This site is unusable during the evening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here.

It crawls and just stops at times so ya can't get on or off a page.

Click over to google and BAM!! No problems.

Click back to AS then things run OK for a bit, and it starts crawling again.

I'm on wireless in the boonies, so it's kinda frustrating to have to fight two aspects at once.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Same here.

It crawls and just stops at times so ya can't get on or off a page.

Click over to google and BAM!! No problems.

Click back to AS then things run OK for a bit, and it starts crawling again.

I'm on wireless in the boonies, so it's kinda frustrating to have to fight two aspects at once.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well, its not your connection. I have a very fast connection. And it crawls.

Well, its not your connection. I have a very fast connection. And it crawls.

I've never experienced a problem with the site. I've been on at all hours of the day and night too. However, I'll start monitoring it more. Looking for the problem perhaps. :)

Jeff

I don't consider it a big problem, personally. We have very fast wireless Internet and need it for our businesses. What that means is I get impatient with slowdowns. So when a site runs slow because of traffic vs bandwidth, all I have to do is be a bit more patient.

Not a bad reality check now and then, is it? :)

I don't consider it a big problem, personally. We have very fast wireless Internet and need it for our businesses. What that means is I get impatient with slowdowns. So when a site runs slow because of traffic vs bandwidth, all I have to do is be a bit more patient.

you talk too much.

NO, I don't have any patience for this sort of thing.

I practically invented forums (seriously) on the Internet. So I've got a lot of years of experience and dealt with a lot of forum issues.

This forum is already gzip compressed so the pages that are being loaded are pretty lightweight. The gzip compression saves a lot on bandwidth, too. But it does require that your computer have some horsepower because your computer will uncompress the page before displaying it.

There is room for improvement by adding better rules for caching images on the site.

The forum loads almost instantaneously for me. I have a 12 meg connection.

For the most part, performance is good. On occasion, it will hang when trying to load. If you hit the browser stop button and reload, the page will come up almost instantaneously again. This leads me to believe its not a bandwidth issue but rather a problem with the web server not being able to handle the number of concurrent requests.

For those of you having problems, some improvement can be had by installing a Firefox plug-in called "adblock". It works with chrome, too. If you are running IE, the best thing you can do is dump it and install a different browser. Chrome is fastest, followed by Firefox and then IE. IE just plain sucks.

I practically invented forums (seriously) on the Internet. So I've got a lot of years of experience and dealt with a lot of forum issues.

This forum is already gzip compressed so the pages that are being loaded are pretty lightweight. The gzip compression saves a lot on bandwidth, too. But it does require that your computer have some horsepower because your computer will uncompress the page before displaying it.

There is room for improvement by adding better rules for caching images on the site.

The forum loads almost instantaneously for me. I have a 12 meg connection.

For the most part, performance is good. On occasion, it will hang when trying to load. If you hit the browser stop button and reload, the page will come up almost instantaneously again. This leads me to believe its not a bandwidth issue but rather a problem with the web server not being able to handle the number of concurrent requests.

For those of you having problems, some improvement can be had by installing a Firefox plug-in called "adblock". It works with chrome, too. If you are running IE, the best thing you can do is dump it and install a different browser. Chrome is fastest, followed by Firefox and then IE. IE just plain sucks.

Thank you for the useful information...........Rep sent:cheers:Thanks Steve

i agree, a certain period in the evening there, even with high speed cable, it takes forever to load anything, i just give up and come back later, must get a lot of traffic or just a slow site?

[snip]

I run FF and 'No Script' which helps a lot.

I'm no IT tech head but haven't run IE for years and can't stand it if I'm forced back to use it for anything.

I'm checking out during the evening. Can't even get text only threads to load in a reasonable timeframe.

6000 ads up top don't make enough money for more bandwidth?

Not a problem here, certainly not as you say. Maybe just noticeably slower at times. So then it's something between your mobo and the "internets".

You can find link speed tests at dslreports-dot-com and elsewhere. Some ISPs throughput tanks in the evening, especially with cable that's functionally a shared bus, and high-traffic neighbors.

It works pretty good with my backwoods boonies wireless internet.:cheers:

Yep i went to verizon wireless internet for the computer have it already on the droid phone but went with it also on the computer that way i have only one bill to pay

besides saves a hassle if i decide to relocate to another area where the need of small engine shops is in high demand

it sometimes is slow on here but not all the time

Back