Thoughts on the 261/346 comparison...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
Burned some fuel last week "prepping" a big oak blowdown. Got a chance today (I get 2 hours during naptime) to start bucking the trunk for milling.

Finally...a chance to run the 42" bar on the 076.

Got the chain out of the box and, after a few minutes of looking like a monkey trying to hump a football, got it unwound, and got the bar on the saw. I know...we just had a thread decrying the use of metaphors involving simians and sex, but I just can't think of a better analogy.

Fired up the 076 to let it idle. Sounded like someone had parked a Harley in the back yard.

A lot of fuss has been made of balance lately. I can say, without fear of reprisal, that aesthetically, anything less than a 42" bar makes the powerhead of an 076 look abnormally large. I have a 28" bar for it, and the setup looks like Jay Leno's head on Ally McBeal's body. The long bar makes it look balanced.

Turns out, it is as balanced as it looks. That long bar balances the powerhead perfectly behind my shoulder. It was an easy trip through the woods.

I was feeling cocky when I got to the tree, so I gave it a drop start. It was pretty close to being in tune, and pretty damn snappy on the throttle all things considered.

Then I buried that bar in the tree. Wow. With just the tip of the bar peeking through the other side, that thing TORE through that trunk. I know I had a big smile, and I think I even spotted a little.

Power to weight ratio? It certainly is heavy, but no amount of leaning could slow that thing down, so I'd conservatively estimate the power at infinite.

Just amazing. I know they use 42" bars for pruning in the PNW, but it's the first time I've run one that large.

I got the 076 from Computeruser here on AS, and it runs like a top! I was looking for a milling saw, and he made an offer that I couldn't refuse (club soda does not get horse blood out of satin sheets). It'll be milling that oak soon, but after today, I'm thinking of moving west to be closer to some old growth forest!

Like I said...balance.

attachment.php

Great looking bar. I will be trying to justify buying a 32 for one of my saws this year. LOL

Back