TimberJack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOPEMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone ever used one of these(TimberJack). If so, is this a one man operation. It looks like it would be perfect for bucking trees that are laying flat to the ground. I have also thought of just using a Cant hook. I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like the timberjack would work great, being that you weren't in a mud pit. Any helpful info is appreciated.

ShopeMan,

The TimberJack sounds like a great idea if you don’t mind having to carry ANOTHER tool and worry if it got back on the truck. :D

I just find a stick or a piece of bark and stuff it into the kerf. Heavy logs may require two or 3 sticks (just break the stick off and stuff it back in) but it keeps the log from pinching the bar just like a wedge. I use this technique for flushing stumps also. I can flush a 3 foot or larger stump without pushing on it or having some else help. You can keep both hands on the saw while having more control. The bar comes right out of the cut with no problem. :cool:

I thought so too...

I needed a cant hook to move large stuff around and figured hey that timberjack looks like it could be pretty versatile. Used it a couple of times with the "foot" on it and found it "just ok" as a bucking tool with smaller logs, say under 12-14" and useless on bigger stuff. I quickly unbolted the "foot" as it made the cant hook a little more cumbersome to use effectively. Almost two years later I have yet to bolt it back on. cant hook and wedges are faster and more efficient for me. If I had to do it again I'd buy the less expensive cant hook.

I understand Tim's point about ANOTHER tool. I opted for a "mill dog" years ago. That is a 2' cant hook. Naturaly it doesn't provide the leverage of a bigger cant hook or peavey but it is small enough to ride around in the tool box-always available!:)

I have one of those felling bars with the cant hook attached. I really like it, it is great for turning logs, and I also use it as a pry bar to break stumps loose. It is not real effective for felling trees, would be good for very small trees, but you aren't going to really move a decent sized tree with one, still use wedges mostly for that. It is a great pry bar, and the cant hook is very useful.
Greg

I have one but,don't use as much as I thought I would.There are situations where it is really helpful,rolling logs and lifting small to medium sized pieces to keep your chain out of mother earth.

I'm glad you posted, I wish I'd had one today. I use it (or something similar, called a 'logjaw') for moving or holding large pieces I can't budge otherwise....without putting out my back. I need to go throw it in the truck for next time. Thanks. Che

Thanks Guys!
Yeah,
These cant hooks and Timberjacks are very expensive. I have checked about 10 stores and they average $50 to $70.

Greg,
How much did you pay for the felling lever? Thanks Again!

Chris S.

It was about $50, bought it from Sherrill/Vermeer. I really like it for dealing with large stumps it will actually break that 1" of wood hiddden under the stump that just won't let it go.. I also use it a lot to position logs for the dolly, and moving them around in the trailer when I have to. If you ever have to put a 300lb log on a dolly you can stand behind, tip it back with the lever, and get it going without a helper.
Greg

If you work with big wood a lot then a cant hook is very useful for bucking down. No excuse for getting the saw near the dirt them (Why do i still do it???).

I've looked at log jacks, seems like something for a home owner. I do like Timm, but use my plastic felling wedges for that. I keep a pile by me and use one to pound in another, then roll the log with a cant or peavey.

Latest posts

Back