to all you i cut 300-400 cords a year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like someone is just trying to stir the pot? I have cut 2 cords by myself in a days time many of times. I split all my wood in the woods, no piling brush. But it was easy peasy to do 2 cords :cheers:
Course imma a youngin!
Oh and afterwards I would dry the wood with my moms hair dryer! :laugh:

Last edited:
Of course the _real_ men did only 30-40 cords/yr. That was back in the olden days of heating houses with fireplaces, working old growth hardwood with misery sticks.

I dunno how they had the time to take care of farming, etc.

Harry K

400 cords possible with a saw like this [video=youtube;te3FBhdqgK8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3FBhdqgK8[/video]

The best I ever did was 2 cords in one day.I cut it and split it by hand and loaded it on my dump.I was not trying to compete with anyone,and that was about 35 years ago.Could not even come close to that today.I am pretty sure I could still do close to a cord but I would be sore for several days after.Things just are not easy as they once were.

I would not even try to do a cord today,who cares?I sure am not out to prove anything to anyone.I do about 10 to 12 cords a year now,as long as I stay at least 2 years ahead I am happy.

While I am on the subject,I want you to know I goofed up the other day.Ma-be some one will think of what I did and not do the same.I have had a bad habit the last few years of holding a smaller log from beneath it,so that the 4 way splitter can split it evenly. Well it got me pretty good,I will lose 2 fingernails and I have a pretty messed up middle finger.The log I was holding had a slight taper towards the top of the log.The splitter hit this first and pushed the log down on my hand.It happened pretty quick and I backed it off right away,but the damage was done.

I have split like this for years and never got hurt,well I will not do it again.Hope my stupidity keeps someone else from getting hurt.

The best I ever did was 2 cords in one day.I cut it and split it by hand and loaded it on my dump.I was not trying to compete with anyone,and that was about 35 years ago.Could not even come close to that today.I am pretty sure I could still do close to a cord but I would be sore for several days after.Things just are not easy as they once were.

I would not even try to do a cord today,who cares?I sure am not out to prove anything to anyone.I do about 10 to 12 cords a year now,as long as I stay at least 2 years ahead I am happy.

While I am on the subject,I want you to know I goofed up the other day.Ma-be some one will think of what I did and not do the same.I have had a bad habit the last few years of holding a smaller log from beneath it,so that the 4 way splitter can split it evenly. Well it got me pretty good,I will lose 2 fingernails and I have a pretty messed up middle finger.The log I was holding had a slight taper towards the top of the log.The splitter hit this first and pushed the log down on my hand.It happened pretty quick and I backed it off right away,but the damage was done.

I have split like this for years and never got hurt,well I will not do it again.Hope my stupidity keeps someone else from getting hurt.

Parallel wood is overrated, Sir.

You'll heal.

There's a guy up the road from me that has 4-5 windrows of wood at any one time. 30' high and all about 100' long. Never see anyone else working but him on the machinery....so yeah, it's entirely possible simply because he has the trucks and equipment to make it so.

This summer I did over a cord - cut, split, brought home and piled, same day. CAN be done.

So you have 90 cords at home Denis, or did you do it for a week or two, which is hardcore in itself.

All black spruce and birch that you split with an axe?
Where's home?

Home is near Hearst, Ont., a bit West of Cochrane, on Hwy 11. I cut Poplar and Tamarack, with a little Birch in there, because there's only a little birch around here anyway. And it's little. All split with a Fiskars, faster than my neighbors hydraulic splitter.

Actually I keep 3 or 4 cords cut and split at the lake for burning in the firepit, not 90 by any stretch. The odd rick gets sold to neighbor campers at the lake, those who aren't capable of the work themselves. I only ask for what it costs for gas & such.

I was just saying that 300 cords would be possible if someone cut a cord a day, split and piled it, for 10 months straight. Hope such a guy doesn't have a day job, 'cause it ain't gonna happen !

400 cords possible with a saw like this [video=youtube;te3FBhdqgK8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3FBhdqgK8[/video]

Yup, I DEFINITELY want one of those !!!!!

Originally Posted by hdpowers
wow now youve read every post on here, ill find them for you, pos

Totally Disrespectful with the name calling..
Press on elsewhere..

Home is near Hearst, Ont., a bit West of Cochrane, on Hwy 11. I cut Poplar and Tamarack, with a little Birch in there, because there's only a little birch around here anyway. And it's little. All split with a Fiskars, faster than my neighbors hydraulic splitter.

Actually I keep 3 or 4 cords cut and split at the lake for burning in the firepit, not 90 by any stretch. The odd rick gets sold to neighbor campers at the lake, those who aren't capable of the work themselves. I only ask for what it costs for gas & such.

I was just saying that 300 cords would be possible if someone cut a cord a day, split and piled it, for 10 months straight. Hope such a guy doesn't have a day job, 'cause it ain't gonna happen !

Yup, I DEFINITELY want one of those !!!!!

How much does it cost?

:popcorn:

I'm starting to get thirsty, anybody bring anything for the real men to drink while we are entertained by one of the leading authorities on firewood cutting.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back