Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No program at all at this point. I understand that Husky was ramping up inventory to launch their TSC deal-but where are the pro saws that should have been going to Tilton since Jan 1? It is my thinking that my rep from Pace would rather sell Dixon and Scag mowers to his dealers than Jonsered saws to his new accounts.......

The core of the problem is that Tilton never did a forecast for 1st quarter product, so no production was scheduled. That's what I meant about someone being asleep over in Sweden. Everyone knew that this was going to happen, and no one noticed that there were no saws being built for the US dealer channel.

Also, with the TSC deal in the works for quite some time, it's obvious that Jonsered was going to remain in the US market. Yeah, this really could have been handled better. But, I have Husky and you have Dolmar, so both of us are still in the saw biz. It's really hard on the Jonsered only guys. I don't have much left, but what I have are my 3 best selling models, so I'm OK for a while.

I know nothing about PACE, but some of these reps have their favorite lines, and Scag is going to get most of that guy's attention, especially this time of year. Plus, he probably knows next to nothing about chainsaws anyway, and when he finally shows up you'll be shaking your head wondering why you were so anxious to see him. :dizzy: There are always different contacts at any of these companies that are worth cultivating relationships with. Could be girls in customer service, guys in tech or shipping departments. Maybe an inside sales person. Sometimes they are much more helpful than a rep who has a binder full of lines to sell. Some reps are great, and some I'd rather NOT see because they are useless.

Good points spike. But I find it hard to believe that production was dropped because of lack of an order from Tilton. I was lead to believe that negotiations between Husky and Tilton went well into Dec. So they must of had some idea what they (tilton) was going to need in 2013.

I'll wait and see how this shakes out. I've got five TSC's nearby. Will I benefit from the store's ineptitude or will it just end up a pain in the .... Any one out there have any experience with big boxes getting a line you've been carrying? Like when Husky and Echo went big box. I know things are different in different places. Just want to see what others have experienced.

I'll vote for Pain.TSC store inventory is controlled by the Mother Ship in Brentwood.Local managers have very little control over ordering.So unless it's a high dollar order and wait for it at full retail you are going to get whats on the shelf.The only deals are on clearance items and special orders that someone else has blown off.That's pretty nice if you love opportunity popping up but if you need it now not so good.The more I go to TSC the more I miss Central Tractor.

The core of the problem is that Tilton never did a forecast for 1st quarter product, so no production was scheduled. That's what I meant about someone being asleep over in Sweden. Everyone knew that this was going to happen, and no one noticed that there were no saws being built for the US dealer channel.

Also, with the TSC deal in the works for quite some time, it's obvious that Jonsered was going to remain in the US market. Yeah, this really could have been handled better. But, I have Husky and you have Dolmar, so both of us are still in the saw biz. It's really hard on the Jonsered only guys. I don't have much left, but what I have are my 3 best selling models, so I'm OK for a while.

I know nothing about PACE, but some of these reps have their favorite lines, and Scag is going to get most of that guy's attention, especially this time of year. Plus, he probably knows next to nothing about chainsaws anyway, and when he finally shows up you'll be shaking your head wondering why you were so anxious to see him. :dizzy: There are always different contacts at any of these companies that are worth cultivating relationships with. Could be girls in customer service, guys in tech or shipping departments. Maybe an inside sales person. Sometimes they are much more helpful than a rep who has a binder full of lines to sell. Some reps are great, and some I'd rather NOT see because they are useless.

I know about useless salesmen. Been in the biz a long time. Been spoiled by some really good, knowledgeable salesmen (including my former Tilton rep). Every time I call Pace's Lakeland distribution center to place an order, I feel their frustration. And since they also rep Red Max, they should know about chainsaws in general. One real frustration is that if they have the part in Red Max, they still have to backorder the Jonsered part.

I'll wait and see how this shakes out. I've got five TSC's nearby. Will I benefit from the store's ineptitude or will it just end up a pain in the .... Any one out there have any experience with big boxes getting a line you've been carrying? Like when Husky and Echo went big box. I know things are different in different places. Just want to see what others have experienced.

The only model that I stock on that list of what I suspect TSC will have is the 2255. I might bring in a few of the smaller ones, but it's not all that important to me.

I'm no box store fan; probably as radical a dealer as there is. LOL. But the truth is, this will be good for Jonsered which is a brand that desperately needs some exposure. My experience with box store saws is quite different than the wheeled goods. The tractors are nothing but aggravation, lot's of it due to the pick up and delivery, and I stay away from it. Saws on the other hand are no big deal. Brings a lot of folks into the store that might not have ever come in here. And, unlike the mowers, saw customers will continue to come in and buy accessories. Warranty? Hardly ever see an actual warranty. Mostly just have to explain how the thing works, but as you can guess, most are fuel issues. I also get some sales from someone who simply didn't get himself enough saw the first time. Not saying it's without problems. There will be a guy who melted the case by running the saw with the chainbrake on and not think it's his fault. But overall, this is no big deal for me.

