This is why you buy a Decent Husky (346xp) and not a POS saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built in the mid-to-late 50's by Mall. No, you don't want to climb with it.

Mall2MG-42.gif

My grampa use to climb with that same saw !!
He had to quit the lumberjack business, not because he severed both legs at the knee, but because of all the teasing from the other men ....
Seems he told nothing but short stories & made small talk ....

I'll be damned... When did they start making decent husky's???

:confused:

Must be a sewing machine moter... Those suckers can really stitch like no one's business, hehehehehehehe...

not here they don't.

Because the 346 will smoke a 260 Pro and just devastate an MS250. It is lighter, more nimble and well balanced and looks cooler!

Ah yes but, a 5100 Dolmar will smoke that 346 like theres no tomorrow!

my buddies 5100 is nice but it's not close to my 346.

Today my Stihl dealer said that the 346XP was way better than the 260pro. True story. Yes, he does technically sell Huskies and sells tons of Stihls and stocks the 260pro. He only stocks the 455/460 box store ones because he has customers that want to buy from him instead of the box stores. He will only get an XP if someone orders it.

Stihl dealer we purchase saws from for work is the same way. He favors the Husqvarna's and sells both. This dealer also sells Echo saws and said that they are very good saws. I know the owner well and could see that he wanted me to consider for my own personal purchases the husky or echo stuff. Overall his husky/stihl sales are about 1 to 1.

A freind of mine about 20 miles north of here, works where I do; is a Stihl fanatic. He has a variety including an older 064, some 041's, some 031's and a couple of 028's. His main saw for crashing around in the woods is his MS310 ..his version of my Husqvarna 365.

Every time he gets into the Stihl sales pitch (which is both loud and often) I just have to remind him if nothing else the Husqvarna just simply looks better. Period.

Your reading the specs wrong. The 346 tops out at 14,700 rpm's. 9,600 rpm's is it's max power rating "in the cut".

That WOT speed listed on the web site is for the original 346XP. The 346XP NE comes with a limited ignition module that is around 500 RPMs below that. Don't worry, the NE is a great saw, despite the incorrect info. I have e mailed Husky US several times and they don't care. Bet if I was selling Husqvarnas on-line they would.:buttkick:

i could care less what specs say.

No way dude, just not possible, look at the specs for both saws that 346 only turns 9600 rpm, whats it turning in the cut?

what matters to me is what happens in real life,not in a catalog.

I talked to my Husky/Stihl dealer about 70cc saws. He said loggers tried the 441 when it first came out and most of them switched to the 460. He says the 441 is more popular with home owners cutting wood for heat and only a small percentage are used professionally. The 575 he says has been a good saw and the largest firewood operation around here has about 50 of them in service. The 372 is a popular saw with the loggers and pros. I thought it was interesting to hear who is buying what.

I ended up fixing my 440, but I might buy a 576 this summer.
Dok

I talked to my Husky/Stihl dealer about 70cc saws. He said loggers tried the 441 when it first came out and most of them switched to the 460. He says the 441 is more popular with home owners cutting wood for heat and only a small percentage are used professionally. The 575 he says has been a good saw and the largest firewood operation around here has about 50 of them in service. The 372 is a popular saw with the loggers and pros. I thought it was interesting to hear who is buying what.

I ended up fixing my 440, but I might buy a 576 this summer.
Dok

Run a 441 for yourself, then make a choice. You might get rid of the 440...

Really?

my buddies 5100 is nice but it's not close to my 346.

So does that 346 have 3/8 chain with an 18" bar? Even the local dealer here said it didn't have the umph to pull 3/8 with 18"... Is it so brutha???

:confused:

I want to ask questions to the Husky guys. before I get into it, no offense to any of the questions.

1. what's up with all the different models of saws? from 142, 346, 246, 5xx, 373, on and on. I need to know what to look for if I was to get one. I guess only ones to praise are 3xx series?

2. what's up with the resell on the saw? Seems lower than Stihl for sure. They wear out worse and not worth the $$ to buy a used one?

3. Do they still have bearing failures? I thought I read about them spinning the bearings before.

4. what would be the good bar and chain combo for Husky? The OEM are Oregon re-badged? what'll be the equivalent to the Stihl ES bar?

5. Any Husky dealer who's willing to work with the price? I have one local dealer and he will not back down on his MSRP price.

Thanks. I want to try a 372XP, may be with BB kit since the BB kit seems to work good on the Husky, replacing one of my 044.....

Back