Today’s haul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeeCo35.gif
Didn't see a place for this... New... but the pivot point was welded on in the wrong position such that when vertical it lifts the wheels about 3" off the ground. It was "lost" in the warehouse for a number of years... $500! So far I split about an 1/8 cord of oak to try it out... Relocating the pivot point is anticipated in the future.

Some folk get all the luck, I been looking for a chain vice for years. They rarely come up for sale in uk and when they do they sell on ebay for crazy price

View attachment 1006002
Didn't see a place for this... New... but the pivot point was welded on in the wrong position such that when vertical it lifts the wheels about 3" off the ground. It was "lost" in the warehouse for a number of years... $500! So far I split about an 1/8 cord of oak to try it out... Relocating the pivot point is anticipated in the future.
Very nice!

View attachment 1006002
Lots of operators never use the vertical position or just rarely when they forgot to noodle cut a big round in half. Not sure you have to change anything, Griz.

Lots of operators never use the vertical position or just rarely when they forgot to noodle cut a big round in half. Not sure you have to change anything, Griz.
Thus far I haven't done anything with the pivot. However, I keep ending up with large oak and maple trees that at a minimum need to be halved by noodling. The last big oak had to be quartered... this as the rounds were 4-500 lbs based on calculations and tables. I cannot pick those up.😉

I've used it vertically by putting some slab wood under the tires and chocking them... Thus, moving the pivot point would be handy in use, and it would allow the tab to drop into the slot in the top of the I-beam so it can be secured for transport.

I picked up a trailer dolly so I can move it around easier and plan to get a table for it. It was a good buy... no regrets.

Thus far I haven't done anything with the pivot. However, I keep ending up with large oak and maple trees that at a minimum need to be halved by noodling. The last big oak had to be quartered... this as the rounds were 4-500 lbs based on calculations and tables. I cannot pick those up.😉

I've used it vertically by putting some slab wood under the tires and chocking them... Thus, moving the pivot point would be handy in use, and it would allow the tab to drop into the slot in the top of the I-beam so it can be secured for transport.

I picked up a trailer dolly so I can move it around easier and plan to get a table for it. It was a good buy... no regrets.
Just dig a 3" hole.

I have a splitter similar to that. Almost never use it vertically. So hard to maneuver the rounds to split them vertically (you usually have to keep nibbling at the edges till they get smaller and smaller) that it is easier to noodle them.

I have a splitter similar to that. Almost never use it vertically. So hard to maneuver the rounds to split them vertically (you usually have to keep nibbling at the edges till they get smaller and smaller) that it is easier to noodle them.
I tried taking pieces off the edges initially, like I would with a splitting axe, but the chunk stayed too heavy for too long. Now I use a hand truck to get the big halves/quarters over to the splitter. Then I immediately split the piece in half and work each half separately. That gets the chuck down to a manageable size quickly and doesn't wreck my back. It's also faster and cheaper than repeatedly noodling.

would some taller wheels be your solution?

Back