Tillotson Carburetors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW $ 32.00 USA price which is equivelant to your $ 25.00 euro price now that is a expensive carb kit i happen to have some of them kits here not made my oregon either i dont even charge that much for them man i can ship them international first class cheaper than getting them in germany

Yes, saws as well as parts are much more expensive in Europe, that's why I have done some deals lately in the US for parts. All I can tell is that I got great service and there's indeed some benefit on the price, but not overwhelming.

Thanks Calvin,
The C-5 is running now with the longer bar. Been using it mostly on Cottonwood here which is tough wood to cut. Not as bad as some of the hardwoods in the east but tough enough, especially when it is frozen. I think the first shop that had it just wanted to sell me a $900 saw. They are a Stihl dealer. I like the old saws just fine. Maybe cause I can't justify spending a grand on a new one when I have 6 older one that still work fine. This C-5 with the longer bar feels like it weighs 40 lbs. It is fun to run.

Thanks Calvin,
The C-5 is running now with the longer bar. Been using it mostly on Cottonwood here which is tough wood to cut. Not as bad as some of the hardwoods in the east but tough enough, especially when it is frozen. I think the first shop that had it just wanted to sell me a $900 saw. They are a Stihl dealer. I like the old saws just fine. Maybe cause I can't justify spending a grand on a new one when I have 6 older one that still work fine. This C-5 with the longer bar feels like it weighs 40 lbs. It is fun to run.

It`s always a good feeling seeing another AS member posting that they like to keep the old gear up and running and using them for their intended uses, not just hoarding them to look at, Pioneerguy600

Thanks Calvin,

mjbilbo i happen to notice on your signature you still need a clutch for the C-5 ?

Yes, saws as well as parts are much more expensive in Europe, that's why I have done some deals lately in the US for parts. All I can tell is that I got great service and there's indeed some benefit on the price, but not overwhelming.

i notice you are in belgium im trying to track down a girl from over there went to high school my senior year she was a transfer student at the time foreign exchange student her name is issabelle sure do wish i can find her

to see how she is doing i just wish i can find some of the old high school folks i went to school with

lawnmowertech37;949811]mjbilbo i happen to notice on your signature you still need a clutch for the C-5 ?

Hi Calvin;
The clutch in this saw is a 3 shoe I believe. I was told that you can find a 6 shoe upgrade but they are not common. The clutch is still good on this saw as long as I am not really bearing down hard in the cut.
May have to end up replacing the clutch at the end of this winter cutting season. Do you have them?

Mike

well, this is not working. :givebeer:

A man's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer

It worked mang! Nice saw!

attachment.php

Gary

I've got an HL-141 on my Homey C-5. Had a hell of a bad time finding someone that could work on it. Finally got someone to rebuild it. Got it back and it was missing slightly at top end. Leaned it about 1/8th turn and it seems to run smooth and strong. Am hoping I am not running it too lean. Put a 29" bar on it only to find out that the acresinternet info was not correct. The saw has plenty of power to pull the chain loop at that length but the clutch is definately the weak point. Dig in too hard and it will definately slip. The Denver area seems to be a little weak on Tilly experts. The first shop had it for nearly 2 months and then called me to tell me that the saw was a throw away or only good for parts.

Hi mjbilbo; The C5 is a nice old saw , what type of chain are you running on it.? In hardwood here in the Maritimes I could not expect to run a 29 inch bar with full comp chain of any kind,skip chain barely. The clutch even a new one would slip unless you just let the saws weight do the cutting with a nice sharp chain. Now a C9 would handle that 29 in. bar better with a six shoe clutch but that is not what you have.
What do you use your saw for most of the time,fire wood or logging and do you really need a 29 in. bar?
Pioneerguy600

Thank Gary;
Still trying to figure out how to post a photo in the thread instead of the link to another window with the photo.

The HD. BIG is the only word to describe this one. Used on some bigger snowmobiles and Rotax engines, it was also popular to put on a Harley Davidson.
Well there you have it. I hope I didn't make any mistakes but if I did it wasn't on purpose. I just wanted to share this with some on the forum that may have an interest. Mike

Believe me when I tell you that Harley Davidson had a fiasco with the Tillotson carburetors back in the AMF days. Didn't run worth a :censored:
I had a 1967 Harley Davidson Decker and the carb was about the worst thing about it. Would flood and make starting impossible. Didn't dare forget the fuel petcock or you would loose the whole tank down past the rings and wash out the bottom end before disolving the asphalt under the bike.
Can't think of a single soul with anything positive to say about them.

Hi mjbilbo; The C5 is a nice old saw , what type of chain are you running on it.? In hardwood here in the Maritimes I could not expect to run a 29 inch bar with full comp chain of any kind,skip chain barely. The clutch even a new one would slip unless you just let the saws weight do the cutting with a nice sharp chain. Now a C9 would handle that 29 in. bar better with a six shoe clutch but that is not what you have.
What do you use your saw for most of the time,fire wood or logging and do you really need a 29 in. bar?
Pioneerguy600

Baileys calls it a semi chisle or micro chisle 404

I use it for firewood and like the longer bar as I have access to a lot of cottonwood here and it is not uncommon to have 30" logs to contend with. My saws with shorter bars will cut them but they end up looking like a Honeybaked spiral cut ham as I am always seeming to get that cut going sideways at the end somehow. I am always looking for some excuse to find another saw, so maybe a C-9 would be a good possibility with the better clutch. I have a Jonny 111S here with a 24" bar that a friend loaned to me and that one has no clutch issues at all.

Pioneerguy600

Baileys calls it a semi chisle or micro chisle 404

I use it for firewood and like the longer bar as I have access to a lot of cottonwood here and it is not uncommon to have 30" logs to contend with. My saws with shorter bars will cut them but they end up looking like a Honeybaked spiral cut ham as I am always seeming to get that cut going sideways at the end somehow. I am always looking for some excuse to find another saw, so maybe a C-9 would be a good possibility with the better clutch. I have a Jonny 111S here with a 24" bar that a friend loaned to me and that one has no clutch issues at all.

Yea that is pretty agressive chain for a 77cc saw with a 29' bar and full comp semi chisel. You should look in to a skip style chain in that 404 pitch and your saw with a good clutch would work better in hard wood. A 3/8 pitch setup would work much better especially in a skip chain as it would be easier on the clutch and let the saw run a little freer in the cut, don`t lean on it,if the chain is sharp and the guides set 30 thou.lower than cutters it should cut really well without leaning on it. IMHO Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back