This thing is the cat's meow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Welded up a coal hoe this evening. 36" piece of 5/16 rod and a 4" piece of 2"x0.125" plate. Now I can even out and dig in the coals without burning all the hair off my arm. Just need to rig a knob on the end of the rod for better grip. :clap::clap: --Ian
attachment.php

Nice! Get yourself a patent on that thing and by next year you could be sipping drinks w umbrellas in them on a private island!

Pull your hand back 90 degrees to your arm, then tap a 1/2x20 thread into your forearm, thread your hoe handle to match than just screw it in. You can be forever known as Haywire Hoehand.

Great Idea

Thats a Great Idea , I think I,ve burned the sleve off every shirt I,ve owned. Along with a few eyebrows. If you mass produce those I,ll take one. :greenchainsaw:

Good job Ian...er ah Hoehand. I am going to build one too, but 36" is seems too long. I'm thinking about 28-30"s and a rake on the flip side. That way I can claw the hot coals off the top, scoop up the clinkers and ash hiding underneath. And the scoop/shovel needs an extension too. I use welding gloves now to keep from frying my skin.

RD

Good job Ian...er ah Hoehand. I am going to build one too, but 36" is seems too long. I'm thinking about 28-30"s and a rake on the flip side. That way I can claw the hot coals off the top, scoop up the clinkers and ash hiding underneath. And the scoop/shovel needs an extension too. I use welding gloves now to keep from frying my skin.

RD

Well, I bent about 2" of the rod to 90deg to weld it to the plate and I had planned to bend the other end into a hoop for a grip, so I will lose a few inches there too. I almost always tend my stove from the side load door to avoid the ash falling out the front and the box is 24" from opening to fire brick. End product length being anything less than 30 and you will still scald your knuckles with a hot coal bed. If I was tending from the front door, 18-20" would be plenty because it has a fairly shallow box in that dimension.

Oh, and it's 3" plate, not 2, my bad.

Ian

Pull your hand back 90 degrees to your arm, then tap a 1/2x20 thread into your forearm, thread your hoe handle to match than just screw it in. You can be forever known as Haywire Hoehand.

Hey, will one of you guys in Ohio reach over and smack him one for that? :dizzy:

:D

Nice work, Hay!

I built one years ago . they are awesome for raking the coals from the back of the stove to the front before adding fresh wood . my handle is only 36 inches long though . I always wear my welding gloves and have not had a problem .
funny how the most simple tool can be the best !

MD

Haywood, that sure looks handy....

My FIL designed a few of these to help rake the coals, clean out the grates, and slide in and dump large rounds.... We have ash doors and trays, but I could not imagine working my OWB without one...

attachment.php

attachment.php

That does not look safe, you should mail it to me and I'll use it and assume the risk.

I made something very similar. We had an old garden hoe that had a broken handle. I removed the old handle and welded the hoe shank to a piece of
3/4" rebar that was about 48" long. I heated the shank up and bent the hoe blade to a right angle to the rebar. Added some gorilla duct tape to the end for a "handle". The thing works like a charm and keeps from getting burned while raking coals.

Welded up a coal hoe this evening. 36" piece of 5/16 rod and a 4" piece of 2"x0.125" plate. Now I can even out and dig in the coals without burning all the hair off my arm. Just need to rig a knob on the end of the rod for better grip. :clap::clap: --Ian
attachment.php

Put a golf grip on the end of it for $5.00. That will give you some grip! I prefer Winn grips....

I made one for my longwood. I HAVE to have this as it is 5' long and 2' Dia burn tube. I made mine from a piece of 3/4" tubing. Then cut a piece of 1/8" steel with a radius and flat on each end. Welded it and walla. Works awesome.

Latest posts

Back