to rebuild or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bang::bang::bang:

What is it with these dumb manufacturers? How frigg'in hard is it to make a GOOD copy???? I guess I'll cross another aftermarket brand off the list.:mad:

Lost in translation in China? Or maybe they are making them in India now? Outsource the cheap with even cheaper...

Last edited:
When I was a worldwide support engineer for product development at Intergraph, I was always amazed with what came out of India. Or rather, the lack of it. If they were confused about a spec, they would just sit on it. For months, or even years. Or they would make decisions based on no data, or missing data. Rather than call me and ask a simple question, they would just say, "Everything is going fine." Then the development VP would go to India and find that they did nothing, or went off on some tangent and worked on something that was completely useless, or worse, detrimental to the product line. In one case, he found that the developers there had all gone to work for a company across the street, and were still charging the company for work done. Ethics? Workmanship and quality? Ba-ha-ha-ha-ha! No such thing in many parts of the world.

I once had a street vendor come up to me in New York City and try to sell me some knives he claimed were quality. I picked one up and it said, MADE IN GARMANY. Yah, real Garman engineering! From Pakistan!

...and people wonder why I only use OEM, and hate the BB kits and aftermaket stuff for saws...

It's why I only use OEM fluids too... It's a trust thing.

Guess that makes me an OEM snob... oh well... just call me Snobby McSnobbington... :laugh:

Gary

...and people wonder why I only use OEM, and hate the BB kits and aftermaket stuff for saws...

Guess that makes me an OEM snob... oh well... just call me Snobby McSnobbington... :laugh:

Gary

Snobby McSnobbington?:) How about Noah Phermarket Peeston.;)

I am one who also avoids aftermarket parts. Some folks think I'm absolutely nuts to pay $180 or more for a factory P/C. I just can't trust the aftermarket stuff, cripe, some of the pistons don't even look anything like the OEM pistons.

With engines and parts replacment, one should also never take anything for granted. The new part may even be packaged wrong? Sure, it's no big deal for some to remove some material at the bottom of the skirts for counterweight clearance, but was the pin height checked to see if the compression distance was the same as the piston being replaced? Was the new piston checked at various places to make sure it the dimensions were correct, not just at the bottom of the skirt, how about the distance the ring was from the pin, diameter at the ring location, width of the ring groove, etc?

Good way to loose a bunch of power by lowering the compression a bit and not know why? How about weight? Has anyone ever weighed any of the low cost aftermarket pistons to see how they compare with the factory piston being replaced? The piston is factored into the engine balance as reciprocating weight, and being off a bit is not good for the rest of the engine.......Cliff

Gary

garys OEM fluids = Originally Engineered by Me....... = GarysOwn

:bang::bang::bang:

What is it with these dumb manufacturers? How frigg'in hard is it to make a GOOD copy???? I guess I'll cross another aftermarket brand off the list.:mad:

Do you really think the Chinese are dumb? They invented gunpowder. Where the hell would we be without gunpowder. Dumb are the bargin hunters.

Sure, it's no big deal for some to remove some material at the bottom of the skirts for counterweight clearance, but was the pin height checked to see if the compression distance was the same as the piston being replaced? Was the new piston checked at various places to make sure it the dimensions were correct, not just at the bottom of the skirt, how about the distance the ring was from the pin, diameter at the ring location, width of the ring groove, etc?

Yes, I did check all of these except for weight. They are nearly identical with the acception of the skirt. All they needed to do was put a bigger taper at the base of the skirt to make room. The skirt is also slightly wider on both the intake and exhaust sides (more room for porting).

Good news, most folks just slap them in and go. They pretty much assume that if it fits the bore it's going to work as good as OEM.......Cliff

PS: something else to consider with offshore aftermarket parts of unknown origin is their material content and thermal expansion rate(s). The OEM pistons are sized/shaped to allow for thermal expansion of the part to maintain the most ideal piston to wall clearances in actual use. They allows they are cast from use a "recipe" of base materials they come up with thru many hundreds of hours of factory testing. Yes, the factory really does spend the time and funds to research these things to determine the most ideal specifications for their parts.

Husqvarna, Stihl, etc have to make sure that their engines can not only make the best power possible, they must be able to last in long term service. A company doesn't get to the top of the pile by building engines that cut so fast they scare the hell out of you, then wear out in 4 or 5 trips to the woods!

My question is, do the Chinese, Tiawan, India or whatever copies of factory parts test their pistons under the demanding conditions that the factory engineers do? Do they use the same cylinder wall coating material(s) and piston ring compositions, tension, clearance(s), etc?

Answer those questions with a yes, and I'll start using aftermarket P/C's tomorrow!

Last edited:
I got the new clips from tony, and got it all put back together. After pulling it over a few times, I checked the compression.

180 pounds!!!

I just ran it a little bit, let it warm up, blipped the throttle a few times.

I'll heat cycle it a few more times, and then get it into some wood.

More later...

Ran it at WOT, My edt 8 was reading 14860 RPM's. I couldn't really tell if it was 4 stroking or not. High screw is turned out to the limiter. I'll have to remove that. Although spec is 14k
+ - 1000, I'd like the RPM's to be under 14000 to stay on the safe side.
DO you think that sounds resonable?

If i got a set of pistons for a drag motor or stock motor and they hit when
they are supposed to be a direct replacement .they would go either in the
trash or back to the vendor .They dont advertise pistons as half done
or needing to be fitted .If they want to sell junk advertise it that way
Bottom line you get what you pay for

Tsing-Tao piston! Custom fitment for your chainsaw engeene! One sizing fit all! Just needing grinder is all! Grind to you owner requirement! Send photo of piston for us to estimate size. We cook up casting and send two ewe ferry fat! Reel cheep cheep! Only fiveteen dollar a piston! No cheep metal! Last long time! Garuntee! Money backing! Fast cooking and ship for you! Manee happiness satisfaction customar! No better deal in world! Ring grind extra. Polish extra. Free porting. Extra hole by requesting. Garuntee! Money backing! Full coustom! Vacuum discount!

Last edited:
Alright, alright, quit hijacking the dog gone thread. You guys have made your point. BTW, Meteor is made in Italy, And I'd buy one again.

:arg: :arg: :arg: :arg: :arg: :arg:

Tsing-Tao piston! Custom fitment for your chainsaw engeene! One sizing fit all! Just needing grinder is all! Grind to you owner requirement! Send photo of piston for us to estimate size. We cook up casting and send two ewe ferry fat! Reel cheep cheep! Only fiveteen dollar a piston! No cheep metal! Last long time! Garuntee! Money backing! Fast cooking and ship for you! Manee happiness satisfaction customar! No better deal in world! Ring grind extra. Polish extra. Free porting. Extra hole by requesting. Garuntee! Money backing! Full coustom! Vacuum discount!

Hypereutectic aluminum has 15% less thermal expansion than conventional piston alloys...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back