Timbersport axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck at the Show! Have fun and try to learn something with each log. Give a report on how it goes. Please. It snowed here today and I am not looking forward
to resuming my event training and freezing my butt off. I have my wood stove and a kerosene heater but it barely takes off the chill.

All the best, Jamie

Im not sure what year the Keesteel is, All I know is that its an earlier one. Theres a bloke down south victoria somewhere that will grind, linish, polish and fit a new handle for 80-90 bucks AU. Cheap as I reckon. The True Blue has a crack in the back of the head so thats a wall hanger, Im slowly stoneing the chip out of the Aussie Speed Axe, that'll be good when its done. 1 of the Tui's is ready to go, Keesteel has a slight ding as does one other of the Tui's, Stewart also has a chip. Basically Im working on the following plan:
Training: 2 x Tui's
Racing Box= Keesteel, 1 x Tui, Stewart & Aussie Speed.
Slow process though but my coach is an extremly supportive bloke, giving advice whenever I ask, "the best way to learn how to sharpen your axes is to do it yourself, take your time, keep the stone as flat as possible and just work the burr back and forth." is what he said, and its working, chip is almost gone from the Aussie now and it is razor bloody sharp!

Jim O'Dowd sounds familiar, that could be the bloke Im thinkin of. For sure on the catch up aye no worries. Off to the Mansfield show tommorer, as long as the rain stays away the chop should be a good one. Glad that I could revive this awesome thread too. Great to get some good talk going on such a great sport!

Rick, your coach is right. Best way to learn is by doing. Be patient and put your time in. You will get out of it what you put into it. Good luck this weekend.

All the best, Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for the advice, glad it doesnt snow ehre at all. Im not competing at the show, merely a spectator. I will let ya know how it goes!

Best way to start.

I'm teaching my 14 year old daughter this winter. She will not chop in competition until she's 16. She will single and double saw in competition the next two summers, but not chop until she's a bit more mature and ready to compete. It takes time to develop that confidence.

That said, I'm slowly starting to realize why so many Aussies think I'm nuts for training as much as I do. You guys do your training at shows. Seriously. When you think about it, if things go well an axeman can cut 10 to 12 logs at a good country show on a saturday. When my training volume is at it's highest, I'll cut 20 to 25 logs a week spread out over 3 sessions. And even then, I rarely only cut them under race conditions - ie., cut half then stop, then cut other half, etc. When we go to contests, we normally only cut 2 logs (one up one down), and ocassionally get a tree. Big difference in cutting 3 logs versus a dozen under race conditions. No wonder the aussies are so further along in the chopping events than the other folk around the world.

In any event, enjoy the contest. I hope you come away having learned something new that will help you in the sport.

All the best,
Jamie

Jamie, training isnt nuts at all David Foster trains on a regular basis. I do see your point though.
due to other commitments I wasnt able to stay for the entire woodchop on Saturday. The logs were a mixture of Mountain Ash and Woollybutt, both timbers local to the Mansfield area. The wood cut extremly well which provided some excellent conditions in both the underhand and standing block handicap events. I got a couple of good pics Ill load them later. I left the camera at home. Competitors came from a wide area (Mansfield, Benalla, Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta, Wodonga & Eden to name a few). Wish I couldve stayed to let y'all know who one. I did hear someone mention your name Jamie and the fact that you were competing at an event that they obviosly were also. You been down under lately?

Also I wish you and your daughter all the success mate, It cant be easy. My coach's daughter is a similar age and she has been cutting for a while now. Apparently she's fairly good!

Rick,
I know several axemen from that area. During 1993/94, I stayed about five months between Jim Alexander's, at Cobden in Victoria, and Ron Wilson's, in Wadonga. I spent a lot of time with Brett Kettle and Ron's son's Harvey and Barry. Brett and I trained quiet a bit together. Brad Turner is also from that area. I consider Brad a good man and good mate.

The last time I was down under would likely have been 2005 or 2006. And that was only for Sydney Show. My work and family commitments won't let me get away for more than four to five days at a time. But that is the lot in life I have been dealt and will deal with it until times change. My wife went to Sydney during 2008 and 2009 on the US Team. And she will be going to Adelaide during 2012 on the US Team. But I have to stay home with the kids. :D

Can't wait to see the pictures.

All the best,
Jamie

Thanks for posting the pictures!

The wood in the photos looked pretty good. I didn't recognize anyone in the photos. It's been nearly 18 years since I was in the Albury/Wadonga Midland Tablelands area.

All the best,
Jamie

Back