thoughts on 460 husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklt040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I havent heard much about this saw on here. I know its not a pro saw. although it does have a reasonable price tag for a 60cc saw. the reason I am asking is ... my father called me yesterday morning, he owns a small logging biz, and both of his saws went down. The coil went out on his 036 and the pull start was acting up on the 181 husky(which was mine for a short time, gave a 100 bucks for it.) He wanted to borrow a saw from me and I told him thats fine but maybe you should consider buy a new saw. I told him he should buy a husky, there are 2 dealers within 20 miles of where he lives, #5 miles to a stihl dealer, except for John Deere and didn't want to deal with them. I suggested the 346xp. and the story goes on.(I dont like Typing). I callid him after he got out of the saw shop, and the dealer suggested the 460 he stated that other loggers in the area used the for 1-2 years and got a new one, and most just keep the old one for a back-up of parts.

Okay what do ya'll think of it........

If it's used for work........

Why get a saw that's only gonna last a year or two?

Money would be better spent getting the two he has fixed.Just loan him your 034 till his get outa' the shop.

Logging + 460= sore back & frustration
I'd rather log with my 350. Suggest to your dad to get a pro modle saw. Doesn't matter what brand ( best dealer support ).

Well first all I am new to site, but do alot of reading on here. With that said you are prob gonna get flammed for bring up this saw. I have one and like it. With that being said, I am not a logger, a pro, or even use it that often. But when I do use it, it cuts good and I love it. I also have a husky 350 that is great as well. The 460 is heavy but it fits the bill for me. Hope this helps.

I would say if he wants to go with a husky, dish out a little more and get the 359. Tougher saw, more power than the 460 and lighter. Husqvarna has the bugs worked out of them now. It would be well worth the extra money IMO.

we have the husky 460 and 359 in our lineup. the 460 for not being a pro saw has been a great saw. we did a muffler mod and it runs quite well. i think we gained around 10-15 percert better power just by opening up the muffler. the 359 is a great saw stock. a little lighter than the 460, and i think i little smoother. The muffler modded 460 will cut right with the 359. but i had my 359 ported and now you can barely keep wood to the dang thing. it is my favorite saw to run. until i get a 346 of course.

Why get a saw that's only gonna last a year or two?

Money would be better spent getting the two he has fixed.Just loan him your 034 till his get outa' the shop.

I offered my 034. It was a need it now situation for him . He picked up an older 288 from somebody to get parts for the 181.He was gonna swap the starter cover, The one on the 181 is rigged. The coil for the 036 is $100 and I told him maybe I could find one for a little cheaper. I try working on his saws for him when I can. I fixed the oiler on the 036 Sunday. Oiler line melted and spring in side crimped it closed. He will get them both fixed and I think the husky is going back to the woods.

They are in hard wood right now and they had to have a saw.

Logging + 460= sore back & frustration
I'd rather log with my 350. Suggest to your dad to get a pro modle saw. Doesn't matter what brand ( best dealer support ).

seems to me his workers are kinda distructive. The other day one of them took 3 screws out of the stater cover on the 181 left one in that was a socket head cap screw ( allen screw). He layed the saw down, Lost the three screws. Another worker picks the saw up pulls it and snatches the cover off. Bustign it where the on screw was.

Latest posts

Back