This Log Has Me Stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bark on that looks just like mine - but mine has maybe a 1-2" white outer, the heart from there on is pure dark red stuff. I know NOTHING about types of trees - I just cut what burns. :)
I'm in Ireland by the way, and this tree is native here, not an import - I know that because any "foreign" trees get cut down and scalped, debarked and limbed by our Environmental Heritage Service as they are not indigineous and they are trying to restore my land to only indigineous trees... suits me fine, just leave them in a pile in the yard and I'll look after them! :D

The bark on that looks just like mine - but mine has maybe a 1-2" white outer, the heart from there on is pure dark red stuff. I know NOTHING about types of trees - I just cut what burns. :)
I'm in Ireland by the way, and this tree is native here, not an import - I know that because any "foreign" trees get cut down and scalped, debarked and limbed by our Environmental Heritage Service as they are not indigineous and they are trying to restore my land to only indigineous trees... suits me fine, just leave them in a pile in the yard and I'll look after them! :D

I've cut plenty of Boxelder that looks just like the stuff in the pic but is blood red in the center. Sometimes that red center is very large portion of the wood too.

If it splits with two strikes from your maul = not elm.
It isn't box elder either. I am splitting some right now and it doesn't look anything like it. Mostly a white color to the wood and even a greenish tint to the branches.

I know it splits easy but what about one of the hickories? They have a pretty dark heartwood.

More Pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a few more pics of other logs.

Maybe some kind of exotic ornamental tree?? Sure is a pretty wood.

The newer pictures do help, and from the different woods I've split, I'd start hedging my bets towards chinese elm, and yes, it can split that cleanly, and it has a beautiful look to it when its first opened up.

American elm is white all the way through, and is cross grained, making it very hairy after splitting, and no fun to split.

Red Elm is sought after for flooring, beautiful wood, very durable as an interior wood but difficult to find it in straight enough stands suitable for lumber.

I have cut for firewood, and sawed for lumber, many black cherry logs that have sat for several years. They have no bark, the sapwood is white and punky, and the inside is solid, clean and just about that color. I'd maintain it's cherry. I'd be willing to bet that's about three or four years old, maybe more, since it was laid down. Cherry will do that. It will split nice and clean like that, too.

Man, you guys that post pictures, I wish I had a scratch-n-sniff monitor. I can tell the species by a whiff of the freshly cut wood most of the time. Only one I've ever found that doesn't have much, if any, smell is beech.

Well IMO and with all the input from you guys I think I will call it Red Elm. I've split a lot of wood I knew was cherry and none of it looked like that. We don't have much elm on the property and this is the first log like this I've run into.

I have cut for firewood, and sawed for lumber, many black cherry logs that have sat for several years. They have no bark, the sapwood is white and punky, and the inside is solid, clean and just about that color. I'd maintain it's cherry. I'd be willing to bet that's about three or four years old, maybe more, since it was laid down. Cherry will do that. It will split nice and clean like that, too.

Man, you guys that post pictures, I wish I had a scratch-n-sniff monitor. I can tell the species by a whiff of the freshly cut wood most of the time. Only one I've ever found that doesn't have much, if any, smell is beech.

Any Cherry around here gets eaten by the ants soon after dying, so you best be quick about getting at it.I like the scratch-n-sniff idea for cherry;for a Tree of Paradise, not so much.

How about persimmon tree. I think I remember cutting one long ago and it had good color to it.

How about Red Elm, Siberian Elm, or Chinese Elm? Or just stained American Elm?
This site has a wack of pics of different elms that sort of look like your firewood. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm.htm

I say no to Siberian or Chinese Elm. Both of these are very stringy when split. I just spent Wednesday cutting up some Siberian. Honey Locust it just might be. Very nice color.

Latest posts

Back