Too cold lately to cut but did do something productive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. hey its all relative to your demographic, IMHO.

Yessir......heck I won't even hunt if it's less than 40. I typically hunt early archery season and then hang it up after the weather turns. At least when a guy is cutting wood, he's keeping up his body heat.......sitting in a windy deer stand 20 feet up, not so much. Two things I hate most in life are being hungry, and being cold. :D

wow. hey its all relative to your demographic, IMHO. I think wood splits easiest after a few days of below 0. and swinging a maul is an excellent heater. plus saves me from joining a gym. i have a splitter i just like the exercise.

Same here. Nothing like an hour of splitting to get the old body ready for he day. I drage the splitter out very rarely.

Harry K

I prefer to cut when it's cold. If the temps climb up near freezing the potential of finding a soft spot and getting stuck is too high. Sitting a 7k 4x4 with another 5k in the bed on its axles sucks. Cut with my dad on Saturday. Started out just below zero in a pair of uninsulated carhart bits flannel shirt and carhart chore coat. And my trusty ol orange tobogan hat. A neck gator or bachlava is handy if the wind is bad. Only button the coat to keep the wood chips out. If you're gettin cold then you ain't work'n hard enough.

With the low temps lately I started to go a little stir crazy being cooped up in the house more then I'd like to be so I warmed up the garage and finally got to a small project I've been wanting to do a buddy had a couple old axe heads that were no longer needed since we both have log splitters so I decided to modify it into a hookaroon.

Didn't take any pictures until it was done so my bad on that, but basically just got the torch out cut my basic shape out and then about twenty minutes of grinding and fine tuning produced this

Pretty happy with how it turned out and Saturday weather was bearable to be out cutting wood (25 degrees) and I got to put it to use, I did end up drilling through the middle of it and adding a roll pin as it was starting to work its way up the handle but other then that it worked great definitely gonna be a good addition to the firewood arsenal!

Nice work Motoman...slick!!

Latest posts

Back