Timbersport axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamie, Im in Northern Victoria mate. My coach lives in the same town as me. The axe in question is quite new and shiney. Its stoneing fairly well, it is similar to several others I have got temper wise. Ill list out whatb Ive got so ya can drool.....heheheh thanks for the warm welcome mate.

3 x Tuatahi
1 x Stewart Racing
1 x Keesteel
1 x True Blue Racer
1 x Aussie Speed Axe

and some 30 odd sharpening stones.... 2 old Plumbs as well as a garden master anda pope. (work axes)

Handle wise if ol mate Sthil boy wernt stateside I could put him onto a guy here in Victoria. He'll put in a new handle, sharpen and hone the edge and polish the axe fro roughly 90/100 bucks australian! and you then know the handles set straight so ya can steer the ol beast properly. Really looking forward to hooking into training.

Racing Axe handles - 31" in length are hard to come by and are not cheap.

Tuatahi sells them for about $50 USD.

There are folks here in the states that sell them for about $20. But I don't feel comfortable posting their email addresses on an open board. PM me and I'll send you their contact information.

All the best,
Jamie

Just for the benefit of those who may not know, getting advice from Jamie (Arden Cogar, Jr.) on Tmbersports is like going on a thread about motor sports and having Tony Stewart or Jimmy Johnson reply personally to your questions.

Just for the benefit of those who may not know, getting advice from Jamie (Arden Cogar, Jr.) on Tmbersports is like going on a thread about motor sports and having Tony Stewart or Jimmy Johnson reply personally to your questions.

You are too kind. Thank you for the nice words. I simply love the sport and will do all I can to make certain that those that are interested have their questions answered. Facebook has turned out to be the best means to do it. But I also pop in here ocassionally as well as ehpsaws and the other Timbersports related sites.

Good luck and God Speed.

All the best,
Arden Cogar jr. aka Jamie

The American version of David Foster then?

LOL. I could only wish. David was a lot more successful in the sport than myself. The American version of David Foster as far as winning is Melvin Lentz. I've been very fortunate to do as well as I have in the sport and I have many years yet to go. Time will see where I end up historically in the sport. My goal is to be like my father and Harold Winkel - a proverbial threat into their 60s. But David and Melvin's records and accomplishments speak for themselves. And I am honored to be thought of in the same breath/sentence

All the best,
Arden Cogar Jr. aka Jamie

That would be a fair comparison, except Jamie would insist that he is better looking than DF.

Only marginally at best. If I were to let my hair grow out,shaved my chin and stop working out while maintaining the same caloric intake I could likely qualify as a "mini-foster" in a matter of six months. David is a very large human being. I've met and trained with several dozen World Strongest Man competitors and David has a back as wide as any of the WSM competitors including Shaw, Hollands, Pfister and the other notable "big humans" that do strongman. David is a very impressive physical specimen.

All the best,
Jamie

Only marginally at best. If I were to let my hair grow out,shaved my chin and stop working out while maintaining the same caloric intake I could likely qualify as a "mini-foster" in a matter of six months. David is a very large human being. I've met and trained with several dozen World Strongest Man competitors and David has a back as wide as any of the WSM competitors including Shaw, Hollands, Pfister and the other notable "big humans" that do strongman. David is a very impressive physical specimen.

All the best,
Jamie

Just sent you some rep for your humility because your accomplishments speak for themselves.

Just sent you some rep for your humility because your accomplishments speak for themselves.

Thank you. You are too kind. In my eyes, life is too short to take oneself too seriously. I try my best to live each day as best I can with a goal of genuine happiness as we simply never know when our time will end. If I can bring a smile or help someone in anyway, I leave my days fulfilled.

All the best,
Jamie

Just had this sent to me. Some new racing axes coming out soon. They have an FB page.

BRUTE FORGE INTRO - YouTube

Brute Forge Racing Axes - Info | Facebook

I am curious to know who is making these axes. Simon Bennett and Mike Osbourne make good quality axes - they're both tool steel that was either rolled or pounded as I understand it. Graham Austin made some decent cast axes for short time. Not sure if he's still making them or not. Don Langdon's axe heads were, what I consider, the Cadillac of racing axes - top quality and a lot of painstaking hours put into them - rolled tool steel. Geoff Meyer did the Proaxes and I've had some true beauties come out of those and they were a cast axe as well.

My guess is they are cutting some very nice Mountain Ash in that video. Soft stuff it looks to be. The axe looks to be a hard hitting axe as it appears over 8" in length. Doesn't want to come out all that well in that soft wood, but that's to be expected when you're hard hitting.

