Thurston Blew Up the BP-1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I knew I shouldn't have loaned Cousin Thurston the BP-1. He's always getting into these...(ahem)..."situations".... But when him and Fergy came over Friday evenin' and told me they were going frog-giggin' and needed to cut a couple of cottonwoods which were blockin' the old jeep trail down to the old ox-bows where the river used to run where usually there's good bunches of bullfrogs.... I went ahead and let him take it. I told him to be careful and not to over-rev it.... And I told him again, when I noticed that him and Fergy had three cases of Bud thrown in the back of the pickup with their gigs and spears and big lights and stuff..... "Be real careful with that chainsaw, Thursty," I told 'im.....

By the time Fergy came draggin' in here at ten a clock this mornin', I knew as soon as I seen the bandages and tore shirt and stains on 'is levi's that somethin' had happened. And when I looked in the back of the pickup and seen the wreck of the BP-1, it almost broke my heart.....

If any of you guys have got a few spare parts, maybe I can fix it again....

All I need is an engine assembly with crankcase, the fuel tank and handles, oil tank and lines with plunger and seals, clutch assembly and cover with sprocket and the bar and chain, the flywheel, the starter dawgs and springs and cover with recoil springs and rope and handle,.....Oh, and some of the electronics.... magneto and points and condenser and coil and plug wires.... and just a few other small parts.... rear handle, frame, bar side cover and nuts, bearings and seals, a workin' carb, trigger and control wires, choke lever and wire, maybe a few other small parts....

If you've got 'em layin' around and will sell them for less than $50, including shipping to New Mexico, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd let me know....

Thanks!!

Old Mac Guy

p.s. -- I guess I'll need the shrouds and tinwork, too... You can just put 'em in the side of the box....

From what you describe happened, might as well just ask for a parts saw. please for the love of god, dont post pictures of the carnage. lesson learned? next time loan him a more common saw.

Best first post ever!!!

Great story, even if'n it ain't all as it happened!

Welcome to AS, Mac Guy!

LOL, iyiyiyi! Agree ^^^! Sounds like you is lookin' fer a replacement saw for 50$ less?

Frogs are our friends (and taste good I hear), but chasin' them with saws can lead to serious troubles! :cheers:

All the parts you just listed would go for over 500.00 I dont think you will find what your looking for

I have some parts. Points, I think, new front gearcase casting, new bevel gear(s) handle, rubber grip, maybe one carb diaphragm, new top cover, new grinder parts new bar oil cover, half a block, bunches of stuff I don't recognize.

I'd like to see a parts book so i can see what all I have. I have at least two of most things..

I may be wrong but I believe I hear a Troll under the bridge. Those over 35years old may now what I am talking about.

Bill

Bill G said:
I may be wrong but I believe I hear a Troll under the bridge. Those over 35years old may now what I am talking about.

Bill

Kinda odd isn't it? Now that "The BP-1 parts are in"
Andy

LawnMaster and Larry: Don't worry.... I wouldn't afflict ya with pictures of Thursty....

Shoerfast: They ain't real big like in Louisiana.... but in some spots there's plenty of 'em....

SierraAzul: In between Sabinoso and Bueyeros....

RBTree (and Sprig): Thanks....

MacDaddy: Well.... ya never know.... look at what Mike Maas sez....

Heviarti: I'll try to figure out how to send you a PM....

BillG and Sawinredneck: Not sure I understand the "Troll" reference.... it was pure coincidence that my post might be construed to have a connection with Heviarti's.... aside from that we both happened to mention a not-too-common Mac....

RandyMac: Hey, Old Mate!! Good to see you here!!

Mike Maas: Well.... Ya know.... I suffer greatly from this-here compulsive and chronic, innocent-appearing "hobby".... and have ta deal with my own symptoms b'fore I can offer sympathy and help to my fellow-sufferers.... But.... Sure!!, I guess I'm willin' ta take one or two of them burdensome ol' BP-1's offa yer han's.... kinda ease yer burden some.... but I sure don't wanna hafta deal with openin' up any old boxes.... Would you kindly do that before boxin' 'em up.... and scratch up the paint on it a little, so I don't hafta worry about breakin' it in....

Sorry OMG, just was odd coincidence you would post 2hrs after the other post, with parts came on.
That BP-1 must be one hekuva saw to be willing to dump that much jack in it!!!!!! I am not at all familier with them, but, anther couple hundred and you could have a nice shiny new one (Husky, Stihl, Dolmar), just a thought?
Welcome to AS BTW,
Andy

No harm, no foul....

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, the 2-cylinder BP-1's are among the rarest of McCulloch saws. Mac quit making them and withdrew them from their distributors and dealers when they realized that over-revvin' 'em could lead to serious blow-ups. Still, there's a few of 'em around.... mostly curiosities and show-pieces.

It surprised me to read Heviarti's thread about getting in a bunch of NOS BP-1 parts. But, I guess, there may be a few places where some Mac dealer of years gone by didn't return the parts for credit. I've found a couple of decades-old stashes of 1950's Mac parts, but I don't think the BP-1 ever got really used in the woods like the old 3-25's and 4-30's and 47's.... I've only seen two of them, one in person and one in photos, and those were both in almost-mint condition....

I like your "sufi" tag.... reminds me of what the old ranchman said about wanting to see less Religion and more Christianity....

It may help your case to post some pics of the saw in question

Here is one I have

Bill

OK.... More with the stupid questions, just how many cc's are we talking with a 2 lung? Is it bigger, or just more tourqe?
Thank you for the compliment OMG:bowdown: I usually figure by the time you could've told me 'bout it, it could've been done!!
Andy

on the BP1, one cylinder actually powered the saw, the other acted as a supercharger of sorts. it was an impressive design for its day, and still is for a saw. very respectable to me.

Lawn Masters said:
on the BP1, one cylinder actually powered the saw, the other acted as a supercharger of sorts. it was an impressive design for its day, and still is for a saw. very respectable to me.

Do you have one ?

Back