Three Humped Tie Strap Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffhanger9

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning up a saw I just acquired and the chain pattern caught my attention. It's Stihl chain .325 pitch, .63 gauge, round ground so not sure what model it is but I've never had a chain with three-humped tie straps before.

attachment.php

Can anyone explain this concept/design?
Pros/Cons?
Any special maintenance or sharpening methods? (initial reaction is do I have to file all of these things with the depth gauge?)

Any info appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Safety chain great for dirty wood and people new to saws (less potential for kickback).
The line on the last hump also gets filed down as the chain gets sharpened.

Older style STIHL reduced kickback chain. Newer low-kickback chains have a single hump drive link instead. Both are designed to reduce the 'bite', and kickback potential, if the chain hits something as it rounds the upper quadrant of the bar nose.

A lot of guys here on A.S. don't like it, because it does not clear chips as well, and does not bore cut as well, as standard chain. You won't win a race with it. But, if you sharpen the cutters correctly, it is fine for most bucking and general cutting tasks.

Philbert

Send them to me on the 'Christmas Giving' thread and I will clean them up and send them out to work with storm clean up volunteers. .325 pitch, .063 gauge, and I will spin them to the right length.

Philbert
Seriously? I can send you boatloads if you want them. We get them in on trade-in saws all the time. I usually toss 'em and put a new chain on. Heck, I'll even sharpen them if they're going to a good cause.

je

I have some here like that I took them to the bench grinder and ground off the safety hump. They cut just fine that way.

The 029 I just got has that on it and the same will happen to it. Grind the humps off then no longer a safety chain. I am running a ground down one on teh MS261 and it eats wood very well.

I am to cheap to throw them away:tongue2:

hahahaha, you beat me to it. I take all the free or cheap used "home renter' sawchain I can find. A few minutes with a file or grinder, they cut fine. 1$ for a chain, ten minutes later I have saved 19$ over a new loop. Hmm, that's kinda sorta like paying myself 114 bucks an hour.

I have some here like that I took them to the bench grinder and ground off the safety hump. They cut just fine that way.

The 029 I just got has that on it and the same will happen to it. Grind the humps off then no longer a safety chain. I am running a ground down one on teh MS261 and it eats wood very well.

I am to cheap to throw them away:tongue2:

Sometimes time is more abundant than $$.

hahahaha, you beat me to it. I take all the free or cheap used "home renter' sawchain I can find. A few minutes with a file or grinder, they cut fine. 1$ for a chain, ten minutes later I have saved 19$ over a new loop. Hmm, that's kinda sorta like paying myself 114 bucks an hour.

Where can I apply/submit my resume :msp_w00t:?

For you guys chasing cheap chains, you might try hitting up a local hire shop. Most of them that hire out chainsaws put a fresh chain on the saw each time. They never get sharpened. Sometimes the saw still comes back sharp after use. If not it needs a sharpen, big deal. They throw all the chains in a big box typically. I've lucked out a couple times and bought whole crates of chain for $50. Easily more than a 100' roll.

Shaun

This chain is commonly called Guard Link. It is the next gay installment after Bumper Link ;)

For you guys chasing cheap chains, you might try hitting up a local hire shop. Most of them that hire out chainsaws put a fresh chain on the saw each time. They never get sharpened. Sometimes the saw still comes back sharp after use. If not it needs a sharpen, big deal. They throw all the chains in a big box typically. I've lucked out a couple times and bought whole crates of chain for $50. Easily more than a 100' roll.

Shaun

I agree Shaun. It's also interesting to see just how much the average homeowner can destroy a chain. Rounding off a cutter 50% and taking all of the chrome off really takes some doing. Most of the chains need about 20% ground off but after that they're fine. I've got a swag of ex rental loops here in 3/8" .063" semi and 3/8"LP. Mostly Carlton with the odd Stihl chain.

All carlton for me. They only have it in one size though... 20". I was thinking to join it all into a roll so I can make longer chains but I dont know where to get the joiners from, and it sounds like a hassle to sharpen to get it all the same length. Are you selling those adjustable anvils? I've been thinking about an auto vice sharpener too, honestly I'm not getting consistent results from mine because I'm too lazy to do the anvil up. Plus I think the 4mm cyclone disk is too small... maybe a 5mm?

Shaun

Latest posts

Back