Three used saws to chose from, all the same price. What one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All three are the same price in the local rag. What one does a guy go for and why?

• Husqvarna 41

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Husqvarna 142

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Echo CS370

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keep looking - the Husqvarna 41 and 142 are essentially Poulans. Find a used 455 if your having to pinch pennies. On the Husqvarna's the lowest cost gas powered saws that really makes sense are the 445's and 450's. The 440's and 435's are essentially home owners and for really occasional use maybe make sense, but then you have the gas related storage issues. If your in the lower end size of tasks, AND they aren't frequent; I would suggest a 120i for $250 complete with battery and charger for that price. before any of those gas saws. For a pile of reasons.

As the former owner of a 142 I agree with the above post. It was a decent little saw for what it was but about as unremarkable as a saw can be. I paid $50 for it in great shape and sold it for $50 8 years later

I should say this would be the second saw. I have a Husqvarna 55 that has served me faithfully for 20 years for planned cutting needs.
Looking for an inexpensive "cheepie" to shove in the pickup dry box for branches and dead fall across the trail.
Was even eying a homelite super mini... Dear Old Dad cut a lot of wood with one of those...

I'd sure like to know where you fellas are finding the cheap saws.

Everyone around here think they are all sitting on a pot of gold.
All three of those saws I listed, they are asking $120-$125 and one of them needs work....

Edit:
I don't mind getting my hands a bit greasy. Have the aptitude to pull one apart and reassemble...

You can find better "truck saws" and probably at better prices. I have $83 into this one.
View attachment 690145
I would be patient and keep looking.
You could look for years and not find a saw in that shape, along with the fifty dollar bar on it, for $83.

I don't have anywhere near that kind of patience.
Not to mention the amount of time and gas you'd waste while looking for that needle in a haystack.

All three of those saws I listed, they are asking $120-$125 and one of them needs work....

Edit:
I don't mind getting my hands a bit greasy. Have the aptitude to pull one apart and reassemble...
I wouldn't buy the one that needs work.

83$?Deal of the year!
Of topic,but I bought a walker mower,61"or62" deck, 4 years ago.
New spindles ,new blades,new 20 hp(3 hours run time on it) Kohler for 300$(three hundred).Wouldn't move,wouldn't run,loaded it with a Skidsteer on trailer.
1 hour later I called the guy up and told them the reducer(?) pins where froze up,got then freed up,fuel solenoid shutoff was the problem with the motor.I wanted to make it right with him.Told him I'll bring it back,or pay him what it's worth...
Told me NO,a handshake is my word.
Use it every week for about 3 hours,no problem.
So,deals are out there,maybe once a decade for me.

You could look for years and not find a saw in that shape, along with the fifty dollar bar on it, for $83.

I don't have anywhere near that kind of patience.
Not to mention the amount of time and gas you'd waste while looking for that needle in a haystack.
I did not find it that way sir. It came to me in quite a different state.

You guys must live in another dimension than me. The last time I saw a chainsaw offered on CL or anywhere else for $50-$100 was NEVER.

While y'all are at it, could you pick up the next single family home you see advertised under $200 for me?

Edit:

If you have an idea what your looking for and a price range, you could put up a Wanted add here or on one of the other sites.
Lots people out there with lots of saws.

I would get the Echo. If that's the one that needs work.... if it's engine work, leave it. Engine parts for Echo stuff are a bit pricey.

IMHO

If
the Echo needs engine work
AND
the 2 Husky saws are not much better than a Lowe's Poulan saw
AND
you really want a truck saw now
THEN
Buy a Poulan PP3314 from Lowe's for a touch more than the above 3 saws. You'll have a new saw with a warranty that doesn't require any tinkering to get it running.

Quick search on Craigslist brought up a few starting at 50$in my area.All pawnshops, so,I personally wouldn't feel comfortable buying from one,for several reasons.
Depends how much you need one ,sometimes the best way is to go buy new,warranty,and over the life of a GOOD chainsaw,it's pennies a day!

You guys must live in another dimension than me. The last time I saw a chainsaw offered on CL or anywhere else for $50-$100 was NEVER.

While y'all are at it, could you pick up the next single family home you see advertised under $200 for me?
I don't buy many from CL or the apps. Although the 350 did come from there. It's all about establishing relationships.

The Echo CS-370 is a nice saw, not overly fast but dead solid reliable in long term service.

Even with that said they are set up pretty lean right out of the box, so use caution when buying a used one as it's pretty common to find some aluminum "smeared" over the rings from running too lean.

I typically get all the Echo saws we set-up here for our customers new off Ebay. Every single one gets the limiter caps removed, some get minor muffler mods, then we set test run them and good to go. To date we've NEVER got a single one back in here for any reason, and several have went to folks with tree removal services and use them just about every day........Cliff

Back