Too cold lately to cut but did do something productive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman3b

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With the low temps lately I started to go a little stir crazy being cooped up in the house more then I'd like to be so I warmed up the garage and finally got to a small project I've been wanting to do a buddy had a couple old axe heads that were no longer needed since we both have log splitters so I decided to modify it into a hookaroon.

Didn't take any pictures until it was done so my bad on that, but basically just got the torch out cut my basic shape out and then about twenty minutes of grinding and fine tuning produced this

Pretty happy with how it turned out and Saturday weather was bearable to be out cutting wood (25 degrees) and I got to put it to use, I did end up drilling through the middle of it and adding a roll pin as it was starting to work its way up the handle but other then that it worked great definitely gonna be a good addition to the firewood arsenal!

With the low temps lately I started to go a little stir crazy being cooped up in the house more then I'd like to be so I warmed up the garage and finally got to a small project I've been wanting to do a buddy had a couple old axe heads that were no longer needed since we both have log splitters so I decided to modify it into a hookaroon.

Didn't take any pictures until it was done so my bad on that, but basically just got the torch out cut my basic shape out and then about twenty minutes of grinding and fine tuning produced this

Pretty happy with how it turned out and Saturday weather was bearable to be out cutting wood (25 degrees) and I got to put it to use, I did end up drilling through the middle of it and adding a roll pin as it was starting to work its way up the handle but other then that it worked great definitely gonna be a good addition to the firewood arsenal!
put the head,,in a used pail of engine oil. will swell the wood permanently...

Very nice.

I am looking for one for a friend and was surprised how expensive factory made pickaroons are for what little is there. Cheapest I have found online was Council for $40.

that looks down rite handy.. probably the best working azz picker at this time! I have had to set a few wedges at times with a regular roon with little luck! so would you do this for others and at what price?

How cold it too cold to not work outside?

I usually give up if it's colder than -20*, not that it's fun when it's near that temp, but it seems that's when my phone is ringing off the hook for firewood?

that looks down rite handy.. probably the best working azz picker at this time! I have had to set a few wedges at times with a regular roon with little luck! so would you do this for others and at what price?

Not really interested in making some for others as I have enough projects of my own but simple enough to make and yes it was from the old axe head which I was able to have enough material to make another one but that's something my buddy can come help with and we can enjoy a few cold ones while were at it!

I usually give up if it's colder than -20*, not that it's fun when it's near that temp, but it seems that's when my phone is ringing off the hook for firewood?

Personal preference for me anything below 15 degrees is not very enjoyable, I don't sell wood only cut for my own heat and help a few buddys. Ideal cutting temp is around 30 and with this past week -20 not counting the windchill I didn't wanna be outside long enough to get from the woodshed to the woodburner!

Haha. I get bundled up pretty well and it's not too bad. The big pain is getting all the equipment warmed up. I have a block heater and hydraulic tank heater on the processor. When it's that cold I leave them plugged in while it's running, otherwise it won't make enough heat to run well.
The skid steer gets parked in the shop. I left it out once and the rubber tracks did not like that at all!
Working in the cold, I guess just get used to it. For a while when I was in the Air Force I had a desk job and it was pretty rough just bringing my firewood in at -10*... now that I'm used to it, I hardly even notice it's cold.

The crazy thing is it's pouring rain today, about 40*. Very abnormal for February! I could nearly cut my lawn, it's starting to turn green.

Very nice.

I am looking for one for a friend and was surprised how expensive factory made pickaroons are for what little is there. Cheapest I have found online was Council for $40.

Yep. I refused to buy one for many a year due to what I thought was an inflated price. The first time I used mine after finally buying it, I kicked my rear for not buying one years prior. I still consider them overpriced but worth every penny.

Harry K

Anything less than 32 degrees, you'll find me firmly planted indoors unless the boiler needs to be loaded. I tried working in low 20's yesterday and had to burn a brush pile to stay warm. Ended up just clearing brush and ignored the wood processing. Clearing brush kept me close to the fire.

Love those re purposed tools great job. Enjoy.

Anything less than 32 degrees, you'll find me firmly planted indoors unless the boiler needs to be loaded. I tried working in low 20's yesterday and had to burn a brush pile to stay warm. Ended up just clearing brush and ignored the wood processing. Clearing brush kept me close to the fire.

wow. hey its all relative to your demographic, IMHO. I think wood splits easiest after a few days of below 0. and swinging a maul is an excellent heater. plus saves me from joining a gym. i have a splitter i just like the exercise.

Back