why husky saws are cheaper than stihl? an honest question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
just the xp, heated grips sound nice but im taking a gamble on this new electric carb stuff. you know how pissed id be if the heated grips took a dump!

Fair enough. Of course, if they quit working, they're still like regular handles, you know like when an escalator is out of order.

MooneyPilot

MooneyPilot

ArboristSite Operative
Every manufacturer puts out a bad model every once in a while. That doesn’t indicate much.

I think the sales and service channel makes up much more of the difference. In my part of the world Husky’s are sold mostly at non servicing dealers like TSC. Stihl in my area OTOH there is a servicing dealer about a mile away that can supply parts, and if I were to need it, service. There is another servicing Stihl dealer about a mile in the other direction. I really don’t think there is a Husky dealer in town other than TSC which, to my knowledge, doesn‘t provide parts and service.

The disaster relief organization I work with has a trailer full of saws and equipment. Except for the top handle and the pole saws, everything is Husky. I bring my own small saws because I’m not one to use a saw meant for a redwood forest to limb or work in the bucket with. When I need a big saw, I get a Husky out of the trailer and so far I’ve been underwhelmed. The ones we have are heavy and not very powerful, not to mention two of them have broken their crankshafts.

To be fair, I’m not familiar with the Husky model line up, so these might be homeowner saws or otherwise less than professional grade.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
I'd imagine your using semi pro grade or the rancher series saws if heavy and gutless is a complaint. I've ran most of the 50+ 300 series, and didnt have issue with many as far as power to weight goes, only a few 5 series.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
As a dealer, i call ********
They certainly offer lower cost models, but a generac of a given model is the same unit no matter where you buy it.
I see your ******** and raise you with information from the company site, which you should know as a dealer.

Like a lot of manufacturers, they sell different product lines at different price / value points. Just like chainsaw manufacturers. You can't just go with a name like 'STIHL' and assume the same quality and performance across all their products. This is stuff copied directly from the Generac website:
"- The Generac GP Series portable generators are an affordable option for a variety of applications, from emergency power to recreational use.
- XT - This compact yet durable generator offers premium quality power, ideal for emergency backup power and jobsites.
- The professional-grade XP Series is the right tool for powering all the other tools on the job site.
- For premium quality power and feature-rich performance—at home or at the job site—Generac’s XG Series will provide years of reliable portable power.
- XC Professional Series Portable Generators are engineered specifically for contractors and construction sites.
- XD SERIES Generac’s diesel portable generator is attracting greater attention due to its high efficiency, cost effective engine."

Lots more information on engines, lubrication, etc., if you 'Google' something like 'Difference between Generac GP vs XP', etc.

Plus the IX, GP, and XQ inverter models (from a third party site):
"First, Generac GP2200i has got slightly more wattage than IQ2000. It produces 2200 starting and 1700 watts vs IQ2000’s 2000 starting and 1600 running watts.
Second, it has a slightly larger fuel tank – 1.2 gallons compared to the IQ2000’s 1.06 gallon tank.
Because of its larger fuel tank and slightly more powerful engine, Generac GP2200i is also a bit louder than Generac IQ2000. This is probably one thing which makes me like IQ2000 a bit more.
Otherwise if I had to choose between these two generators I would probably go with the GP2200i. Especially since it usually sells for around $200 less than IQ2000 and offers a bit more wattage.

It’s hard to provide the accurate reviews of inverter generators without making at least a few references to Honda generators. As for 2000 watt inverter generators, Honda EU2200i is currently by far one of the most models available and the direct successor to the uber-popular Honda EU2000i. Generac GP2200i can’t rival EU2200i for sure in terms of the quality of materials used. Its finishing simply feels cheaper and slightly more sensitive. While the Generac is generally known for making solid generator engines, it’s still below the unbeatable quality offered by Honda.

GP2200i is also significantly louder than EU2200i. But then, hardly any other generator can beat EU2200i on this matter. On the other hand, GP2200i costs a few hundred dollars less than Honda which is one of the primary reasons why customers opt for Generac instead."

Philbert

vtfireman85

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
I see your ******** and raise you with information from the company site, which you should know as a dealer.

Like a lot of manufacturers, they sell different product lines at different price / value points. Just like chainsaw manufacturers. You can't just go with a name like 'STIHL' and assume the same quality and performance across all their products. This is stuff copied directly from the Generac website:
"- The Generac GP Series portable generators are an affordable option for a variety of applications, from emergency power to recreational use.
- XT - This compact yet durable generator offers premium quality power, ideal for emergency backup power and jobsites.
- The professional-grade XP Series is the right tool for powering all the other tools on the job site.
- For premium quality power and feature-rich performance—at home or at the job site—Generac’s XG Series will provide years of reliable portable power.
- XC Professional Series Portable Generators are engineered specifically for contractors and construction sites.
- XD SERIES Generac’s diesel portable generator is attracting greater attention due to its high efficiency, cost effective engine."

Lots more information on engines, lubrication, etc., if you 'Google' something like 'Difference between Generac GP vs XP', etc.

Plus the IX, GP, and XQ inverter models (from a third party site):
"First, Generac GP2200i has got slightly more wattage than IQ2000. It produces 2200 starting and 1700 watts vs IQ2000’s 2000 starting and 1600 running watts.
Second, it has a slightly larger fuel tank – 1.2 gallons compared to the IQ2000’s 1.06 gallon tank.
Because of its larger fuel tank and slightly more powerful engine, Generac GP2200i is also a bit louder than Generac IQ2000. This is probably one thing which makes me like IQ2000 a bit more.
Otherwise if I had to choose between these two generators I would probably go with the GP2200i. Especially since it usually sells for around $200 less than IQ2000 and offers a bit more wattage.

