Time to send the old girl into retirement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not going to buy. 950 is to much. im watchn project saws now.

It was hard to swallow the $950, plus shipping, and then a shorter bar and chain (~$70). But I figure I got almost 30 years out of the last one which is a pretty good payback over that many years. :cheers:

. yeah thats good investment.

i plan to get that out of project saw at small fraction of the cost of a new

Its a sad day for classic Stihls everywhere.:cry: But a happy day for the new era saws.:) Nice 660 and good to hear youll keep the old girl around.:cheers:

My dad used to chastise me for using such a big saw all the time but when he came to help me and he would use my Homelite 925s and the smaller homelite (3-something???) I had he always quickly saw how much more production I was getting compared to him. Sure he had a few years on me, but I was blowing him away on the number of cuts per hour. With firewood speed = money as long as the cuts can be made safely. A friend had a Homelite 1050 (not sure of the number). It was the biggest saw Homelite made at the time and with that thing I could really chop the wood. I tended to only get that one out when I had 15" and bigger wood and nice straight stuff. That was NOT a limbing saw, not by any stretch of the imagination. It was like lugging around a VW bug. The guy only had that saw to loan to me for about 6 months and then someone stole it out of his truck. :mad:

I bet if a Homie 1050 could talk it would call a 15" log a limb! Those things are beasts.

very good looking saws.

darn good looking 660. but man i hate the dawgs that come on the 660's they are way to big and fugly.

yeah i was wonderin to. im watchn the bay for 066 660s and didnt see anything that clean lookin

I dunno, I really like the looks of the big dual-spike setup on the 660. I do agree that they're way too aggressive and pretty useless for everyday chores, especially bucking firewood, but they sure do come in handy for dropping big Douglas Firs with their thick, furrowed, cork-like bark. I have a set on my 066, but I was an idiot when I forgot to trace the smaller "regular" spikes that were on the 660 I sold back in the spring so I could make another set. I'd like to have both kicking around.

Last edited:
very good looking saws.

darn good looking 660. but man i hate the dawgs that come on the 660's they are way to big and fugly.

yeah i was wonderin to. im watchn the bay for 066 660s and didnt see anything that clean lookin

Too big? never cut a big cedar have you? the big firs and such out here have bark 5 inches think...

I dunno, I really like the looks of the big dual-spike setup on the 660. I do agree that they're way too aggressive and pretty useless for everyday chores, especially bucking firewood, but they sure do come in handy for dropping big Douglas Firs with their thick, furrowed, cork-like bark.

I used to pop the spikes off for bucking firewood. That way the saw could just slide down the side of the log. Pop them back on for felling.

Maybe in hardwood, but I find it sure can help with bucking the softwoods out here to be able to dog in and really put your weight into these big saws. I've got a couple small saws I inherited that don't have any spikes and it just feels foreign to me. Makes it harder to notch a tree, too. Just my feelings though.

I've never seen a Cedar with particularly thick bark, but I have seen Douglas Fir bark approaching 12" thick on some especially large trees. I think it grows thicker on the interior trees than the coastal subspecies, maybe due in part to harsher conditions. I'd say average bark thickness for a 30" Doug up here is at least 4", and the trees get a lot bigger than that even where I live in the dry interior.

I took the new kid out today for a spin and whacked some small stuff and a
~19" oak. Man that saw is sweet! That 660 melts through logs just like my 051 did. They sure have improved the performnce/weight in saws in the last 30 years. Maybe I won't wait so long to upgrade in the future.

Its a sad day for classic Stihls everywhere.:cry: But a happy day for the new era saws.:) Nice 660 and good to hear youll keep the old girl around.:cheers:

Not really.. while there's nuts like myself around these old saws will live forever:)

beforeLargeMedium.jpg

rhMedium-16.jpg

first next thing on the agenda should be a DP front cover makes a big power difference

Latest posts

Back