Thread for nefsw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Reaction score
A new member here wishes to ask a question about his Jonsered saw.

80cc saw

The compression seems too high, it will yank the cord out of your hand and
hurt your hand/or shoulder.

Anyone know why, or the cure??

Common guys, lets help the new member out!

Reminds me of the first time I tried to start a modern high compression 50cc. Couldn't hold the saw on the ground, it wanted to come up with the rope. Then I put shoes on and stood in the back handle (boots were too big to fit) and hurt my wrist.

Pull slowly on the cord to find top dead center on the piston. Then let the cord retract, pull it out slowly until you feel the starter pawls engage the flywheel, and YANK.

I don't want to seem like I am poking fun... but...

Back in high school we had a name for this problem...

We called it pussitis, LOL.:givebeer:

But, on a more serious note, does the saw have a compression release?

TFB

Don't know if the new member is reading this or not..

I had a customer bring in his 028 once with the same thing.

After some looking about, I determined he had accidently filled his fuel
tank with bar oil, realized what he had done, rinsed and refilled with gas mix.

After going through the carb, and rinsing out the crankcase, he was good to
go. Smoked like hell for a bit, but was fine.

A new member here wishes to ask a question about his Jonsered saw.

80cc saw

The compression seems too high, it will yank the cord out of your hand and
hurt your hand/or shoulder.

Anyone know why, or the cure??

Common guys, lets help the new member out!

That would be the case with all older JRed saws that are 80cc. No cure for it. The compression is high on all of them, the 80, 801, and the 820/830. I am assuming these are the saws he is talking about. If it is a 2186, it has a decomp and then it would have a problem. Normal on the older saws.

That would be the case with all older JRed saws that are 80cc. No cure for it. The compression is high on all of them, the 80, 801, and the 820/830. I am assuming these are the saws he is talking about. If it is a 2186, it has a decomp and then it would have a problem. Normal on the older saws.

He could try an elasto start handle it. $20 though! Or throw on a snowmobile type.

My 038mM will what I call kick back and break the pull rope. It only does it from a cold start. I keep about 10' of rope with me when doing a job. Its like trying to wake my girlfriend up. I don't always remember to pull slowly, engage the dogs roll it over, let the rope retract then yank.

Its like trying to wake my girlfriend up. I don't always remember to pull slowly, engage the dogs roll it over, let the rope retract then yank.

You have an interesting relationship.............

As far as the saw, and the poster, I don't know. He posed the question
on another thread, and I thought he needed his own thread.
As far as Jonsereds, not common around here. Hopefully he will join in
his thread.

I have a 2171 and went through 2 tanks of fuel today, had to relearn how to start a jred/huskey after using stihl for the last few years but I found no issues or need of a decomp (nice powerhouse and it has a nice exhaust sound ) .
Send me that big saw and I'll give you an honest evaluation :) really honest I'll send it back :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:.

I just ran my 2186 for the first time today and I didn't see the need for a decomp valve. My first saw was an 820 (got it at 16 yrs old) and I don't recall it having a decomp valve either (or I didn't use it). It sounds like there may be something wrong with the saw.

Hopefully nefsw posts up answering fish's and volks-man's questions regarding any possible issues that could be causing his problem.

Back