It’s hard to provide the accurate reviews of inverter generators without making at least a few references to Honda generators. As for 2000 watt inverter generators, Honda EU2200i is currently by far one of the most models available and the direct successor to the uber-popular Honda EU2000i. Generac GP2200i can’t rival EU2200i for sure in terms of the quality of materials used. Its finishing simply feels cheaper and slightly more sensitive. While the Generac is generally known for making solid generator engines, it’s still below the unbeatable quality offered by Honda.

GP2200i is also significantly louder than EU2200i. But then, hardly any other generator can beat EU2200i on this matter. On the other hand, GP2200i costs a few hundred dollars less than Honda which is one of the primary reasons why customers opt for Generac instead."

Philbert
I never suggested they didn't offer a budget and premium product, but if you buy a GP from me or a GP from Home Depot the only difference is the sales slip.
I will presume likewise of stihl. If i go buy from my dealer vs my local ace I expect the product is the same, the service and knowledge are what make the difference. My dealer cares that i am happy, he also cares that i can be productive and that i like the product he sells. The difference is in the dealer in so many cases.
when asked why my generator is more expensive than Home Depot’s my answer is simple: Home Depot doesn’t answer the phone in the middle of the night.

caleb90

caleb90

ArboristSite Member
jeeeeepers. n i thought stihl cost more because they only offer power equipment. husky offers power equipment mowers dirt bikes ect.... much bigger market

Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never suggested they didn't offer a budget and premium product, but if you buy a GP from me or a GP from Home Depot the only difference is the sales slip.
I will presume likewise of stihl. If i go buy from my dealer vs my local ace I expect the product is the same, the service and knowledge are what make the difference. My dealer cares that i am happy, he also cares that i can be productive and that i like the product he sells. The difference is in the dealer in so many cases.
when asked why my generator is more expensive than Home Depot’s my answer is simple: Home Depot doesn’t answer the phone in the middle of the night.

I think if you reread Philbert's original post, you'll see her never suggested that an identical model of general would be different if purchased at a dealer vs box store. He was just noting that they offer "homeowner" stuff and "pro grade stuff". The same can be said of Husqvarnas, which can also be bought at the big companies. In both cases though, the local dealer with servicing options has definite advantages in many cases.

vtfireman85

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
I think if you reread Philbert's original post, you'll see her never suggested that an identical model of general would be different if purchased at a dealer vs box store. He was just noting that they offer "homeowner" stuff and "pro grade stuff". The same can be said of Husqvarnas, which can also be bought at the big companies. In both cases though, the local dealer with servicing options has definite advantages in many cases.
In think we are all in agreement but still arguing about it... why?.. i am not sure...

Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
In think we are all in agreement but still arguing about it... why?.. i am not sure...

Well, from my perspective, you misread Philbert's post, and then called ********. Philbert, whom I've had the great pleasure of spending some time with is, is one of the least-full-of-******** dudes I've met. And it's also important to him that people understand his meaning (he is a great instructor after all). And here we are. From what I can see.

Czed

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
so ive always been a stihl fan, never looked at huskys. plus it helped that i had a family member who was a dealer and got everything at cost. well that option is no longer around and im looking at new saws and because i dont have any more hookups so to speak. i am looking at other options aka husky, i cant believe how much cheaper they are compared to stihl. also cant understand as to why? maybe you guys can explain. with out bashing.
It applies to the used market as well
Not bashing
I bought a running 266xp for a 100.00 today
And sold a stihl 028 non super for
I wish I had a pile of 290s
I can sell those in minutes
Hardly any huskys sell well.
But we have multiple stihl dealers locally
And no husky dealer's
It's about brand recognition sometimes.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Yeah. What he said (one of those guys).

The rep I was speaking with was making the case that some people had an opinion of Generac products based on an experience with one of their lower end models, purchased at a discount store.

He wanted me to know that they make some higher quality, commercial stuff too, and that you can’t go by the brand name, without understanding the different models / lines.

Just like a STIHL MS170 vs MS241. Husqvarna uses Poulan and other brand names for different markets/ distribution networks.

I would be happy to have a ‘pro grade’ Generac product.

Philbert

Deleted member 117362
D

Deleted member 117362

It applies to the used market as well
Not bashing
I bought a running 266xp for a 100.00 today
And sold a stihl 028 non super for
I wish I had a pile of 290s
I can sell those in minutes
Hardly any huskys sell well.
But we have multiple stihl dealers locally
And no husky dealer's
It's about brand recognition sometimes.
Here 372s are easy to sell. Couple nice Husqvarna dealers here. Stihl is ace hardware or jd dealer and have major suckage.

BangBang77

BangBang77

The chair is against the wall...
The higher end Generac units are excellent. They acquired Baldor's line of generators a few years ago. Anyone that's ever wired in a three phase motor or VFD knows them well.

I installed (6) 1000kva Generac generators on a high voltage graphitization operation in 2013/2014.

I also installed one of their backup generators on a relatives house. Excellent products.

vtfireman85

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah. What he said (one of those guys).

The rep I was speaking with was making the case that some people had an opinion of Generac products based on an experience with one of their lower end models, purchased at a discount store.

He wanted me to know that they make some higher quality, commercial stuff too, and that you can’t go by the brand name, without understanding the different models / lines.

Just like a STIHL MS170 vs MS241. Husqvarna uses Poulan and other brand names for different markets/ distribution networks.

I would be happy to have a ‘pro grade’ Generac product.

Philbert
I seem to have misunderstood your initial post , and I apologize. It sounded as you were suggesting that, like some things they offered different levels of quality based on where they were sold. And i was calling ******** on the rep.. not the person whom he was feeding false information to