The drop cut would be darn near impossible.

Vaden, That sounds great. Any tool to mitigate the dangers of climbing should be, at least, looked at. u guys have any thoughts as to the quality of the cut from a high pressure gun? Think of the soupy mess on the ground. The drop cut would be darn near impossible.

I don't think the water output is much at all. One unit mentioned like 6 gallons per minute, but that's continous.

The man on TV cut through the 4 x 4 in about 2 seconds max - maybe a pint or quart.

Maybe there is specialized niche for the method. Dropping trees in forests that are dangerous to stand next to?

extremely high water pressure is often used for cutting sheets of metal. the "cutter" a stream of water no bigger than 1 to 2mm, is often 20,000 to over 60,000 psi. PHIL WOOD ( a bicycle component maker) uses a 60,000 psi water jet to precision cut flanges for their sealed bearing hubs. Somewhere there is a video of a 2" thick sheet of steel being cut. The cut is clean, smooth and no cutting oil to waste.

very impressive

I'd just as soon people didn't go trying to mitigate the dangers of climbing... that's the climber's job. I like climbing and I need the work. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep trying to substitute equipment for people... especially if the means replacing a skilled climber with a point and shoot water weapon capable of cutting someone in half. The thing makes a chainsaw sound downright harmless.

On the other hand, a device that can improve the quality of a cut is more interesting... I like the precision aspect quite a bit. You could even design it so the head can grip a branch to hold it in position for a very precise cut.

I wonder how fast the pressure and precision of the stream drop off with distance from the nozzle?

The quote is from full metal jacket but it's but changed from silky to rifle and from pruning to fighting. "this is my rifle this is my gun this ones for fighting this ones for fun." That's what I was referring to.

These are focused jets that use laminar flow (reduced turbulance in stream) technology to get the water moving in a striagt line. The stream jet needs to be near the item for best effect. They clamp them with field use tools, the factory modles can be big table units like plasma cutters.

I don't think you will be seeing handheld units that can go up a tree any time soon, hmmm used from the bucket?:laugh:

dangers of climbing?

It wouldn't be soo much fun if it was easy! If everybody could do it? I like watching people who think they can climb find out how hard it really is. I climb every day Thank God! I would have it no other way. I'm a greedy boss's wet dream!

Last edited:
this is my silky...ODE TO THE IBUKI

Hey does anybody else feel that feeling... when you are wielding your silky. It must be akin to the feeling of THOR with his mighty hammer. The silky saw... oh, I could write poetry about this awesome weapon. ODE to the silky, soul of the arborist. Striking fear into the hearts of all. The kiss of the silky is the kiss of impairment. The kiss of death. The kiss of disfigurement. Much respect I have for this sacred tool. Luke had his light saber, I have my silky. Even the great oak quivers at the unsheathing of the IBUKI.

I'd just as soon people didn't go trying to mitigate the dangers of climbing...

Hey Blinky, would you tell that to the family that just lost their love one from a climbing accident? I personally enjoy the butterflys when i drop a large top and the wildlife gets real quiet as I cling to the spar, but lets face it, its dangerous work! I would borrow heavily to have a lazer pruner I can use from the comfort of my chip truck. haha:sword:

Hey Blinky, would you tell that to the family that just lost their love one from a climbing accident?

Nope, I would never say that to someone who'd lost a loved one to climbing... If I had to say anything at all I would say, "I think S/He died doing what they loved and I respect that special person who's willing to climb and face the danger."

:sword: Touche' Mon Ami!

I think a laser cutter would be cool, because you could improve the quality of your cuts... maybe. But not because it's safer. Cutting limbs from the ground and having them just fall out of control wouldn't be very safe, nor would accidentally lasing somebody on site.

I think climbing is more dangerous than say, designing websites. But it's still safer than driving. It's the kind of occupation that's unforgiving of ignorance and recklessness but rewarding to judgement and skill. I think you will agree that the idea that life should be totally safe and unassociated with risk is just wrong.
It is indeed dangerous work... and to me, that's a good thing.

Back on the subject, I wonder if a high pressure H2O device would be useful for exposing roots without damaging them somehow?

I think a laser cutter would be cool, because you could improve the quality of your cuts... maybe. But not because it's safer. Cutting limbs from the ground and having them just fall out of control wouldn't be very safe, nor would accidentally lasing somebody on site.
WHOA wait a minute. I would, of course, have limb lazer training and we would have to develope an anti-gravitational device for lowering. Come on, dude. wake up and smell the zylem flow!

WHOA wait a minute. I would, of course, have limb lazer training and we would have to develope an anti-gravitational device for lowering.

Dang! I can't believe I overlooked the anti-grav device... but wait... wouldn't an anti-grav device make climbing a lot safer? :blob2:

Come on, dude. wake up and smell the zylem flow!

You say xylem... I say phloem. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back