Time to replace the sprocket...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalspec

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A guy I work with uses his 029 to cut his firewood every year. He bought it new around 10 years ago. This poor saw has been used hard and rarely seen the slightest bit of maintenance. It's been run over 4 times, fell out of the back of the truck more than once, left out in the rain.... yet it keeps running... somehow.

Talking to him one day about it, I asked him how often he cleans his airfilter. He says, "where is that?" :dizzy:

So, he agrees to give it to me to get it ready for this years cutting.... along with a parts saw he bought the last time he ran it over.

Long story short, I had to replace the av mounts, the handle, the chainbrake handle, and the sprocket, cleaned the airfilter and replaced the plug.

It runs great too. This thing amazes me! For being a home owner grade saw, it sure has endured much more abuse than I would have ever thought it could.

Here's a pic of the sprocket...
IM001927.jpg

wow gotta that lol. i used to work with a guy who knew a lady who bought a new car. somehow during his conversation with here he asked about an oil change. she says oil change??? i guess it it had like 35k on it with no oil changes. the motor died shortly after that :dizzy:

wow gotta that lol. i used to work with a guy who knew a lady who bought a new car. somehow during his conversation with here he asked about an oil change. she says oil change??? i guess it it had like 35k on it with no oil changes. the motor died shortly after that :dizzy:

I know a guy that had a Dodge Dakota that went 93,000 miles without changing the oil...

. . . . .
Long story short, I had to replace the av mounts, the handle, the chainbrake handle, and the sprocket, cleaned the airfilter and replaced the plug.

It runs great too. This thing amazes me! For being a home owner grade saw, it sure has endured much more abuse than I would have ever thought it could.

It looks like the chain profile has been milled into the sprocket!

Last edited:
This guy is an idiot! Who cut's wood for 10 yrs and does'nt know what an air filter is? Wait, I know, an idiot! That's who.:dizzy:

That's what I would've thought would've happened to this thing years ago. I checked it on my tach and it showed 14,300! Who knows how long it's been running like that too.

It was probably adjusted to compensate for the dirty air filter....

Since he knows how much that it bothers me that it has fallen out of his truck... he sends me this picture to show me how the 029 rides home from getting wood everytime...

Picture040.jpg

thats awesome!

ive got an old beater 029 super.

the sprocket is ALMOST that bad.
haha, good to know ive got some life left in it.

:cheers:

Ya, he was asking me why I think "the chain keeps flying off"... I've never seen bar rails and drive links wore so much!

Latest posts

Back