Time sert vs helicoil for spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a friend drop an ms461 cylinder to me with a stripped spark plug hole. I purchased a helicoil kit to fix...they had tried to fix it with one already, and most likely didn't set the coil hard enough to get it to stay, as it Blew back out....or drilled hole wrong size. Was hoping to be able to fix it for him, but threads are stripped too far out for helicoil threads to grab at all.

My question is, does the actual time sert get drilled out the same size, or larger than the helicoil?

You should use a time sert type insert in this situation. Helicoil may hold but they eventually blow out when used for spark plug repairs.

Time Serts are usually a littler larger OD than helicoils.

Timesert's would be less likely to leak as well, although the spark plug gasket should take care of that.

Madsens sells the kit. Also I've bought them on amazon. I've used the smaller ones and love them. By far a more professional repair the heli coil

Time Serts are usually a littler larger OD than helicoils.

Only the top flange. The threaded portion is just a bit smaller than the helicoil.

The big sert for plug repair is is considerably larger.

E-Z Lok inserts solid thread. EXT thread is a standard, bigger diam. Take inner to your required thread. No special tools required beside a drill and a tap. WAY better than a soft, spring-like helicoil. The only thing great with helicoil is that it doesnt need a too bigger hole, if space is a problem.

I do it a lot, probably 15 cylinders by now without any problems. I've also welding in the combustion chamber smaller while I was at it.
how do you reach down that far in the chamber ?

Also I have a 200t cyl with the exhausts stripped out ( who doesn't?) do you just "spot" a few tacks and build up the "threads" even if you are blind ( no backing/)

how do you reach down that far in the chamber ?

Also I have a 200t cyl with the exhausts stripped out ( who doesn't?) do you just "spot" a few tacks and build up the "threads" even if you are blind ( no backing/)

I use a really long gas nozzle to reach into the chamber. I normally open up the thread bore so I can weld it shut from the outside and then just use the long reach to blend the chamber side without having to add much filler. Sometimes, if everything welds nice from the outside I don't even need to blend the chamber.

I've tried those 200T cylinders, they are a crap alloy, very porous and the filler will not flow with the base material.

I use a really long gas nozzle to reach into the chamber. I normally open up the thread bore so I can weld it shut from the outside and then just use the long reach to blend the chamber side without having to add much filler. Sometimes, if everything welds nice from the outside I don't even need to blend the chamber.

I've tried those 200T cylinders, they are a crap alloy, very porous and the filler will not flow with the base material.

Syncrowave 250 ?

Not what I was hoping to hear on the 200t jug :(

I do it a lot, probably 15 cylinders by now without any problems. I've also welding in the combustion chamber smaller while I was at it.
Excellent:D How does welding the combustion chamber workout. What tools and equipment does it take? What does it take to get the metal clean?

Back