Throughing dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome pics. Unfortunately, whenever I'm doing work like that, either nobody is around, or anyone who is doesn't think photos like that are worth taking (?). All I have photos of are the aftermath. But I'll work on it!

I had to go mix a beverage before I launched into this......so...it seems that in 1325 one of my ancestors journeyed down from Scotland to the court of Edward II to expound on the virtues of The Bruce.....part way through his speech a certain de Spencer, enraged by the Hamilton's words, smacked him upside the head......weeell.... that didn't sit very well with the Sir Gilbert Hamilton who immediately challenged de Spencer to a duel......de Spencer declined to fight......so Hamilton kilt him right on the spot. Of course that pizzed the Britts off big time.......Hamilton got out of Dodge in a hurry....with the clothes on his back and his page boy.....with all the kings men close behind. They only had the two horses and didn't dare approach anyone to acquire fresh mounts.......when the Kings men needed new horses they simply appropriated them from who ever had any. After a day or two it became very obvious to Gilbert that they would be taken before they made the border.......they came upon a couple simple peasant wood cutters working the woods alongside the road and by giving them gold, fancy cloths and two horses, acquired their ragged cloths and frame saw......the peasants galloped off and very soon the red coats arrived and began to quiz the imposters about the passing of the Scottish outlaws.......they were busy cutting down a large oak and Gilbert noticed his boy was about to freek completely out and spill the beans.......so in a moment of inspiration he makes the final stroke and yells "THROUGH"....which is what they used to yell in ancient Scotland, rather than the modern "TIMBER".....well the crashing of the oak spooked the horses and the kings men galloped on down the road after the outlaws......Gilbert and the boy made it back to Scotland safe and sound......and with the retelling of the tale the clan coat of arms with the motto "Through" and the picture of the frame saw and oak tree was developed.

So......you see "Throughing" goes way, way back......a long way back.....

Sounds like you are Throughing a bit right now

Nah....not really Unc!! Almost done "Throughing" for the day. Just wanted to demonstrate that Through was in fact a correct term in the wooding industry, of yore. I'll tell ya something else too.....I have had problems with the Spencers.....in fact it was a Spencer who vandalized my camp years ago....I think there's been bad blood between the families for 6-7 hundred years or so.....sore loserz....

Nah....not really Unc!! Almost done "Throughing" for the day. Just wanted to demonstrate that Through was in fact a correct term in the wooding industry, of yore. I'll tell ya something else too.....I have had problems with the Spencers.....in fact it was a Spencer who vandalized my camp years ago....I think there's been bad blood between the families for 6-7 hundred years or so.....sore loserz....

Probably drinks his Scotch with Tab too......

Back