Thoughts on 13 to 15 ton splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on buying a 13 or 15 ton splitter for doing 4-5 cords a year vs renting a 34 ton one for 100+ and doing all the splitting in two days. I am in good shape but that hurts. I have been doing some by hand and like it but I dont always have the time. Is the larger splitters worth the extra money (twice) for what I will be doing?

I bought a Speeco 15 ton and it does what I expect it to do. Yes it struggles on knotted gnarly pieces but then so does my skidsteer mounted one. I bought it mainly to split big splits down to small enough to sell. It will easily handle 4-5 cord per year for many years. I got mine used in near new condition for $300. Its also light enough to move by hand.

A couple other things to add... 19" is the max length it will split. I think 16" rounds would be about maximum unless you are splitting straight grained wood

I have been cutting everything 20" but have found that just because the stove will take 22" doesn't mean it will when trying to fill it. I am going to start doing it all 18" anyway.

A 15-ton splitter should be more than enough for 99½% of average homeowner needs... the "tonnage" rating is overrated.
The only thing I'd add is if 19 inches is max length, I'd cut at least 2 inches shorter (i.e. 17 inches)... when splitting, nothing irritates me more than having one that won't fit‼

Agree. 15 tonner will handle almost all you do as a homeowner. My Sears 27 ton is a little overkill for me, but I do sell to neighbors.

If you do the math most 20-22 ton rated splitters have the pressure relief set at 2.500psi, will only produce around 15.7 tons. (4" cylinders)

I built mine (avatar) & use a 4-way most of the time. Again 15.7 ton.

If you do the math most 20-22 ton rated splitters have the pressure relief set at 2.500psi, will only produce around 15.7 tons. (4" cylinders)

I built mine (avatar) & use a 4-way most of the time. Again 15.7 ton.

And that's how they were advertised back in the '80's....... of course I also have a shop vac rated @ 6.5 peak hp....yeah right

i built my splitter last year, same specs... 4" x24" cylinder, but my pressure is set at 3000. I think i get around 17 tons. I have put some big rounds under it and only 1or 2 that it wouldn't split on the first try. If it didn't bust, i would just wiggle that round to loosen it off the wedge, and hit it in. different spot. that usually does the trick. Anything bigger would just be a waste of fuel for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. For your personal firewood needs, a 13 - 15 will serve well. The cylinder may not move as fast as on the bigger units but there's no rush, right? Quality work takes time. :)

We've been splitting with a 16 tonner hydro; this is our third year with it. It's a smallish thing, can grunt it around the yard by hand but I tow it with the ol' lawn buggy. We work up 3 cord per year. There's not much it won't bust.

But yeah, 19" is about the max log length for it. I cut to 16", fits easily in the stove.

A 22 ton speeco / huskee is only 999$
I'd pay a couple hundred more for it and you get a beefier stronger design and less likely to fail if you push it hard which you eventually will in time

Latest posts

Back