throwing sparks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillerTreeMN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey everyone-

bought a new Husqvarna 372XP this summer- and once in a while id see sparks kinda float out of the exhaust / muffler. more obvious in late evenings / darker hours

monday we took out a HUGE hackberry tree ( 65' tall over fence, deck and 2 sheds ) and with the short days, we were finishing it up in the dark.

at one point there were so many sparks coming out of the front of the saw, it was almost like a sparkler / bottle rocket fuse got lit!

lasted a few seconds....

are my rings burning up? whats the deal ?

I've seen it. Most any engine you observe in the dark will light it up from time to time...

No worries. If your saw's running well...not too lean...let it spit anything it's little heart desires at you...

You're the one with opposing thumbs....

Last edited:
I flew a turbocharged piston twin in cargo ops for a long time... the exhaust stacks glowed bright orange.. you could READ by those things.

While idling, or during warm up, part throttle usage...short run cycles, etc..carbon can build up on the piston, in the exh. port, and in the muffler. When you really put it to work the CHT, and EGT's go way up, up enough to start burning off that carbon buildup...what you are seeing is just burnt carbon.

If your rings were going out so bad it was throwing bits of molten metal out the muffler...you wouldnt be asking us about the sparks, you'd be asking us about how to replace the top end...

I'm guessing Piper Navajo?

You got it, my flying brother! Great old airplanes! After that Mitsubishis, Now... guess what? B200s! (and 100s and 90s).

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's not on topic, but we get alot of alarmed people at work who have various peices of equipment that they never use at night, and find that some things make spark, the first time they do...

Most common- Gokart clutches make sparks, lots of em...it's normal, people bring newish clutches in all the time because "it's sparking".

Saws- they make some sparks...it happens. Solid tips bars throw some sparks too..

Lawnmower mufflers- They tend to glow cherry red but you dont see it at noon...

Mower deck brakes- haha...people really freak on those things, talk about a shower of sparks when the pads wear to metal..haha

Fine saw dust fills up the tubes where the muffler bolt fit in allowing embers to blow out. I have really noticed this on the 385/390. I have ask Husky if they are going to do anything about the fire hazard. No answer yet.

hey everyone-

bought a new Husqvarna 372XP this summer- and once in a while id see sparks kinda float out of the exhaust / muffler. more obvious in late evenings / darker hours

monday we took out a HUGE hackberry tree ( 65' tall over fence, deck and 2 sheds ) and with the short days, we were finishing it up in the dark.

at one point there were so many sparks coming out of the front of the saw, it was almost like a sparkler / bottle rocket fuse got lit!

lasted a few seconds....

are my rings burning up? whats the deal ?

Cut into a 10" dead Osage orange at dusk and you will REALLY get a show!!!!!

Back