I also need to point out that so far, I've limited myself to dealing with the customers themselves. Dealing directly with the stores could be another matter entirely. I'm thinking of giving it a go with TSC, but only for the Jonsered product and see what happens. If I don't like it, I won't continue to do it. I don't need them, but if it works and isn't too complicated, then why not? But if they are slow to pay, or have some silly 3dr party extended warranty company that I have to deal with, then I'll just continue to deal directly with the customers.

Decided I needed a new saw this week; I have enjoyed the heck out of my Jonny 2149 for a long time, but it was getting tired. Yesterday it got noisy in a hurry, then I couldn't start it again. Need new piston and cyl. I called two dealers about price on a new 2153 (more power, same size). No have, no can get; "buy a Husky; they're better anyway. 450R Sitting right here, all ready to go, take it home today for $400".

What-******-ever.

Ordered an aftermarket piston and cylinder, carb kit & a few other parts.

Thnaks for this thread, especially you Spike. I notice things are more sane and sober around here lately. I kinda got out of the habit after we never saw Gyppo any more.

New saw? Maybe in the fall. Not much cutting until the snow is gone (foot or so on the ground yet and 6-9" forecast for tomorrow...mr crabby pants this late) and I have other, larger saws. Just have to be more careful; too-big saw for usage wears the operator down. Maybe buy one of them new-fangled Dolmars, never know.

Decided I needed a new saw this week; I have enjoyed the heck out of my Jonny 2149 for a long time, but it was getting tired. Yesterday it got noisy in a hurry, then I couldn't start it again. Need new piston and cyl. I called two dealers about price on a new 2153 (more power, same size). No have, no can get; "buy a Husky; they're better anyway. 450R Sitting right here, all ready to go, take it home today for $400".

What-******-ever.

Ordered an aftermarket piston and cylinder, carb kit & a few other parts.

Thnaks for this thread, especially you Spike. I notice things are more sane and sober around here lately. I kinda got out of the habit after we never saw Gyppo any more.

New saw? Maybe in the fall. Not much cutting until the snow is gone (foot or so on the ground yet and 6-9" forecast for tomorrow...mr crabby pants this late) and I have other, larger saws. Just have to be more careful; too-big saw for usage wears the operator down. Maybe buy one of them new-fangled Dolmars, never know.

Well, the NE346xp (ard the 550xp) are better than the 2153/2253, because of the handlebar angle.

They also are a couple of ounces lighter, because of the shorter total length of the handlebar, and less plastic on the starter side - but who really cares? :givebeer::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No have, no can get; "buy a Husky; they're better anyway. 450R Sitting right here, all ready to go, take it home today for $400".
What he really said was "I can't be bothered to order what you want, but I would love to move this saw that is much lower quality than yours from my shelf."

Well, the NE346xp (ard the 550xp) are better than the 2153/2253, because of the handlebar angle.

They also are a couple of ounces lighter, because of the shorter total length of the handlebar, and less plastic on the starter side - but who really cares? :givebeer::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The proper "Square to the World" handlebar angle of the jonsered(s), combined with their obviously superior appearance, are the things that make them unarguably superior to their husky counterparts. :)

But who really cares?

24y0gih.jpg
:chainsawguy:

That "exclusively at TSC" is a little bit of a stretch to me....what about all the dealers? I guess they mean exclusive of the other box stores but

That "exclusively at TSC" is a little bit of a stretch to me....what about all the dealers? I guess they mean exclusive of the other box stores but

They will be "exclusive" in being the only retailer selling them that offers no service. :msp_thumbdn:

My TSC manager said they will have access to the whole line.I asked specifically if they were going to have their inventory set by HQ and he said no.I still doubt I'm gonna buy one from them.A saws a little different than chicken feed.

My TSC manager said they will have access to the whole line.I asked specifically if they were going to have their inventory set by HQ and he said no.I still doubt I'm gonna buy one from them.A saws a little different than chicken feed.

That's the sort of thing that I'll believe when I see it. I certainly don't doubt that your local manager said it, however.

Hard to think that Husky-Jonsered will be cool with selling $1000 saws in a box store.

Then again, if I can get my hands on a 2188 or something for $600 bucks as a refurb because someone returned it with the chain brake on, I might be in favor of such an arrangement!

That's the sort of thing that I'll believe when I see it. I certainly don't doubt that your local manager said it, however.

Hard to think that Husky-Jonsered will be cool with selling $1000 saws in a box store.

Then again, if I can get my hands on a 2188 or something for $600 bucks as a refurb because someone returned it with the chain brake on, I might be in favor of such an arrangement!

Funny...............................the exact same thought crossed my mind when I read his post.:D

Back