To all you Southerners out there....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Ever been accused of being a foreigner?
I was having a conversation last night with a customer on the phone,and I thought it was going well.At the last minute she blew up and said she wants to speak with an American.WTF?
I explained that I am as American as it gets,9 generations can be traced back to the early days of early America.
She fussed and fumed, and said,"anyone that talks like you do cant be from America, put an American on the phone!"
If it didnt tick me off so bad, it would have been funny.
Yeah,its off topic, kinda....But I live here!

I suppose if the civil war had gone differently you would have been a foreigner.
Tennesseans do have a real wang to their speech but you are from the PNW aren't you?

I suppose if the civil war had gone differently you would have been a foreigner.
Tennesseans do have a real wang to their speech but you are from the PNW aren't you?

You got a good memory Laird!Yep, I originally hail from a little town north of Vancouver WA.Been here in the south for 12 years now and suffer from a severe case of "man without a country" syndrome.Folks around here ask me where I am from, the say I have no accent.When I call home to the PNW, folks tell me to slow down, they can understand a word that I am saying!
Never been accused of having been a foreigner though....:cry:

For me, Massachusetts is south. When among those southerners, I sure feel like a foreigner.

Don't feel bad some folks think I'm from Canada....eh.
Not that that's a bad thing...some think I'm indian....and some think I have gills too.

I was calling a place in Maine about a heater that they had advertised on the Internet. I asked a couple questions and all of a sudden this guy blurts out a lot of profanity and says that the people below the Mason Dixon line need to learn to speak English. I had trouble understanding him too but I didn't get rude about it.

Needless to say I didn't buy the heater.

I was calling a place in Maine about a heater that they had advertised on the Internet. I asked a couple questions and all of a sudden this guy blurts out a lot of profanity and says that the people below the Mason Dixon line need to learn to speak English. I had trouble understanding him too but I didn't get rude about it.

Nice thing about being a Hoosier...everybody can understand ya. LOL:clap:

People over there talk funny. :)

I once met a guy from North Berwick, Maine. It's a town just to the north of another town called Berwick.

Asked him where he was from. He told me "Noh't Buw-wick."

Ok. So we've established where you're not from. But where are you actually from? Went on like this for a little while.

"No, naht Buw-wick, naht Sout' Buw-wick. I'm from Noh't Buw-wick."

I'm fluent in Mainer, but had a real fun time getting this guy all worked up and turned around. :jester::jester:

You got a good memory Laird!Yep, I originally hail from a little town north of Vancouver WA.Been here in the south for 12 years now and suffer from a severe case of "man without a country" syndrome.Folks around here ask me where I am from, the say I have no accent.When I call home to the PNW, folks tell me to slow down, they can understand a word that I am saying!
Never been accused of having been a foreigner though....:cry:

I hear ya! As a kid I spent summers on the farm in the midwest. By the time I got home I had developed an accent and my friends would give me grief about it.

Did you say you were from BG in another thread somewhere? I lived out there for a while and that sticks out in my mind when I see your posts for some reason.

I hear ya! As a kid I spent summers on the farm in the midwest. By the time I got home I had developed an accent and my friends would give me grief about it.

Did you say you were from BG in another thread somewhere? I lived out there for a while and that sticks out in my mind when I see your posts for some reason.

Yep, that the town alright.havent been back there in 12 years,but i heard that you would never recognize the place now.You from around there?

im from mass. i was one the phone with yearone in georgia a few years ago. i couldnt understand a damn thing the guy was saying. i told him this and he said he couldnt understand me either lol. so i hung up and called back and got someone with a little less accent lol.

Yep, that the town alright.havent been back there in 12 years,but i heard that you would never recognize the place now.You from around there?

Grew up in Vancouver but lived in BG from '97 until '06. It's incredible how it changed just in that time! 503 nearly splits it in half and they've built south to 199th. I'm only talking businesses here, there's even have a movie theater now. Pretty much every field withing 5 miles of town has been turned into housing developments.

Last edited:

Did he sound like one of these folks?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VE2f-dg7qI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VE2f-dg7qI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I lived in the 'south' for 20 years and never been accused of being a foreigner. My years in the south weren't in the country or deep south though... they were in Daytona! In those 20 years, I never really picked up an accent and the only southern word I really picked up is y'all. Never picked up 'fixin'.

I've had the shipping department of a major retailer tell me they don't ship to "Mexico" when I give them my address in New Mexico. I've also had a clerk at UPS tell me the shipping will be more since they are sending it internationally (to Mexico, I guess), again when I give my New Mexico address.

For me, Massachusetts is south. When among those southerners, I sure feel like a foreigner.

uhm... WOW...I thought I was a northerner living along 35* North
Yea, I have been accused of being a foreigner...
I have been asked if I was from Canada (in Indonesia)
I have been asked if I was from England (in Singapore)
I have been asked if Im texan (in the UK)
I have been asked to "prease speak engrish" (in Japan)

Did he sound like one of these folks?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VE2f-dg7qI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VE2f-dg7qI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, I think it was that guy at about 3:08. LOL

I really don't remember. It's been over a year ago and all I remember is that he had a lot of accent and I had trouble understanding him. I know that I probably have a southern accent but it sounds normal to me.

Grew up in Vancouver but lived in BG from '97 until '06. It's incredible how it changed just in that time! 503 nearly splits it in half and they've built south to 199th. I'm only talking businesses here, there's even have a movie theater now. Pretty much every field withing 5 miles of town has been turned into housing developments.

Thats incredible!When I left, the school farm was still there, no business really south of town.Movie theater?I hate to think whats next......
Guess I dont need to go back home, it would depress me.BG was always a sleepy little town with two grocery stores.

The only English speaking Americans I have a problem with is Bostonians..Went there one time and thought I was in China..Found a guy from Jersey to translate..

Back