Time for a New Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How far do you go before replacing?

DSC03616.jpg

DSC03622.jpg

Looks like you got your money's worth out of the chain in the first pic.

Dang! I've never seen one ground down that far. I think you're only supposed to go to the index line.

I take them down about like in the first picture. When they start spitting teeth, they become nail and bolt seekers for any wood that may have metal in it. (I don't do stumps into dirt.) Last chain only lasted about 7 years; I've still got some 3/8" pitch chipper chain that's got many years left.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

If there's no missing cutters I'll file down to the index line before replacing a loop. I've never filed one down to puppy teeth like that. :msp_ohmy:

We use them till they break enough "spike" teeth off they won't cut anymore. As long as the rakers/depth gauges are set, they will cut just as good as a new chain IF sharpened correctly. Interestingly we had a spool of Oregon chain that must have had brittle teeth as they were breaking very early in various wood types. What was really wild, was with close to half the teeth off of one side it still cut pretty good.

I always like to find people who say after a few sharpenings a chain should be thrown away. I take them with a smile. ;)

CTYank: How much wood do you cut? I take it you don't cut dead Hedge as it dulls them in a hurry. I'm pretty careful with my chains but there is no way cutting 30 - 50 cord a year I'd get anywhere close to that life span. I buy 12 loops at a time or spools.

As long as the rakers/depth gauges are set, they will cut just as good as a new chain IF sharpened correctly.

That chain was cutting GREAT. I could have sharpened it at least one more time, probably twice but it was quiting time & while I had a few minutes I replaced the chain.

I have used them till the teeth brake & I normally don't notice that until I stop to sharpen.

Spendthrift!

Why..plenty 0 life in that ole chain, turn it around, regrind the drive links so they grab, and put an edge on the remnants of the depth gauges! heheheh hey, might work!

We use them till they break enough "spike" teeth off they won't cut anymore. As long as the rakers/depth gauges are set, they will cut just as good as a new chain IF sharpened correctly. Interestingly we had a spool of Oregon chain that must have had brittle teeth as they were breaking very early in various wood types. What was really wild, was with close to half the teeth off of one side it still cut pretty good.

I always like to find people who say after a few sharpenings a chain should be thrown away. I take them with a smile. ;)

CTYank: How much wood do you cut? I take it you don't cut dead Hedge as it dulls them in a hurry. I'm pretty careful with my chains but there is no way cutting 30 - 50 cord a year I'd get anywhere close to that life span. I buy 12 loops at a time or spools.

Kevin,
We don't have osage orange here; you must travel some from Ohio to find it. :msp_wink:
We do have lots of black locust, which makes life difficult for saw chain.
On average I burn a couple of cords/year, and give away about the same. Not a commercial operation. (We do have more than our share of stone to boost the degree of difficulty.)
Hand-filing seems to boost chain longevity.

Kevin,
We don't have osage orange here; you must travel some from Ohio to find it. :msp_wink:
We do have lots of black locust, which makes life difficult for saw chain.
On average I burn a couple of cords/year, and give away about the same. Not a commercial operation. (We do have more than our share of stone to boost the degree of difficulty.)
Hand-filing seems to boost chain longevity.

Okay, That explains a lot. ;)

Back