This is why long bars cut faster than short bars.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been cutting wood for a long time, and I have heard quite a few guys mention (incorrectly) that long bars cut faster than short ones. But it has taken me 30 years to figure out why. It all comes down to the dealer salesman.

This is generally speaking of course, but when Joe Homeowner buys a saw, it will many times come with a safety chain. But then when he goes back to buy a longer bar, the salesman sells him a normal pro chain with it. Keep in mind, the homeowner has NO IDEA there are different types of chain, so when his new setup cuts faster, he figures the longer bar is the reason.

I'll tell you how this happens. When Joe Homeowner walks in, the salesman sizes up the customer and decides right then if the guy looks like a wimp. If so, he gets safety chain. But when he goes back and buys a long bar the sales guy thinks he must be alright and slips him the good stuff.

Now you know why long bars cut faster than short ones.

Tony

I've been cutting wood for a long time, and I have heard quite a few guys mention (incorrectly) that long bars cut faster than short ones. But it has taken me 30 years to figure out why. It all comes down to the dealer salesman.

This is generally speaking of course, but when Joe Homeowner buys a saw, it will many times come with a safety chain. But then when he goes back to buy a longer bar, the salesman sells him a normal pro chain with it. Keep in mind, the homeowner has NO IDEA there are different types of chain, so when his new setup cuts faster, he figures the longer bar is the reason.

I'll tell you how this happens. When Joe Homeowner walks in, the salesman sizes up the customer and decides right then if the guy looks like a wimp. If so, he gets safety chain. But when he goes back and buys a long bar the sales guy thinks he must be alright and slips him the good stuff.

Tony

what all models do you have that is a nice collection

I thought it was a law on smaller saws that when sold, have to be sold with safety chain.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was one dredged up from the past. Good to see you again Tony, stop by more often. Hope business is going well!

By the way, do long barrels shoot faster than short barrels?

Longer barrels generally do in fact shoot faster than shorter ones.

A longer rifle barrel is exactly like a low exhaust, the farther the charge can drive the projectile the faster it will travel.

Tony

Out of all the stories on here, that has to be the best! LMAO!! But so true. I'd be scared to sell some people chains if I were a salesman.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The lumberjacks with the Paul Bunyan complex just love longs bars, beacause they are so tall.
They can't bend over to cut and are constantly using the tip like a cull and have the most sprocket nose failures, which are eroniously explained away by the fact they are so macho.
These long bar types also like to carry their saw over their shoulder in an affective manner andcan be spotted a mile away, even though the casual observer is often inpressed. Lol

As much mirth that is involved....Tony has a point.

90% the idiots beating their NASCAR T-shirt covered chest, and proclaiming Budweiser and Stihl "Farm Boss" as the best on the planet, have one thing in common....
The Jackass that signed on, to color coding safety chain.

Kinda pathetic really.
Your customers are so stupid, you have to color code things, for their own safety, unless they buy a certain model and bar length?
Of course the window lickers, assign prestige to "Yellow chain" at a certain point..it's obvious..just look at the posts here.
Hang out at the local Saw shop a bit. Tony has a real point.
It is what it is.

Stihl owns the window licker market, because they fully understand window lickers, and cater to them.
It ain't like the cash isn't the same. ;)

The lumberjacks with the Paul Bunyan complex just love longs bars, beacause they are so tall.
They can't bend over to cut and are constantly using the tip like a cull and have the most sprocket nose failures, which are eroniously explained away by the fact they are so macho.
These long bar types also like to carry their saw over their shoulder in an affective manner andcan be spotted a mile away, even though the casual observer is often inpressed. Lol

******* it, you need to hang out in the local Saw shop a bit.

Every hickerbilly with a MS310, brags they can run a 25" if they want to...when picking up their 3 loops of 20" Safety chain, hot off the grinder.

The clarity of purpose is inspiring. Right up there with the Brain sturgeons in Ottawa, and the Quebecois...and New york.

When Stihl offers skinny Chaps, to form fit the skinny jeans of their primary customers..they will be seen as brilliant!
It's gonna happen. I ain't laughing, but it's gonna happen.
Green chain, yellow chain, Pink chain...when your customer base has to be dumbed down to color codes..it's Romper room.

Geez Dude.... you realize I can read your postings right?????

:laugh:

Back