Today's paper....my little town/and a fellow faller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Local paper ran a nice article about my backyard here in the canyon....the mill was at one time the largest in North America, used to be pretty bustling around here, not too long ago.

Milltown History Center

They also ran a nice article on my friend Greg, a fellow timberfaller who had a bad run in with a rotten Lodgepole. He's making the best of things, one lucky guy.

UM Class of 2011: Close call with tree led to MBA career change

-Sam

Local paper ran a nice article about my backyard here in the canyon....the mill was at one time the largest in North America, used to be pretty bustling around here, not too long ago.

Milltown History Center

They also ran a nice article on my friend Greg, a fellow timberfaller who had a bad run in with a rotten Lodgepole. He's making the best of things, one lucky guy.

UM Class of 2011: Close call with tree led to MBA career change

-Sam
Good articles. I can relate to your buddy. Only mine was a car wreck that forced me out of the business.
He'll probably be reminded a lot in the future of what put him in his new business. Seems like those kind of injuries seem to stick with you.

Good articles. I can relate to your buddy. Only mine was a car wreck that forced me out of the business.
He'll probably be reminded a lot in the future of what put him in his new business. Seems like those kind of injuries seem to stick with you.

Yup. That was my worst injury, too. Driving to work one morning, going too fast as usual, blew a front tire and snap-rolled down over an embankment. Seems like crashes take out more loggers than woods accidents do.

LOL...I wasn't as smart as Sam's buddy, though. When I healed up I went back on the saw.

Last edited:
Yup. That was my worst injury, too. Driving to work one morning, going too fast as usual, blew a front tire and snap-rolled down over an embankment. Seems like crashes take out more loggers than woods accidents do.
Yeah, it's probably due to the early get up to go to work. I remember in the hey days every once in a while you'd read about some crummy that rolled early in the morning.

LOL...I wasn't as smart as Sam's buddy, though. When I healed up I went back on the saw.
I would have too if it there had been anything to go back to. Things here have just plain shut down. The Gifford Pinchot last year sold about 13 million feet on the whole forest. And that was second growth from prior burns. There's not much call for handfallers here anymore. I take every opportunity just to keep my fingers in it.

You never know where the final blow will come from. A friend of mine was bit by a ticker - carrying Lyme's disease. Well, it appeared he already had an old infection from years back. The new infection activated the old one. His hands started shaking so bad he couldn't hit the gas tank anymore...

You never know where the final blow will come from. A friend of mine was bit by a ticker - carrying Lyme's disease. Well, it appeared he already had an old infection from years back. The new infection activated the old one. His hands started shaking so bad he couldn't hit the gas tank anymore...

No, you don't, do you? One day you're walking around in good health and the next you're down. I guess we tend to think we're bullet proof until we get knocked down. I've noticed that the older I get the more thankful I am that I can get up and do things every day. I rue the day when I can't feel a good cutting chain on a good running saw in a nice tree.

Good stuff Sam, thanks.
Vehicles account for half of my injuries, picked-up a couple permanent ones along the way. The accident that caused the left leg injury, pretty much took me out of the running, ended up being a flat ground logger.

Back