To case or not to case?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't use them one mor ething to buy and take care of. I keep all my extras chains, oil, tools, gas, oil, bar oil, gloves etc in milk crate

I like having a case for the saw. Holds the extra stuff I carry around with the saw. Protects the chain and bar while I am running the mountain on the four wheeler or in the bed of the truck. Maybe it is not cool by some peoples standards but my saws cost me good money and a case seems like a small investment to protect a larger one. While my saws look used they are not beat and I attribute that primarily to the case protecting them when I am hauling them around. Have a neighbor who bought a saw same time as me, I cut twice the wood he does, but he just puts his saw in the back of his truck with the wood he cuts. After a few miles on the mountain roads around here and that saw gets buried under some wood. Well after 3 years of running the mountain his top cover has been JB welded and the saw handle is cracked, the saw looks like its been through the war. Each to their own but, Yeah, I like having a case.

I like having a case for the saw. Holds the extra stuff I carry around with the saw. Protects the chain and bar while I am running the mountain on the four wheeler or in the bed of the truck. Maybe it is not cool by some peoples standards but my saws cost me good money and a case seems like a small investment to protect a larger one. While my saws look used they are not beat and I attribute that primarily to the case protecting them when I am hauling them around. Have a neighbor who bought a saw same time as me, I cut twice the wood he does, but he just puts his saw in the back of his truck with the wood he cuts. After a few miles on the mountain roads around here and that saw gets buried under some wood. Well after 3 years of running the mountain his top cover has been JB welded and the saw handle is cracked, the saw looks like its been through the war. Each to their own but, Yeah, I like having a case.

Some people are just hard on their stuff, and don't treat it as well as others. I never use case's, and my stuff is mint.

I run a case for my 346 because I keep everything in it files oil ect. Its nice to have everything with you at all times. :msp_thumbup: Big saw I dont case

Got one of those pretty orange Husky "girlie man" cases that Parrisw spoke of so fondly for Christmas a few years ago. Never seen a saw inside the case, but I have it filled up with a pretty good supply of chains, spare parts, tools, rags, etc. and it is real handy to throw in the truck, along with a few saws, when heading to a GTG.

I case my saw so that when other stuff in the garage gets thrown around, the saw isn't getting torn up. Also, to keep my kids from tearing themselves up on it in their rummaging for toys.

No saw cases here either. Bulky pain in the butt.

Gary

Exactly. When I load up everything I need for a day's work there isn't any room for saw cases.

I built a saw rack to keep them from moving around.

PC021959-1.jpg

I like to have mine in a case. I like my saws and take good care of them. As far as people saying its just a saw and it will be getting beat up by branches and such I can't agree. It's like my guns, I case them and take care of them and when in the woods they might get scratched by branches but I just take care of them. What's the difference between a $600-800 saw and a $600-800 rifle? They are both tools I use in the woods and I take good care of them so I can use them a long time. Just my thoughts on cases.

Exactly. When I load up everything I need for a day's work there isn't any room for saw cases.

I built a saw rack to keep them from moving around.

PC021959-1.jpg

yup only case is the back of the pickup ,no need for one that i can see ,they are chainsaws ,not jewelry :hmm3grin2orange:

I keep a quart of bar oil, 2 quarts gas, spare chain, gloves, wedges, hammer or hatchet, ear plugs, file, scrench , screwdrivers, plug, maybe a spare air filter in each case for my 7900, 346, and 200t. I can load all of them with 2 trips to the shed and head out for a day of cutting short notice, not trying to find everything. When I get to my buddies house to cut, I throw all them in the back of the gator and then it is trail time, bouncing all over to get back to the trees we want. The cases keep all the stuff from sprawling all over the back of the gator. I can pull out a case, hike to the tree with the case and have it all right there. Then we can either drag the trees back or buck them up and trailer them back. Keeps the chains sharp and the bars straight. I just let all the oil sit in the bottom of the cases, messy but no big deal, wipe or blow it out once in a while. I use a large toolbox for the 200t and husky boxes for the other 2. Allows me to stack them in the back of my work van and they fit perfect.

