This IS Winter, right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the first year of owning an OWB...waiting for the cold, waiting, waiting waiting. Upper 50's today, damn it!

60* here today and high 40's tonight, high 40's to low 50's the rest of the week, at this rate I might actualy have 1-2 cord left over.
Man are we jinxing ourselves!

Just after Christmas last year we got blasted pretty good, and snow didn't melt for months, which is unusual for my part of New York. Had been like this.......so what will happen next week. Either way I have 3 cords split that need to be stacked.

I've got over a cord of oak stacked up across a field that is so wet I can't drive anything over it. Even the WheelHorse and a cart would sink. I keep waiting for it to freeze, but we're nowhere close.

I know what's gonna happen though - it'll get buried in snow and ice before i can get it!

PA. Woodsman - that thunderstorm was kinda weird last night. I heard it while I was sitting in the house and thought - Seriously? A thunderstorm on the Winter Solstice? Then it rained like heck.

There was a broken off oak branch hung up over the lane that I've been avoiding dealing with since Halloween. It was waiting for me on the ground this morning - had to drag it off with the loader this morning before I could get out to work.

PA. Woodsman - that thunderstorm was kinda weird last night. I heard it while I was sitting in the house and thought - Seriously? A thunderstorm on the Winter Solstice? Then it rained like heck.

Yes it was; I heard some weird noises and thought "what the heck is that?", then heard the rain pounding on the window and realized it was thunder! Very strange....

You just KNOW we're gonna pay for this either next month or February!!

Today, we set the record for the wettest year ever... (since 1878). 54 degrees here today too...

Yep read that in the paper today. I knew this would happen since I bought a new tractor this summer and was looking forward to plowing snow with it. Hell i can't even drive it to the wood pile without tearing everything up its so muddy.

Pa woodsman...I have to thank you for jinxing us cause i have about 4 cords of rounds to split and I dont feel like standing in or swing an axe while surrounded by mud. This might be the first time I run out of shoulder season stuff! Been burning up some 2yr old pine...just enough to take the chill out.

This super mild weather has been great for me. I had 2 fair size roof jobs that I didn't think I was gonna get done this year. Just finished up the last one yesterday.
I have a month long inside project at a factory to start Jan 4th. The weather can do whatever it wants now.

Biggest problem I have is not being able to get to the woods due to the rain and mud. Need to get those saws running again.
I remember when I lived in Ohio thru the 80's. I got stuck 6 times before I finally surrendered to the mud and stopped trying to drive in the fields out there. Here near the coast rain doesn't stop us cuz of the sandy soil. Was like spring here today- beautiful. It's 49 degrees right now, first day of winter. Unreal...... But rain tomorrow. Still we'll take it anyday!

I hear ya.

It's creeping me out. We started Pruning when the ground temp got to 45, and then it warmed up again, so we have stopped.
Mud up to the ankles from all the snow melting, and it just plain sucks.

I hate to say it, but every time we get a warm December like this, it's just the Manitou taking a little longer to wind up and start the annual war, with a couple of bigger than usual hits. It ain't over 'till June..and those forecasters are all clueless.

I just hope we can get the temps down and freeze up all this dadgum mud.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Strewth! Two years ago December was like this one, almost springlike, then February just wasted us. Major snowstorms back to back to back, ice dams on gutters everywhere, lots of water damage, lots of gutters torn right off.

Strewth! Two years ago December was like this one, almost springlike, then February just wasted us. Major snowstorms back to back to back, ice dams on gutters everywhere, lots of water damage, lots of gutters torn right off.

bout 15 yrs ago,,the year i moved a house in the country,,it was nice..shirtsleeves right to jan 10...golfers were having a blast. temps started dropping that night,,and it got to 5 below,,then the snowblast started,,had record amounts that year..wonder if this is going to be a repeat???

9[sup]o[/sup] here this morning, but with a south wind so it should warm up pretty fast today. The forecast changed a bit, we’re lookin’ at 30 MPH winds today and maybe tomorrow… at least 20 MPH through the weekend, switching to the north by Christmas day. 20-30 MPH winds are cold, even with the temps in the 30’s.

I had no idea it was gonna’ drop into single digits overnight (didn’t pay any attention) so I didn’t load the furnace before bed… 66[sup]o[/sup] in the house right now. I threw a few end-cuts of oak on top of the elm splits and left the damper open a bit more than usual, should have the house all warmed up for the family when they get out of bed.

No spitting for me today...rained hard enough to wake me up a couple times last night. Currently 46 and overcast so my splitting area has no hope of drying out any time soon. Seems like the spots to dump chips to keep from getting muddy contiues to grow exponentially.

Indian Summer down here in Floridaaaah

May your wetsuit develope a hole......:smile2:
Said out of jealousy of your warm weather and tasty waves.

I am waiting for the other shoe of mother nature to drop and so are alot of other folks up here. No such thing as free....lol

Back