Today's project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the "Mweba had some fun today" thread, well the neighbor just to the west (right across the street from me) had a maple they wanted to get rid of and I was able to get to it today. Son Jeff came to help and brought the McCulloch 610 I gave him.

Not a very pretty tree, there were a few dead branches in the center, one large limb blew out earlier this year. Neighbor thought it would be a good idea to get it cut down before anything fell on on of theirs trucks parked in the driveway.

Here is a few from across the street, I was standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. Hey look, I got both of my trucks in one photo with the tree! Wow, I guess I didn't notice what a beautiful morning it was with the blue, blue sky.

attachment.php

First step was to cut off a few branches to make sure it fell the right way and none of the branches hit anything on the way down.

attachment.php

With that done, let's get this thing on the ground.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We started at 8:30 and my wife had a "brunch" for us at 10:00, look at the damage we'd caused by now.

attachment.php

Now this is a small town, so you can get by dropping a tree in the street and then working it up at you leisure. I pulled the red truck with the splitter across to block one direction, and the white truck with the trailer across to block the down stream side.

Mark

Some of you may remember the "Mweba had some fun today" thread, well the neighbor just to the west (right across the street from me) had a maple they wanted to get rid of and I was able to get to it today. Son Jeff came to help and brought the McCulloch 610 I gave him.

Not a very pretty tree, there were a few dead branches in the center, one large limb blew out earlier this year. Neighbor thought it would be a good idea to get it cut down before anything fell on on of theirs trucks parked in the driveway.

Here is a few from across the street, I was standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. Hey look, I got both of my trucks in one photo with the tree! Wow, I guess I didn't notice what a beautiful morning it was with the blue, blue sky.

attachment.php

First step was to cut off a few branches to make sure it fell the right way and none of the branches hit anything on the way down.

attachment.php

With that done, let's get this thing on the ground.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We started at 8:30 and my wife had a "brunch" for us at 10:00, look at the damage we'd caused by now.

attachment.php

Now this is a small town, so you can get by dropping a tree in the street and then working it up at you leisure. I pulled the red truck with the splitter across to block one direction, and the white truck with the trailer across to block the down stream side.

Mark

The only MAC I see is a 610 :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Nice work Mark. Is that saw cream and orange on the stump? I don't see any yellow?

Nice work. I was just wondering how could you fellows blocked the street, but I saw that was OK in your last sentence. I Hope I'll have the same luck as you one day! :cheers:

I ran the 036 and 066 Stihl saws to get the branches off and the tree on the ground. I ran my 036 for most of the smaller limbs, and Jeff was quite content to cut away with his 610. Later on though we had to get a little more serious and get out one of the SP125's with a 32" bar to cut up the big section of the trunk.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our weapon of choice for today. The 036 and 066, SP125, 7-10, 2-10, and Jeff's 610. I really enjoyed hearing the 6-10 and 2-10 run when Jeff was cutting with them, even if I was running the 036 at the time!

attachment.php

Looks a bit different across the street this afternoon.

attachment.php

Later on as we were piling it up, I convinced Jeff to help me move the rest of my wood pile that was left over from the past winter.

attachment.php

Now I have a little space left over for any other opportunities that may come up.

Mark

Great pics, man those hardwoods make a mess. I think I'll stick with Larch! -Sam

Mark....it looks like a good day of hard work!

I don't see the can of MAC oil any where in the pics! What's with that??? J/K!

After raking the yard and starting to move the wood pile on Thursday, continue on the wood pile before the rain on Friday then moving the latest batch of saw to storage overhead in the garage, and finally cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking this one today I am sore all over and whipped to boot.

Mark

Mark
Great post, pictures, work and subject matter as usual! Thanks!!

Younger son Josh is married and lives just a few blocks away, he and his wife have blessed up with our first and only grandson (another one within a month or so) but he's busy with his own place and things unless I can schedule him a few weeks in advance.

It is easy to bribe Jeff with a meal or two, and he still has a lot of HP left. He can pick up chunks I can barely move and set them in the splitter for me.

He has even promised to come but during the week and cleaning up the saws since I have to be gone and won't have a chance to do it for several weeks.

Mark

If I remember correctly, larch really stinks if it's dry when you cut it.

Mark

It does have it's own scent, but not much for limbs to stand up on! Like I said good post and great pics (and saws) as always- Sam

Hey Mark thanks for posting this. Looks like you had a good time. I hope to get down your way some time, been too long. I have to take the first 920 apart sometime. I was running it last winter and it backfired and quit. I couldn't get it started. I just got the other one and kept on going. Where are your travels taking you now?

Take care my friend and give my best to Jeff and Josh. JR

Hey Mark thanks for posting this. Looks like you had a good time. I hope to get down your way some time, been too long. I have to take the first 920 apart sometime. I was running it last winter and it backfired and quit. I couldn't get it started. I just got the other one and kept on going. Where are your travels taking you now?

Take care my friend and give my best to Jeff and Josh. JR

Sounds like your trigger unit is shot (the small ignition piece up by the carburetor...)

Back