Tips for firewood hoarding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m a beginner firewood hoarder been running saw for a while, mainly trash cleanup and property maintenance. Any tips on how to cut perfect fireplace length every time? I haven’t done it enough to be calibrated, my dad was legit he could cut 100 sticks and probably only be off 2” me my little woodpile looks like dog crap….and I’m a bit ocd so that doesn’t help….thanks..I have a stihl 261 and a KM pole saw so trying to make the most of those investments…

I’m a beginner firewood hoarder been running saw for a while, mainly trash cleanup and property maintenance. Any tips on how to cut perfect fireplace length every time? I haven’t done it enough to be calibrated, my dad was legit he could cut 100 sticks and probably only be off 2” me my little woodpile looks like dog crap….and I’m a bit ocd so that doesn’t help….thanks..I have a stihl 261 and a KM pole saw so trying to make the most of those investments…
measure 16 inches from the end of your saw, might come out at about one of the bar bolts, remember that spot. Then as you go along a log set your saw on top, eyeball from end to 16 inch mark and cut there. A little practice and you will have your blocks all within a half of an inch.

I made a measuring stick. Used a strong magnet from Harbor Freight, drilled a hole through the handle and used a 1/4-20 threaded rod, double nutted it on the handle of the magnet. Painted it fluro Orange. If I were to make another one I'd use 10-32 threaded rod.

Stick it to the bar near the body of the saw, mark the whole piece with a mark on it from the saw, remove and cut to length.

Got a Mingo Marker, if there's snow/ice on the logs it don't work as well if the wheel slips on the bark.

Store the wood up off the ground under a roof of some sorts or the wood will start to rot in the piles.

I made a measuring stick too. I put a threaded insert into the end of a dowel and attach it to my battery saw. One of my sons goes down a log and marks it every 16", I follow behind and buck it with a gasser. But I've used the "measure your bar and mark it at length" before too. Problem is I run 3 different saw and forget which mark to look at.

measure 16 inches from the end of your saw, might come out at about one of the bar bolts, remember that spot. Then as you go along a log set your saw on top, eyeball from end to 16 inch mark and cut there. A little practice and you will have your blocks all within a half of an inch.

Best answer!

cut a section of 1x1 to the length you want your firewood, use a can of 99c spray paint to mark the logs before you cut. You can also cut a section of 1x1 and screw it to a small section of 2x4 to form a crude machinist square. I just cut at a glance and I end up with a range of sizes from 12"- 18" based on log shape and weight etc since it all burns and different folks need different lengths for their use.

take a single strand length of 12 gauge romex/house wire (solid wire, not braided),
leave the insulation on it, and turn an inch of
one end up and use a hose clamp to fasten it to the saw handle - bend the far end around at the
length you want your wood. You can flex the wire so the tip is right near the wood where it should
be cut. If you start doing something where the wire is in the way, just bend it out of the way, do
your thing, then bend it back when you need to use it again.

keep it simple

I do this. I’ve scratched the saw so it‘s easily located, or with a nice bar that still has letters visible, I’ll remember what letter it is. Consistent lengths maximize use of space.

Same as above but I scribe the bar with a Dremel at my preferred length as a quick check. Always there... no extra time or materials marking it out. Used to use a sharpie or mark in the paint but they wear off.

FWIW - I have gotten pretty good at eyeing it up consistently but sometimes get out of the zone, especially with very large diameters.

I made a homemade one with a rare earth magnet and an aluminum arrow. Works great. I usually have it on my smaller saw ti mark logs. I even cut small logs with it on.Resized_20210313_085949.jpg20220204_140553.jpg

I use measuring sticks for the bigger stuff out in the woods and a cutting jig for the smaller stuff I bring home in 4' or 8' lengths. I stack an area of 16' wide, 8' deep, by 8' high every year.

Attachments

• IMG_0562[1].JPG
    IMG_0562[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2272[1].JPG
    IMG_2272[1].JPG
    999.2 KB · Views: 2
Back