I do not like the stihl shaped cases because they do not stack well and do not have enough room for gas and oil. I used to think they looked cool, just not practical for me. The cases just allow me to be a little more organized so I can load in a hurry. Sometimes I will get a 2-3 hour break at lunch and grab a saw if the weather is nice, go make some chips and some noise.

exactly, I usually go up on the mountain with two saws, I simply grab my two cases and I am set, files oil gloves everything I need is ready to go. I just grab the cases and head, when I come off the mountain from a day of woodcutting I make sure chains sharp, clean the saw up and recase it and make sure bar oil bottles etc are all topped up and ready for the next time and put them away....
to me they are jewelry that's the closest thing to jewelry I have my guns and saws, I pay good money for them keep them clean and ready to operate at any time so I want them to stay clean and protected in a case. :D

Last edited:
Just bar sleeves for this guy. Have a Klein tool box I got in sparky school that works perfectly for me to carry files chains wedges screwdrivers grease ect

yes chainsaws are tools too be used, but being a mechanic for the last 26 years, I would NEVER just throw a bunch of my snap-on stuff in a cardboard box and head to work, but there are guys that do. like others have said I paid alot of cash for my saws so I take the best care that I can with them, and the cases are the perfect place for the extra chains, scrench, wedges, ect,ect,ect.
some guys dont mind buying new tools to replace damaged ones, I do! buy it once and take care of it and it will last a long time! my$.02

Yep. Nearly all of the saws have cases.

Kinda sad I know, but it's the truth.

To all you'uns that thought I was a tought ole rugged plumber type, sorry to let you down.

Now where's my purse, time to go buy a new blouse!

I prefer a case.

Helps protect the saw from getting banged around. Yesterday for example, son went in the shed to get a bicycle out of the back. Managed to knock the saw down on the concrete floor, blade first. Goodly, several teeth were reshaped by that impact. If the saw was in a case, it probably wouldn't have been damaged at all.

Helps contain the mess a saw makes. OK, the newest doesn't drool, but that's a yet. Otherwise, invariably bar oil gets into whatever the saw is on. Be it a shelf, the shop floor, truck bed, or car interior (gasp, sometimes I carry it there!). True, the case will get gunky eventually, but lining it with old newspaper pretty much takes care of that.

I could also put everything into a rubbermaid tote I suppose.

Nope! Its a chainsaw! Comes in constant contact with saw chips/dust, vibration, oil, gasoline, falling trees, logs, brush etc etc etc.

Do you honestly think its going to get hurt sitting on a shelf in your shop, garage or work truck with out being protected by a case? I dont think so.

Unless you have a brand new, unused vintage saw I say why bother. Just my $.02:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep...

No saw cases here either. Bulky pain in the butt.

Gary

Yeop!!

Cases take up too much space when you have several saws. And sooner or later you end up with a sticky mess of bar lube in the bottom of them.

Yeup!

Cases take up to much room, no cases:rock:

Yeppers!

Skip the cases it is a saw, I would rather spend that wasted case money on more saws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::help:

Yessiree, Bob!

Some of us have to carry them to the Ranch from the Beach, and prefer to take the Tahoe rather than the F 150. That and the sticky bar oil mess StilyinEly mentions, is why you have a case....

I do beg to differ, I don't let any metal get within Cootie Range of my sharp chains....

Legit need for case. But that's for the vehicle's benefit, not the saws.

Some people are just hard on their stuff, and don't treat it as well as others. I never use case's, and my stuff is mint.

U-Huh!!

yup only case is the back of the pickup ,no need for one that i can see ,they are chainsaws ,not jewelry :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes Ma'am, I'll get you that ring!!

...What's the difference between a $600-800 saw and a $600-800 rifle? They are both tools I use in the woods..

A firearm is a precision piece of equipment with exacting tolerances, and whose variances from those tolerances can have a big impact. A bit of gunk in the wrong place in a firearm can be the difference in bring home the game or watching it bound away, or in dropping the intruder vs. watching him flee. I don't own fancy guns bc any gun I own is going to see action in the field and I expect them to get some dings. I prefer to spend my money on nice optics. If I want something beautiful to show off, I buy a picture for the den or some bling for the wife.

...I do like scabbards on my saws for transportation. I also hang most of my saws for storage and the scabbard catches any oil that leaks.

Latest posts

Back