All the best,
Jamie

I am curious to know who is making these axes. Simon Bennett and Mike Osbourne make good quality axes - they're both tool steel that was either rolled or pounded as I understand it. Graham Austin made some decent cast axes for short time. Not sure if he's still making them or not. Don Langdon's axe heads were, what I consider, the Cadillac of racing axes - top quality and a lot of painstaking hours put into them - rolled tool steel. Geoff Meyer did the Proaxes and I've had some true beauties come out of those and they were a cast axe as well.

My guess is they are cutting some very nice Mountain Ash in that video. Soft stuff it looks to be. The axe looks to be a hard hitting axe as it appears over 8" in length. Doesn't want to come out all that well in that soft wood, but that's to be expected when you're hard hitting.

All the best,
Jamie

Ah, I sorted it out. Clayton Read near Brisbane is making these axes. They look very nice. These heads are actually pounded/forged. Should make things very very interesting. Look nice.

All the best,
Jamie

Jamie, interesting that you mention Mike Osbourne, Ive just had an email back, one of his axes with handle ready to chop $500 AU. Thought that was reasonable really. Considering that a Tuatahi I think is a similar price. Keesteels Im not sure though. I met David Foster once-a big man indeed, 6'4" and a 150Kg of man. Thats damn big! He makes refrence to the great Melvin Lentz in his book that Im reading at the moment. Awesome read, its called the power of two if you are interested. Also how do you send rep here? cause Im gunna be sending you some after your comments too mate, very grounded and humble. A mark of a true axeman indeed also a sportsman. If your ever down under. look me up, ill bring the beers!

Jamie, interesting that you mention Mike Osbourne, Ive just had an email back, one of his axes with handle ready to chop $500 AU. Thought that was reasonable really. Considering that a Tuatahi I think is a similar price. Keesteels Im not sure though. I met David Foster once-a big man indeed, 6'4" and a 150Kg of man. Thats damn big! He makes refrence to the great Melvin Lentz in his book that Im reading at the moment. Awesome read, its called the power of two if you are interested. Also how do you send rep here? cause Im gunna be sending you some after your comments too mate, very grounded and humble. A mark of a true axeman indeed also a sportsman. If your ever down under. look me up, ill bring the beers!

You send rep by clicking on the star at the bottom left under the persons name. However, your rep won't count until you have a minimum of 50 posts. The amount of rep one gives per shot is a function of how much rep the giver has themself.

I see (said the blind man to his deaf wife) thank you so much for explaining it. Im a bit of a deadhead when it comes to this stuff really. (i know, im a blight to my generation heheheheh) it just seems that me n computers dont mix too well. perhaps that why I like woodchopping.........:cheers:

Rick, thank you very much. I do intend on coming down under again. I've done the Sydney show 8 times. I want to go one more time. I also want to do Adelaide, Melbourne, and Perth before I get too old. My wife and I, at this time, are thinking that once we get our daughters in uni that we will bugger off and chop wood for a few months. My youngest will star uni in 6 years. So that is when we intend on doing it. We arE very much planning for it. I may try Sydney one more time before then. Just to prove something to myself. My work and family commitments have kept me away for the past 5 years, but I want to see what i still have in me. If that makes any sense? And absolutely on the beers. Not much of a drinker, but I love a "good yarn" and good company.

I looked at your axes. That first Keesteel, what year is it? I think it looks great. Those other axes simply need a regrind and they will be Rippers. Is Jimmy O'doud or Brian Wright still doing up axes? I would find someone who is good or experienced at it and they should be able to repair the axes (get them ready for shows) for between 70 to $100. You will need to get handles and I know Brad turner and Kerry Head or making some for a reasonable price in your area.

The price that Mike quoted you is good for an axe ready to go with a handle in it. Here the heads go for $350 to $400 for a blank tui head. Then the handles are $20. Then the cost of doing it up. It adds up quick.

Im not sure what year the Keesteel is, All I know is that its an earlier one. Theres a bloke down south victoria somewhere that will grind, linish, polish and fit a new handle for 80-90 bucks AU. Cheap as I reckon. The True Blue has a crack in the back of the head so thats a wall hanger, Im slowly stoneing the chip out of the Aussie Speed Axe, that'll be good when its done. 1 of the Tui's is ready to go, Keesteel has a slight ding as does one other of the Tui's, Stewart also has a chip. Basically Im working on the following plan:
Training: 2 x Tui's
Racing Box= Keesteel, 1 x Tui, Stewart & Aussie Speed.
Slow process though but my coach is an extremly supportive bloke, giving advice whenever I ask, "the best way to learn how to sharpen your axes is to do it yourself, take your time, keep the stone as flat as possible and just work the burr back and forth." is what he said, and its working, chip is almost gone from the Aussie now and it is razor bloody sharp!

Jim O'Dowd sounds familiar, that could be the bloke Im thinkin of. For sure on the catch up aye no worries. Off to the Mansfield show tommorer, as long as the rain stays away the chop should be a good one. Glad that I could revive this awesome thread too. Great to get some good talk going on such a great sport!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back